Classic Fantasy A Town Beseiged
Okay, it looks like I'm going to try for my first ever solo fantasy game. I'll use HeroForge to track my character. To start off, let’s get some stats. 4d6 drop the lowest. STRENGTH?

18 = 3[d6]+6[d6]+4[d6]+5[d6]

Looks like strength is 15. DEXTERITY?

17 = 6[d6]+2[d6]+3[d6]+6[d6]

Another 15! CONSTITUTION?

17 = 1[d6]+5[d6]+5[d6]+6[d6]

16 it is. Hopefully a possible fighter here. INTELLIGENCE?

11 = 3[d6]+2[d6]+1[d6]+5[d6]

And we have a winner at 10. How about WISDOM?

16 = 4[d6]+6[d6]+2[d6]+4[d6]

14, very good! And finally CHARISMA?

17 = 6[d6]+6[d6]+1[d6]+4[d6]

And another 16! Okay, moment of truth - just who the heck am I?

Boastful rogue.

Of course I am. Okay, so let's go with Willama "The Wisp", a 16 year old 5'1" , 140 pound human girl in the town of Orham. What are three skills that I'm REALLY good at?

Cartography.

Nature lore.

Smelting.

Cartography, Nature Lore, and Smelting? So I imagine that as an inquisitive and proud young lass I was orphaned an apprenticed to one of the local blacksmiths, which accounts for my strength and hearty body. The man was a drunken lout, however, and I spent most of my formative years sneaking away from the town and spending time in the neighboring woods, reading from scrolls and books about the surrounding lands, wondering about what adventures I might be able to have if I was just able to escape this one horse town. What three things do I just seem incapable of doing?

Alchemy.

Wilderness survival.

Drinking.

Alchemy, Wilderness Survival, and Drinking? It turns out that just reading about how to live off the land and actually doing it are two different things. I try hard to learn, and I'm out there surrounding myself in those trees and sounds of the animals every day, but I just haven't really had the opportunity or ability to learn just how to stay out there. As for the drinking and alchemy, have you SEEN my blacksmith Master? No? That's because he's passed out drunk next to the homemade still he put next to the cooling vat - using the cooling vat's water. Yeah, that's not going to happen to me. Some good old water is fine for me. At least I've made some money in this apprenticeship. I wonder how much. (5d4*10)

14 = 1[d4]+4[d4]+3[d4]+3[d4]+3[d4]

140gp should be more than enough to help me out of Orham, if it ever comes to that.

It's dark right now though, and I know for a fact that my Master is laughing away at the local tavern, The Blind Basilisk. (The owner has a supposed basilisk head mounted above the fireplace. He claims he killed it by poking its eyes out with a fire poker. I think it still just looks like a big iguana head.) I don't really like being out in the forest at night, but there's no way I'm staying in that crap hay-strewn room at the smithy’s. I think it's time to practice my climbing. Time to scramble to the top of that building! Do I make it?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but... +Twist: NPC / Appears

Of course I do! I'm getting better all the time, naturally. Unfortunately I am not as quiet as I am trying to be, however, and I catch the voice of someone from inside of the house opening the front door. Who do I see?

Attentive recluse.

I was on top of the ramshackle house of the local crackpot, Valatar, so it was no surprise when I saw him walk out with a lantern and look towards me. I hope that I hide from his sight fast enough.

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes.

I hold my breath and a giggle as I hear the cranky bastard grumbling about squirrels and rats before he returns to his home and loudly shuts the door. I sigh and roll on my back, taking in the refreshing breeze and the stillness of the night. In this moment of silence, however, a strange sound catches my attention.

Dire animal.

Hearing the quick shuffling of feet on the edge of the tree line I sit up and look in the direction of the noise. It is difficult to see in the dark, but I can see two pairs of red eyes quickly approaching the main road into town to the south. A break in the clouds causes the moonlight to shine down upon the creatures, a pair of giant rats, almost two feet long each! Gasping, I stand to my feet and catch a quick glance around town. There are only two other people out in the street that I can see, a man seemingly pissing on the side of the tavern and another man talking to him. With little time left for thought I leap from the roof of the building and to the main road below. Do I land safely?

(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...

Oh gods, that hurt! In my excitement I didn't bother to correctly judge the jump down and I ended up yelping loudly as I tumbled painfully to the ground.

