Get Focus question
Shocked 
I'm not sure what "NPC positive and NPC negative" results mean when I press the "Get Focus" button and how I'm suppose to use them. I tried searching the documentation pages but I didn't find anything. Does this mean something positive happens to an NPC? Or that my character has a good interaction with an NPC? I'm genuinely struggling with putting the "Get Focus" button to good use because it's hard for me to interpret what the results mean.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much on this and should interpret this how I please, but I'd appreciate some examples on how other people use this function.
It can mean whatever you want it to mean. The results are to inspire direction. For example, if you get "NPC positive" you could play like this...

The stranger walked from across the bar, slowly but directly towards me. I was tense, prepared for a fight. But he thanked me for my work on Algar 6 with the alien uprising and bought me a drink. I should focus on this guy, I said to myself.
Hello Mocha,

While ultimately you can use or interpret any of the tools in any way that works for you, the "Get Focus" button is part of the Mythic solo engine and is typically used with the "Get Action" and "Get Subject" buttons. When you want to inject an event into your story you can hit the "Get Action", "Get Subject", and "Get Focus" buttons to give you inspiration. The first two describe the event and the last points you to consequences.

For example, I just generated an action of "Abuse" and a subject of "Randomness".  Now say I'm in a saloon and am tracking an NPC thief. I could interpret this result as meaning another patron in the bar has had too much to drink and starts getting loud and abusive. It escalates and he begins lashing out and attacking random people in the bar.  Now let's add focus. We'll use your two examples, NPC Positive and NPC Negative. This tells us the consequences will happen to the NPC. In the case of "NPC Positive," the fight could cause enough of a distraction for the thief to escape (a positive consequence for the NPC). "NPC Negative" could mean the thief gets attacked, punched, and knocked out, making it easier for my character to apprehend him (a negative consequence for the NPC).

One additional thing, if you have "random events" turned on for the oracle (the yes/no tool), whenever it generates an event it will give you the action and the subject. In that case, you only need to hit the "Get Focus" button, if that's information you want to generate. Personally, I only use the Focus button when the action and subject alone don't lead me naturally to a particular scenario or circumstance.

I hope this helps.
(05-07-2021, 01:34 PM)mark Wrote: The stranger walked from across the bar, 

Well, Mark, I guess we both have bars on our minds. It has been a kinda tough week.
(05-07-2021, 01:37 PM)Teviko604 Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 01:34 PM)mark Wrote: The stranger walked from across the bar, 

Well, Mark, I guess we both have bars on our minds. It has been a kinda tough week.

Heh, I know, right?
(05-07-2021, 01:34 PM)mark Wrote: It can mean whatever you want it to mean.  The results are to inspire direction.  For example, if you get "NPC positive" you could play like this...

The stranger walked from across the bar, slowly but directly towards me.  I was tense, prepared for a fight.  But he thanked me for my work on Algar 6 with the alien uprising and bought me a drink.  I should focus on this guy, I said to myself.

Alright, so my initial thoughts on what it's used for is correct. I suppose I just got caught up on the technicalities. I'm really good at complicating simple things like that. Thank you for the help!
(05-07-2021, 01:35 PM)Teviko604 Wrote: Hello Mocha,

While ultimately you can use or interpret any of the tools in any way that works for you, the "Get Focus" button is part of the Mythic solo engine and is typically used with the "Get Action" and "Get Subject" buttons. When you want to inject an event into your story you can hit the "Get Action", "Get Subject", and "Get Focus" buttons to give you inspiration. The first two describe the event and the last points you to consequences.

For example, I just generated an action of "Abuse" and a subject of "Randomness".  Now say I'm in a saloon and am tracking an NPC thief. I could interpret this result as meaning another patron in the bar has had too much to drink and starts getting loud and abusive. It escalates and he begins lashing out and attacking random people in the bar.  Now let's add focus. We'll use your two examples, NPC Positive and NPC Negative. This tells us the consequences will happen to the NPC. In the case of "NPC Positive," the fight could cause enough of a distraction for the thief to escape (a positive consequence for the NPC). "NPC Negative" could mean the thief gets attacked, punched, and knocked out, making it easier for my character to apprehend him (a negative consequence for the NPC).

One additional thing, if you have "random events" turned on for the oracle (the yes/no tool), whenever it generates an event it will give you the action and the subject. In that case, you only need to hit the "Get Focus" button, if that's information you want to generate. Personally, I only use the Focus button when the action and subject alone don't lead me naturally to a particular scenario or circumstance.

I hope this helps.

Ah, I see, using the Action and Subject buttons alongside the Focus buttons makes a lot more sense to me. Thank you for your help!