Science Fiction MegaMek - Assault on Lyons (BattleTech Universe)
#1
Big Grin 
Background
I've always enjoyed aspects of the BattleTech universe, having grown up with one of the original old-style boxed sets as a teen and then getting into the old Battleforce (regimental combat with mechs with engagements at the multi-lance level).

Back then, I picked up the “The Fourth Succession War: Military Atlas Vol 1" book, and in typical nerd fashion, I consumed battles and tactical diagrams. (I still own the book, btw, but after seeing what this one is going for that Amazon link, I should probably consider selling it!)

I even started my own mech company, dubbed the “1st Hessian Guards” and played solo battles in both BattleTech and Battleforce that resulted in a few of my own tactical drawings of some battles on lined paper.

Regarding Battleforce, a fun Thanksgiving memory I have is when I was fifteen, my nephew--who is only three years younger than I and is more like a younger brother--and I stayed up nearly all night hurling lances of mechs against each other in Battleforce. (I still remember the battle...Heavy artillery and bombing runs obliterating my heavy and assault mechs when they very slowly tried to reach to the front lines to rescue the remainder of my force.).

MegaMek / MekHQ
Anyway, fast forward a couple of decades and I discovered MegaMek, a free Java-based fan-created way to play BattleTech--not quite Battleforce but a step in the right direction--with integrated dice rollers etc. (If you’ve played BattleTech before, you know how slow the game can be and so using a tool to do the calculations etc saves a lot of time). You can also play against AI bots.

Somewhat more recently, three years ago, in 2019, I discovered that the fans of MegaMek have also created a larger suite of tools, including a free military campaign management tool called MekHQ (also in Java). The sheer amount of things you can do is amazing: Manage mechs, mechwarriors, repairs, wounds, journeys on jump ships, promotions, run battles, track the aftermath, etc. And it keeps track of all the math, costs, etc.

2019 Campaign in RpgSolo
So, back in 2019, I thought, why not resurrect my old 1st Hessian Guards and try to use rpgsolo.com along with MekHQ and MegaMek to try and run a somewhat realistic military campaign.

Below are my rpgsolo.com oracle results that I used to help me come up with several battles that I fought during a still-ongoing campaign of the 1st Hessian Guards to help wrest control of the planet of Lyons. (Sorry I don't have any pics of the actual battles, but I have included some screenshots of the aftermath of a smaller engagement I had, to give you a feel for the MekHQ tool.)

Maybe a fellow nerd out there might find something to enjoy in this thread!
Reply
#2


(Sure Thing | 8[d10]) Yes


The company has taken over a remote Mech Factory. They've been able to make repairs and have conducted operations out of that location. Now, enemies are closing in and it's time to leave.


They have six days before the Lyran forces arrive.


Is there a left torso for the Jenner?


(Likely | 4[d10]) No


Is there heavy industrial armor?


(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But not much. 2d100 units.


129 = 71[d100]+58[d100]


Is there a jenner left arm?


(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


Enemy forces will arrive May 11 in Force


Can we find a buyer for the gold in 6 days?


(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...


In 7 days...


Will our drop ship arrive in four days at the factory?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


On the fourth day?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


That's the day we're attacked. It sounds like we'll need to load up while under fire.


Do we have time to set mines?


(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And we have extra set up.


Does the force make it to the dropship without casualties?


(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


=== We're now in Lyons === June 17, 3025


We'll be operating out of our dropship.


Can we sell the gold?


(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes


Is it more than 10 mil?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


More than 15 mil?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes


More than 15 mil?


(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


We land and set up a defensive position and send out scouts to gather intel.


Is the rest of the regiment within support distance?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But what?


Officially / Disgusting


The stomach flu has ravaged them and so they're slow to respond to support requests.


June 18, 3025
-------------


Where are our forces? Near enemy supply base?


(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And it's lightly defended.


Are there any known meks?


(50/50 | 3[d10]) No


So vehicles?


(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


Infantry?


(Likely | 4[d10]) No


More than 2 mil worth of parts?


(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


Medium and Light lances move out.


June 19, 3025


-------------


Tomorrow, they'll reach the supply depot. Do they meet anything on the way?


(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


Enemy?


(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes


Do they surprise the enemy?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


Yes, but if they don't wipe them out soon, they'll call in reinforcements.


Meks?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 5[d10]) No


Vehicles then?


(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...


Then it must be infantry on patrol. Two platoons.


Better than standard foot?


(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


They have a brief tangle with two platoons of infantry. The ~45 men are wiped out to a man.


June 21, 3025
-------------


APCs are ordered to pick up prisoners as the mechs continue to make their way to the supply depot.


Lt JG Randy Cadolaba - suffers a laceration on his head.
Vile Kaukonen a bruise on his left leg.


Trainees go with APCs to pick up prisoners.


Trainees, APCs, and some techs are following on behind for field repairs.


Do they arrive in the morning?


(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes


dawn?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But it's bright... so basically when the sun is out.


