When do you "go to the dice"?
Thumbs Up 
I've futzed with the RPG Solo interface for a little while now, and I noticed a trend in my previous experiments where I'd only call for a judgment whenever I didn't have a strong idea of how the plot ought to progress.  After a while I felt as though maybe I was only writing a story for myself, as opposed to playing a game, so in my latest I decided to allow the engine to tell me what happens, step by step.

When do you "go to the dice" to progress your game?
This is an interesting topic. RPG Solo can be used as what writers call a writer's prompt tool. That is, a device that helps one with ideas for stories. Now, this in itself can be fun and entertaining for both the author and the reader--but it's not a game.

However, RPG Solo can also be used as a Game Master. A GM gives you information. Where am I, what do I need to do, did I hit the bad guy, what's in the box? This is a game. It may not have a story-like structure and it might not be entertaining to a reader but the important question is this: is the player enjoying the game?

When I roll for damage from the cave troll's attack and I am killed, that could have been a very exciting and fun battle. Someone else might not think so but sometimes I'm just playing the game for myself--and that's ok.

So I go to the dice depending on my goal; am I writing a story and am stuck or need inspiration or am I playing a game and need a question answered? But I think you are saying the same thing in your post.
A little bit from column A a little bit from column B.

I do both. In the main “session” I post here it’s more of a story. If I’m posting something for others to read I want to make it more narrative and enjoyable. I do however leave major plot points up to random chance whenever I can or let the randomness shape the direction I’m heading in.

Then conversely, i’ll sometimes run a session that’s more dice or engine driven. These are not as fun to read and I usually don’t post them. They can be enjoyable for me though.
If by "go to the dice" you mean actually rolling actual dice values, then I'd do that if I'm using an underlying RPG ruleset to manage my dice mechanics for things like to hit, skill checks, damage, random encounters, etc.

If by "go to the dice" you mean any of the tools on the Play screen, well, all the time I guess. I use them to get inspiration, to progress a scene, or random elements (weather, combat, damage, any number of things). Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing more writing than playing though. 

"This is an interesting topic. RPG Solo can be used as what writers call a writer's prompt tool. That is, a device that helps one with ideas for stories. Now, this in itself can be fun and entertaining for both the author and the reader--but it's not a game."

Funny you should mention that Mark. My teenage daughter and I are actually working on a work of fiction together and we've used the Play tools last few weeks to come up with some of our character ideas. We pretty much randomly generate the chars by asking yes or no questions or we'll use C.Q and C.D. and MAG to get character details or details about the yes/no responses. It's a lot of fun. But you're right, it's not quite a game.

Definition for game is, "a form of play...especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck." I don't know how competitive RPG Solo is as a single player experience. I guess your characters in game or in story are competing against whatever threats or conflicts are out there. Anyway, by that definition, the stuff I'm doing with my Jodi thread, comprise a game I suppose. The rules are pretty loose, but they're in my head. Really, though, much of what I'm doing there is a desire for writing practice. But I enjoy it, and the random elements that happen surprise me enough to keep it enjoyable.
I guess I look at the word "competitive" in a different way when discussing this topic. I don't think I'm out to beat the oracle, but I do think it's something of a competition to come up with something which makes sense when confronted with occasionally abstruse prompts. There was one today in Planet Leviathan that I'm not entirely certain how to parse, but thankfully the story as it's progressed has given me some time to work it out.