(5 = 10[d20]+-5) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

(9hp-1=8hp left) I grunt as I quickly get back to my feet and dust myself off. The pain from the tumble seems to have been more from mental surprise than actual physical injury. But do the rats hear my cry?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

I look down the road to see the outline of the two dire rats about 60 feet away from me where they suddenly stop upon hearing my cry and begin sniffing the air for other possible creatures or people near them. Do the two people next to the tavern or anyone else happen to hear me?

(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No.

I whip my head behind me only to find that the two people were no longer next to the tavern, having most likely returned inside to their abhorrent drink. I cast my gaze back in front of me and see that the rats are charging towards me! With the tavern almost 60 feet behind me, and the rats having a head start, I don't think that I will be able to make the tavern in time. I whip out my two daggers, which I proudly made myself, and begin backing towards the tavern, keeping a steady eye on the charging creatures. One closes in quicker than the other and takes a flying leap at my chest, but I am ready for it! Do I get in the first strike?

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No.

The weight and swiftness of the beast does not allow me to strike a blow before it attempts to bite me on the shoulder! With no armor and only cloth between its fangs and my skin, does it find purchase?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

With a grunt I push the creature away from my body, aiming it at the second dire rat. Do they collide?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yes, but...

The first rat flies into the second one, preventing the second one from making its own charging leap at me as it shakes its head and hisses at me. Flipping the hilt of my daggers in both of my hands I lunge towards the first rat and thrust both of my blades forward, hoping for a hit.

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

(20 = 20[d20]) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

(16 = 16[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

(Rat HP 5-4-3=-2) My body, filled with rage and fear, is a blur as both of my blades slice open the throat of the dire rat, its vile crimson blood splattering my shirt and the road. It doesn't even have the time to screech as it falls to the ground; it's long, wiry tail twitching for a few moments before becoming completely lifeless. Breathing a sigh of relief I quickly turn my attention to the remaining dire rat, which begins slowly pacing a few feet in front of me, hissing and lashing its whip-like tail. I stared into its dark red eyes, wondering what it was going to do next.

Intolerance.

The rat is apparently indifferent towards my abject slaughter of its kin, and, with a powerful thrust of its hind legs, leaps towards me, teeth bared! Can I dodge it?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

I deftly sidestep the beast as it flies through the air, and I take the position where it once was, as it takes mine, now directly between me and the tavern. I can see fluid filled pustules around this creature’s snout, and I know that one bite from that beast and there is a high chance that I could be inflicted with some terrible plague. Screeching loudly at me it suddenly turns and quickly scampers towards the tavern. I think of those teeth as I watch in shock - I'm just 16, I don't want to die. If I chase after it, there's a good chance that I will die... but what if I could stop it and it kills someone else? Briefly lost in thought, I glanced down the street to see if the rat's screeching attracted any attention.

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes. +Twist: PC / Alters the location

Honest expert.

Before me and behind me I see doors opening and heads poking out, curious at the beastly sound. A few scattered screams begin to fill the air along with the shuttering of doors. "That's it," I think to myself. "There's no way I'll let this thing hurt anyone in this town - I don't care how much of a craphole it is!" I am not able to take even a single step before there is a strong pull on my arm and I stumble backwards into the armored body of Peron, the oldest and most sober hunter in the town.

"Get into my house, you fool!" he growls at me, his long sword unsheathed and at the ready. His head quickly turned as he scanned the surrounding with wide, tired eyes.

I wrench myself out of his grasp and take a few steps back. I'm not threatened, but I don't like being touched. "Don't worry old man, I already killed one! It's just a dire rat. Another one is headed down the street and it's going to attack someone if we don't do something about it!"

The old hunter growled and grabbed my head with his huge, calloused hand, and forcibly twists my gaze towards the south part of town, where the rats had originally come from, and where my back has been turned to for the past minute... My eyes widened as I spied at least a dozen more pairs of crimson eyes rushing towards the town. The ground rumbled ever so slightly from the stampede about to invade my town. With a pained look to Peron I run into his house, as ordered.