Is there more than a squadron of vehicles?


(Likely | 4[d10]) No


Only 4 vehicles... nice.


Any heavies?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


hover and tracked?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


hover?


(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes


missles?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


any apcs?


(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...


Some rovers with MGs.

2 = +1 +0 +1 +0 0


Is the weather clear?


(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes


calm wind?


(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...


Is the temp cold?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


After a brief firefight the mechs overwhelmed the lightly armored defenders and captured the supplies in the island depot.


Do they find a jenner torso in the supply depot?


(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


It takes two more days to get back to the drop ship's landing site.


So Jun 23 is when the two lances get back.


June 23
--------
The Med and Light lances return. Salvage crews bring back the wrecking hulks of the tanks. Repairs are completed on mech damages. Salvaging started on the captured tanks.

1 = +1 -1 +1 +0 0


June 24
-------
Medium and Light lances are set out on scouting.


What is the terrain like around the drop ship landing site?


Mountainous?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but...


Hills and forest.


Is there a lake or river?


(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...


Nearest water sources is at the supply depot lake.


June 28
--------
Contract officially starts


We have landed in either the north or the south if we were having cold weather in June and we weren't in the mountains.


Are we in the north?


(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes


It's been 11 days since we landed. What intel do we have. MAG:


Mechs are combing the country side.


Drop ship is in wooded area with camo and running in low power mode.


Are they moving towards us?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No


Are they close by?


(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...


They're out of range of any strike.


We'll keep our scouts out and wait for orders.


Do we get orders?


(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes


What are they?


Befriend / Dispute


Sounds like we are attacking something?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


Our drop ship is taking off it sounds like and we'll be moving south.


If there was a supply depot, its likely there was something by that.


A town or base?


(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


A town and a military base.


How far away is it? 2d8 days (minimum of 4)


15 = 7[d8]+8[d8]


Fifteen days out.
Enemy morale is low. We'll be attacking that. It'll take us approximately until July 16 to get there.


We pack up and start heading out.


We're moving in a reverse V formation. Flankers Light and Medium lances are out at the tips of the V. At the vertix are the trainees, the vehicles, and the support and HQ personnel. Heavies are in between so they can respond to anything the M or L lances run into or can pull back to guard the personnel. Trainees are guarding the HQ etc.


July 13, 3025
-------------
We're two days out. We'll send our light Aerospace VTOL fighter to get high altitude intel.


He's being careful. Do they have any air support that we've detected yet?


(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And they've detected us. How many do they have. More than 3 units? (VU)

-2 = +0 +0 -1 -1 0


(Very Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


More than 2?

2 = +0 +1 +0 +1 0


(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


So they have just one unit. Is it L, M, or H (1d3).


2 = 2[d3]


It's a medium.


Ours will try to disengage. Can he? Veteren vs. Low morale = L


(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes


Both are sent up to remove the troublesome vehicle.


Is he regular?


(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...


Green?


(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes


July 14
----------
Our M and L aerospace fighters fought for control of the skies. They chased off the enemy war-bird blowing off much of its armor. We then make passes to get intel on what's in the urban city / base.


This is an enemy military base. Are their mechs?


(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes +Twist: Organization / Helps the hero


(Sounds like we get some House Kurita help on this assault. Nice.


Do they have any heavies?


(50/50 | 3[d10]) No


Mediums?


(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


Can they field a company?


(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...


They're an understrength company. Two lances of mechs (A light lance and a heavy lance) were seeing leaving the base. (possibly due to low morale).


Or maybe for something else... Hmmm.


We'll keep our L AS vehicle high above trailing the lances and giving us intel. We move up our remaining forces to attack. Artillery will be in back.
Those assaulting will be M lance, H lance, + artillery + M AS.


The other tanks, training lance and light lance, and command lance will remain in defense of the command post and supplies.


Is there enemy infantry in the base?


(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


APC and tanks too?


(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


Any woods near the city?


(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...


Water near the city?


(Likely | 3[d10]) No


Are the enemy defenders green?


(50/50 | 3[d10]) No


Any veteren skilled?


(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...


any mountains or cliffs?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


is the weather rough?


(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


wind bad?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but...


July 15
---------
In a brutal fight, we captured the city.
We captured two crippled mechs.


The rest of our company rolls up into the city and takes up defensive positions.


We check the supplies in the city.


Do we get any free parts?


(Likely | 4[d10]) No


Wow. They must've offloaded it with those two lances that headed further south.


Any standard armor?


(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...


Some primitive armor.


Any ammo?


(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes


That's good. We can at least resupply.


Can they find a fire control system?


(50/50 | 3[d10]) No


July 20, 3025
--------------
It's been five days since the assault on New Haven.


What is the mood in the city among the populace?


Efficiently / Quaint


They're quiet and quelled.

0 = +0 +1 -1 +0 0


We need some foot soldiers. Are any looking to join us?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No


We have three lances on scout duty and one aero on recon.


