6 = 6[d6]

The skills are:

Sleight of hand.

Healing.

Prophecy.

Poisons.

Undead lore.

Tracking.

A paranoid gambler with healing capabilities. Funny. But I am very good with card tricks and the use of poisons. Unfortunately I think undead creatures are always lurking around and I tend to try to track them down to make sure they are dead before I go to sleep every night. Tonight, I find myself at

Infested cavern.

getting ready for my mission:

Discover the obscured orphanage.

Ah yes. The orphanage. Full of undead creatures and ghosts of dead children. I don't waste anytime. I need to get out of the infested cave and go find the orphanage. Do I know, using my undead lore, where the orphanage is located?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Twist: Organization / Helps the hero

...I think the group of witch hunters in a village near by will actually help me. I grab my

Cheap puzzle box.

and go look for help. On my way to the village, however, I am confronted by a(n)

Imp.

Those demonic creatures love to ambush travelers in these lands. However I am prepared. I grab my

Crossbow bolts.

arm the crossbow and wait for the Imp to approach. I look into its eyes and fire a shot. Do I hit it?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

it attacks me back with a demonic fireball. I jump as far as I can to the right side. Does he hit me?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Causing

(15 = 14[d20]+1) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

I am in trouble. I reload and aim again as the imp runs around a few trees to make the jump on me. I wait until he is in position and shoot. Did I hit him?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

of course I did. He is only 10 feet away now. The bolt causes

(12 = 11[d20]+1) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.

Does the imp run away?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

...he is now hiding behind the trees waiting for my next move. I cannot proceed until he is actually dead. I check how many crossbow bolts I have:

1 = 1[d20]

Only one left. Not good. I reload and start to move down the path slowly. Imps are vicious creatures but know how to hide and move fast. I have to be careful. I use my Tracking skill to find the imp. Do I find the trail?

(Likely | 4[d10]) No.

He is probably hidden on top of a tree waiting for me to lower my guard. I look up. Do I see him?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes. +Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

I see him on the top of a big larch. I cannot move though otherwise he will see me too. I have to shoot to kill. I aim carefully and shoot. Do I hit it?

(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Was the hit well placed?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

The bolt caused

(20 = 20[d20]) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

Critical injury in his leg. I should have hit his head instead. No problem. He can't run anymore. I run towards the path leading to the village. Does the imp shoot me from behind?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No. +Twist: NPC / Appears

He is afraid of me and leaves me alone. Reaching the path I find a Witch Hunter! He looks

Enormously / Fresh.

fresh from rest. Ready to jump on a dangerous adventure at anytime. He knows I am the gambler that chases the undead so he seems happy to see me. I tell him about the Imp and about my mission to find the Orphanage. He says he might have a clue where the orphanage is. Opening a map he points to a location close to the hill a few miles north of us. Does his guess look reasonable?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

I tell him it doesn't seem very likely that the orphanage is there. He looks

Yieldingly / Smooth.

yieldingly saying he might be wrong. He also thinks the orphanage might be only a myth. Using my Prophecy skill I tell him about the story behind the Orphanage. Do I convince him the orphanage truly exists?

(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...

he points out to my wounds. I use my healing skills to attend to my burns. Do I get some relief from the pain?

(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...

he also helps me and after that I feel a little better. Can I proceed in my current condition?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Yes I think I can continue. I grab the map and after a few moments I show him another spot, a few miles south, where the orphanage probably is. He mentions he never traveled in that direction. Does he agree to help me?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

He says he will go back to the village to let the other Witch hunters know about my mission. Does he give me anything to help on my quest?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

he says he will send help as soon as possible. He handles me a(n)

Below average ancient relic.

Old and worn the relic look like a statue of a kid. He says that old wives tales in his village mentioned this statue came from the orphanage. He handles me the relic and I say goodbye. Upbeat, I follow the trail to the south. Do I encounter anything in the path to the orphanage?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yes, but...

It is just a

Dark beach.

The Orphanage looms over a cliff close to the beach. I proceed with caution. Looking for a trail with my tracking skills I see a

Miniature dungeon.

I avoid entering it but I know something might be guarding the path to the Orphanage. I look inside quickly. Do I see anything dangerous?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

Looks like a startled a(n)

Slaver.

He probably worked on the orphanage exploiting the work of those poor kids! I show him the relic to see his reaction:

Carelessly / Small.

but he is not moved. He carelessly move towards me with an angry face. I decide to thrown the relic at him. DO I hit him?

(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...

The relic hits the floor, opening and releasing a

Saboteur.

The saboteur of the relic! Like the old stories my mother use to tell me! Like a genie in a lamp he forms out of smoke and attacks the Slaver from behind moments before I am hit. Does he get the Slaver?

(Very Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Causing

(21 = 15[d20]+6) Killed.

his death. The Saboteur smiles and in the following second he disappears with a PUFF! Saved by a myth. I check the Slaver for any weapons or equipment and I find

Elixir.

Do I find anything else in the miniature dungeon?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

I grab the elixir. It looks pale, like milk. It is glowing lightly though. Using my poison skills I decide to check what this elixir does. Do I find out?

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

The elixir is actually a

Detect/disarm traps.

Elixir! Good. Now I can drink and see all the traps in the path to the orphanage. Or at least what looks like an orphanage from the beach. I walk up the path uphill until I can see the beach below. I keep following the tracks previously used by the Slaver. Can I find the direction he went to?

(Very Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...

1 mile later I see a sign saying

Goals.

hum....I must be getting close. I see a big house ahead. I continue until I find myself in front of an old building, falling apart in many places. Is this the orphanage?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

...there is a

Detached artisan.

in front of the building. He seems to be admiring the architecture of the place. I come to him as his reaction is

NPC Action.

He immediately

Decrease / Enemies.

points to me asking if I am an enemy. I say I came here to look for the obscure orphanage. Does he know where the orphanage is located?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes. +Twist: Organization / Helps the hero

And he decides to take me there. We leave the old building and move away from the coast. After

3 = 3[d4]

miles we reach a forest. He mentions the orphanage is in a clearing in the middle of the forest. We walk together and I decide to drink my elixir to avoid possible traps. Do I see any traps on the path?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

...even though we avoid the trap, the enemy that set it on our path is around and it is not happy we avoided his trap. We meet a(n)

Giant.

This is all we needed. The giant comes towards us. The reaction of the artist is to

Oppose.

He throws himself at the giant with ferocity. Artists can be dangerous. Is there time for me to run around and escape the fight?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

I leave the two fighting and run through the path. Using my tracking skills I find myself quickly in the clearing where the Orphanage is. Standing right the in middle, the old building has a big sign with the words "Orphanage of Hell". I have found the orphanage but does the artist beat up the giant?

(Very Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

Of course not. Did he escape?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No. +Twist: Item / Ends the scene

No he didn't. The giant crushed him and got a(n)

Water clock.

the artist was carrying. Very happy the giant goes away and I can safely travel to the village and tell everybody where the Orphanage finally is!!
Hi Rombizio,

Thanks for sharing your story of the Paranoid gambler. If you want color formatting check out this post:

https://www.rpgsolo.com/forum/Thread-Sha...-adventure

Thanks!