"EVERYONE STAY INSIDE YOUR HOMES! LOCK YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS! DON'T LET ANYTHING IN!" he yells before retreating into his house, slamming the wooden door shut and setting the latch. My heart pounds in my chest as I sheathe my daggers and begin latching the three wooden shutters over the windows of the house. Peron grunts as he pushes a large desk before his front door. With the desk firmly in place he sighs and looks to me with a steely gaze. "Damnit, child, why didn't you alert us that there were rats besieging us?"

I open my mouth, though no words come out, because I am still unsure as to just what was happening. The rumbling is getting louder now. "I was... I just... There were only two. I swear there were only two... I thought I could help..."

"Help!?" he roared, angrily brandishing his blade. "Help would have been alerting the town so we could prepare! Help would have been ringing the warning bell on the north side of town! Two rats. Two damn rats!? Dire rats ALWAYS travel in packs! You stupid girl!" He caught his breath and anxiously paces inside of his sparsely furnished house.

I stand there, gasping, on the verge of tears. I don't know what I did wrong. I just wanted to help. The rumbling is right outside of the door now. I can already hear the screams of my neighbors and friends...

(To be continued.)
Hi Eclipse,

Thanks for sharing! Great story and great use of the tools -- very creative.
Mark, thank you so very much for your praise and for this wonderful application / website! I think it is pure genius. I've been on a bad writer's block lately and this RPGSolo just totally kicked that wall down. I have so many ideas flooding in my head as to what I want to do with this character now... as long as the program will let me. Smile Well, let's see what happens!

The cries of my neighbors and screeching of the dire rats had subsided many hours ago. Peron will not let me leave his house until sunrise. Somehow, I manage to steal away a few hours of restless sleep. When I wake the light of the morrow's sun peeks through the trees surrounding the eastern part of the town, breaking between the slatted shutters of the hunter's house. The old man was nowhere to be found. I place a hand gingerly upon the unlatched front door. Does it open?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

I slowly open the wooden door and peer about the main street of Orham. Signs of the flood of rats remain scattered about the street. Do I see any victims of the rats?

(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes. +Twist: NPC / Appears

I catch my breath as I view the bodies of my neighbors in the streets. The number was few, yet far too many. Already survivors were dragging the deceased together near the town square, past the tavern. A few houses down I see Peron hug a lady, I think the tavernmaster's wife, and pat her on the back before he walks towards me. I shut the door and walk to meet him.

"We're almost done gathering everyone up," he says to me, with naught a hint of emotion. "There's going to be a town meeting within the hour. I suggest you come."

I look up and down the street, still in shock and surprise. "Look, Peron," I begin, but he cuts me off with a raise of his hand.

"No, no... you don't have to say anything. I was too harsh on you. There was nothing you could have done. Those... things... are strangers to this part of the country. There was no way you could have known."

I smile meekly and nod. "Aye... thank you. I think I want to get some fresh air before the meeting." The old hunter nodded in agreement and turned away from me, walking towards another fallen neighbor. I didn't really call anyone here my friend, but... no one deserved this.

I'd like to go to my hiding spot under the group of shady trees, just a 15 minute walk from here. Do I see anything along the way?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

Cloak.

Searching the cloak I'm surprised to find that the wear and tear to the fabric did not seem to come from any attack by the rats. In fact, I remember that I've been wondering when Bolo was going to replace this thing since it was so worn out. In an inside pocket I find an empty flask, and, despite my dislike of the man, my eyes light up in the hopes that he wasn't at the tavern when the rats struck, and was out here for a solitary nightcap! With a sudden flash of concern I dash back to the town square. I slow down when I reach the edge, and I can see the row of fallen villagers. There appeared to be...

11 = 4[d8]+7[d8]

...11 people laying lifelessly upon the ground, with what appeared to be the whole town, all 100 people, filling up the square. Brushing some people aside, I took a look at the bodies. Was my master among them?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

I breathe a sigh of relief, yet remain concerned and worried. I haven't seen him yet... I'm sure he's okay.

A tap on the shoulder alerts me to Peron, who gestures towards the center of the square where the mayor is standing upon a wooden platform, overlooking us all. A stout yet boisterous man, the mayor raises his hands to lessen the din of the square.

"Everyone, everyone please quiet down!" he calls out. Does the crowd listen to him?

(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...