July 27, 3025
-------------


Any orders from regimental?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But they're garbled.


Due to weather?


(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...


But something else is jamming them. We'll send out scout lance.


Does the recon plane spot something jamming comms?


(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes


A mobile jamming unit?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But they spot the plane and move under cover of trees.


We send out a 2 scout lances to the location.


Do they find anything?


(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


A mech?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


Must be part of some recon jamming lance.


Are their vehicles with them?


(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


Yes, but not initially. They'll arrive as reinforcements should we engage.


Are their other heat sigs from other mechs around?


(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...


But they're far away and won't be part of this engagement.


Is the jamming mech a light mech?


(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And it's something we've not seen before... Advanced tech?


July 28
-------------
The enemy mech was destroyed and its core computer was captured, gaining us valuable intelligence.


With the jamming mech gone, we can get a core signal through to regimental HQ.


Also what is strategically or tactically important about the city we captured, other than wiping out its garrison of troops?


Energetically / Juvenile


Ah, I see. It contains an academy with young eager beaver mechwarriors.

3 = +1 +0 +1 +1 0


What are these eager beaver types up to now that the city is captured an 1st Hessian Guards are patrolling the streets?


Decrease / Outside


They're nervous and staying indoors, out of sight.


Does regimental order us to continue to hold the city?


(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


What are they doing?


Transform / Wishes


They're rotating troops at the moment, moving other to the front line ahead of us, pushing further to the south. In a few days we'll be safer behind our own lines.


How many more days (1d6)?


6 = 6[d6]


Because of the captured intel and the low enemy moral, this results in an initiative bonus for future combats in this sector.


Special events. Reinforcements. For our company?


(50/50 | 2[d10]) No


Drat!


Oh well. At least the other companies in the regiment get something sweet.


August 3, 3025
---------------
The other companies of the regiment have passed us by now. Our troops get some R and R.


What's the terrain like south of Lyons where the regiment is at? Mountains?


(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes


There's a mountain range to cross. Other companies try to break through the pass. Do they?


(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


August 4, 3025.
----------------
Follow on forces with supplies pass by to regimental. Any missing parts that we need?


(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And we get 1d6 free parts of our choice.


6 = 6[d6]


Nice!


We'll get some armor for the other two. Parts. Two of 80 each so 160.


August 9, 3025
--------------
Are we ordered out?


(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...


No, but we're ordered to get scouts out again.
How is regimental doing on the other side of the mountains?


Abnormally / Graceful


Appear to be going well. Smooth even. Too smooth?


(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes


... hmmm .... perhaps the rest of the regiment is being drawn into a trap.


We'll send out our scouts into the mountains to ensure they're not flanked.


Do our scouts spot a trap forming?


(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No


Hmmm. Did our scouts get surprised by something?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


Anything happen today?


(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes +Event: Excitement / Energy


An event causing excitement or energy.


Did forces in this sector surrender?


(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes


How many more sectors to conquer the planet? (2d4-1)


5 = 3[d4]+3[d4]-1


5... 1/5 of the way there.


I imagine we're re-stationed to a new front?


(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...


No but the rest of the regiment is. We're to maintain order  in the conquered territories.


Is there any guerrilla warfare going on?


(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes


Let's stamp that out.


August 11, 3025
----------------


Do we have any satellite photos of grueilla bases?


(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Break / Allies


Sounds like another sector surrendered. (4 more to go)


Is it far from the city?


(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes


Any mechs in Sat fotos?


(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes


Any mediums or heavies (U in a fast moving guerilla force)?


(Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes


Hmmm. Interesting.


Both?


(Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes


It sounds like they're building up for a battle of bulge event... if we defeat this, it'll surely crush remaining significant guerilla events in this sector right?


(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes +Event: Spy / Expectations


Our spy confirms that expectation.


Since our city is the most significant defense force, they'll likely try to strike at us.


I think we know where those light and heavy lances that fled New Haven ended up. And they've been joined by at least a medium lance.


How many days before they arrive (they're far away).


Do they outnumber us?


(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...


No. They're just desperate for a victory. If they get lucky and take over the city, it'll boost moral.


They have at least 3 lances of mechs, an entire company.


Do we have continual sat footage of them moving?


(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No


No. We'll send out our high flier to track their movements.


Are they indeed coming for the city?


(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes


We've had plenty of time to track and prep for them. Do we have explosives to set up mines?


(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes


Do they have any aeriel support?


(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No


It'll be a slaughter unless luck happens to be on their side.


== AFTERMATH ==
Not quite the slaughter I was hoping for. Their commander mek and a scout mek got away. The others were destroyed to a man, but it was a vicious fight. Air support was useless. The mines and artillery did help a lot. In the end, nearly every mech in my defense force was damaged. Two of the command meks were only slightly damaged. All of the others were severely hurt. Besides the artillery, all but 1 friendly vehicle were destroyed. Had I kept them in the city they could have aided in the defense when the enemy breached the walls.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)