While some people cease their conversations it is still not enough for the mayor's voice to be heard over everyone. A sudden sharp pounding sound upon the wooden platform quickly stops all conversations. A large, heavily armored man behind the mayor stoically stands still and looks upon the crowd; it is obvious that he had stomped upon the platform to get our attention. I recognize this man as a recently hired mercenary bodyguard for the mayor.

"Thank you, Ash," the mayor says, and then turns to the crowd. "As you all know, last night we were beset by beasts from the forest. We do not yet know where these creatures came from, but know that they are not native to our good land! Sadly, many of our friends and family did not make it through the night..." He trails off as the crowd all looks towards the bodies upon the ground. No one makes a sound. "Sadder still," he pauses with a noticeable sigh and looks in my direction, specifically to Peron, "I fear that for those of us who survived this ordeal, our troubles may not yet be over. Hunter Peron, if you will?"

Peron walks to the center of the square, but stops before the platform and turns. "Good folk whom I have called friends and neighbors for these past five years, I have seen these creatures before in my travels. Though they are easily defeated, they bring with them a vile affliction - the filth fever." The rumbling of the crowd begins to rise before he raises his hand and all fall silent. "I will not lie to you, friends. This affliction sets in quickly. Within days, the infected will have hot fevers. After that, painful boils... And soon loss of sensation in limbs. Within nine days... an infected man will perish."

The crowd erupts in a cacophony of shrieks and cries from those assembled. Shouts of "What can we do?" fill the air. There is no medic in our town, or chiurgeon. The only priest is a lowly acolyte of Ehlonna who watches over the little temple outside of town. The Father perished of old age last year, but so far as I know the clergy has yet to send a replacement. I keep my mouth shut and watch in silence.

"There is yet hope, friends!" Peron yells out, dulling the roar of the crowd somewhat. "One of our number must go north, to Faymoor, and bring back a priest as soon as possible!" There is murmur of thought as the villagers considered this option. "Will you go for us?" asked a female voice to cheers of approval.

The mayor quickly spoke up before Peron could respond. "No no no, Master Peron must stay, should the beasts return!"

Amid the murmurs of consent and discontent I weigh my options. This could finally be the chance for me to do something with my life, and it wasn't even at all that complicated! Faymoor was a huge city, at least ten times the size of Orham. And all I would have to do is travel there, find a priest, and travel back. I'd be praised as a hero and might finally get the respect I deserve from these people. My mind made up, I stride towards the wooden podium, catching the knowing gaze of Peron. I stand next to him and face the crowd.

"I will go. I will go!" I yell out. Everyone quiets down and stares at me. The mayor cocks his head towards me, looking to his bodyguard and then back to me. "Ahhh, the young Wisp wants to volunteer?" I stare at him with my arms crossed and say nothing. "Yes, yes," he murmurs, then pauses in thought before facing an expectant crowd. "Willama shall go to Faymoor and acquire the aid we need!" he announces proudly. After brief moment slow claps rustle through the crowd, and within seconds there is full on cheering. During the commotion the mayor pulls me aside. "You'd better know what you're doing girl. But I assure you that I will not let you do this alone. Meet me at the Temple of Ehlonna at midday." He bids me to return to face the crowd, though my racing thoughts of my decision overpower the throng's adulation.

With the sun high in the sky I arrive at the Temple of Ehlonna, just a few minutes walk to the north of town down the main road. The building is small, smaller than The Blind Basilisk, which should come as no surprise, but it services the community well. Peron, along with the mayor and his bodyguard, await me by the front door. Alongside them is a small pony and cart.

"Here comes the savior of Orham, now!" chuckles the mayor, his arms stretched towards me. He grasps my hand and leads me towards the cart. "Now, I want to make sure that you are fully aware of what your job is." He turns from the cart with a scroll case in each hand and thrusts one towards me. "This here is a letter from me to the Mayor of Faymoor. Gain an audience with him and show him the scroll, and he will be certain to assist you in providing us with a healer. And this," he offers me the second scroll case, which appears to be far more grandiose in design and craftsmanship than the other, "is a personal favor for me. I am in a conversation with Umolan, Captain of the Faymoor Guard. Since you are going to be in the area anyway, I would appreciate it if you could see that he gets this response from me." I pocket both scroll cases into my satchel.

Peron steps forward and pats the pony on the head. "Bill, here, will help you along your way. I see that you have gathered your own supplies, but the townsfolk have also chipped in to assist you to the city." What five items has the town given me?

Club.

I heft the club in my hand and give it a once over before putting it back into the cart. I couldn't think of any immediate uses for such a weapon, but I was not going to complain. I'm surprised these backwater people even thought to give me a cart!

Trail rations.

Though I tried to pack enough food and water for the trip there, extra food and provisions is always a welcome sight.

Superb quill and ink.

Looking at the quill and ink I raise my eye towards the mayor. "Ah, that there is mine," he explains. "Never miss a chance to practice your letters, I say! Plus, should you be held up at the town, you can send word back to us."

Lamp oil.

As with the trail provisions, extra oil for my lamp is always useful. I am genuinely surprised by the thoughtfulness of these townsfolk.

Shield.

The small shield was made of strong wood, lined with metal along the trim. I could tell that this was one of Bolo's creations - the dentwork where the metal bends being indicative of his inebriation when the shield was made.

"Well, thank you both," I say, and grab the pony's harness. "I will return soon - it is a two day trip to the city, so expect me back within five days."

"Not so fast, young lady," the mayor quips, walking towards the temple door. "You forgot that I said that I would not be sending you alone."

"I was hoping you would forget that. Honestly, mayor, I do not need anyone to take care of me. I slew one of those beasts last night with naught a drop of sweat. I'll be fine to the city and back."

"Look at it from my perspective - I need my town safe. Should one person fall, the other can return with what we need. It's that simple. Plus it'll do the boy some good."

Boy? Oh no, please tell me it isn't so. The mayor, his bodyguard, and Peron all stare at me as I stand next to the Temple door. "Oh fine," I sigh, and open the door. Do I see anyone around?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

The temple was completely empty,at least from what I could see. The only light came through the windows, as the ceremonial candles had not even been lit yet. I step in and call out. "Lukhas?" Was there a response?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

My words echo through the temple and I walk in further. As I stand before the pulpit I hear... snoring? Peering behind the pulpit there lay Lukhas, acolyte priest of Ehlonna, fast asleep in his garb, clutching a staff. I looked back at the open doorway and the mayor just shrugs at me. You have got to be kidding me. I poke the priest with my boot. Does he rouse?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

For the love of... I look around me and see a basin of holy water. With a smirk I pick up the bowl and pour its cold contents over Lukhas' head. NOW does he rouse?

(Sure Thing | 9[d10]) Yes.

The young priest sputters and coughs as he raises to his feet, clutching his staff in a defensive manner. "Gods above and below! What do you think you're doing!?"

"You're coming with me, priest. We have some work to do for the town."

He wipes excess water from his hair and looks at me, still dripping. "Work? What work? Ceremonies aren't until this evening!"

I sigh and stare him down. "We're going to fix up our little rat problem from last night."

"Rats? What rats?"

I stared at him, looked back towards the mayor, and then back to the drenched priest. "You mean to tell me you slept through everything last night!?" Lukhas just looks at me with confusion. "Oh this is going to be great. Come on, you have some catching up to do..."

I'm sorry for the lack of much action in this scene - I just kind of wanted to setup the plot hook for Wisp. I am really excited by this. When I started this last night I had absolutely no idea what I was in for, and now I can't wait to see what happens next! Hopefully there will be more action next time! I'm still trying to figure out just when the appropriate time is to use the myriad of tools as well, instead of just going off and telling my own story. It seems like there should be a good temperment of both.
Action does not make a story good. Good characters and a good story make a story good.

Do not worry about pandering to those with no appreciation for depth and plot.

Take all the time you want. Write for yourself first. If you do not enjoy it then it will show.

As for striking a good balance between the tool and your imagination, I think you are doing a good job.

Personally I would say use your imagination first. Then if you are stuck or cannot decide on the direction to go then use the tool. But that's just me.

Thanks!
Great writing, interesting story and characters - this is a fantastic start!

I agree with Mark - in fact, if I open a play report and see more stats and combat than story, I don't bother reading further - I'm not saying those kind of reports don't belong in this forum, I'm just saying that I personally like the story and the characters more than the hack 'n slash.

On top of that, I'm a slow and easily distracted reader and I prefer to write, so a story really has to grab me if it has any length, otherwise I won't finish it - your story certainly grabbed me.

I look forward to reading more of The Wisp's adventure :]