Rory's Story Cubes
Let me start by giving credit to the creator(s) of Rory's Story Cubes for coming up with such a neat idea that brings entertainment, adventure, and wonderment to adults and children around the world. Be sure to visit their awesome website at https://www.storycubes.com and buy 9 dice for $16.39 USD. And joy. I forgot to mention that they also bring joy.

(USD price based on the foreign currency exchange rate at the time of this post.)

Rory's Story Cubes seems to be a popular physical product and the manufacturer promotes it for many uses. Here is their blurb on Amazon:

Quote:There are infinite ways to play with Rory's Story Cubes. You can play solitaire or with others. Here are some suggested uses: Party game or ice-breaker, Literacy development, Speaking and listening skills, Creative inspiration, Mental workout, Problem solving. Rory's Story Cubes is a pocket-sized creative story generator, providing hours of imaginative play for all ages. With Rory's Story Cubes, anyone can become a great storyteller and there are no wrong answers. Simply roll the cubes and let the pictures spark your imagination.

Product Description

Use the images on these story cubes to make up your own once-upon-a-time. Who knows where your imagination may take you? Roll the cubes again and tell another story. Share them with other budding bards, each of you adding to the other’s story with a roll of the cube. Ages 8 and up.

I personally think that Mark's Adventure Glyphs is a far superior tool for many reasons such as, but not limited to:

- being free
- having more combinations
- more adult oriented
- more role-playing oriented
- etc.

I think Rory's Story Cube is charging too much for such a simple product that requires one to pay more in order to improve the limited features of its base product.

I can see, however, how it might be an option for children. But do adults use this?

So I am curious if anyone here owns a Rory's Story Cube product or has used one of their products.

If so can you give a review and indicate if you still use them.

Also, for everyone, please let me know if you would consider buying them or do you feel that Mark's Adventure Glyphs provides all the same features, provides more features, or is lacking in some way compared to Rory's Story Cubes.

Thanks!
I own both the Story Cubes and the expansion, though I haven't really gotten any actual use outside of showing it off. I think it was stated that the glyphs outmatch the cubes in terms of how many possible combinations there could be.
(01-04-2014, 11:48 AM)Mark Wrote: I think Rory's Story Cube is charging too much for such a simple product that requires one to pay more in order to improve the limited features of its base product.

I can see, however, how it might be an option for children. But do adults use this?

So I am curious if anyone here owns a Rory's Story Cube product or has used one of their products.

If so can you give a review and indicate if you still use them.

Also, for everyone, please let me know if you would consider buying them or do you feel that Mark's Adventure Glyphs provides all the same features, provides more features, or is lacking in some way compared to Rory's Story Cubes.

Thanks!

I don't own the cubes, but I've looked at them and thought they were too simplistic. To me, your adventure glyphs are superior in every way.

Have you considered a mobile app for phone/tablet for the glyphs? I think RPG-ers (both solo and regular) would pay (.99 - 4.99) to have such an app....
(01-21-2014, 02:23 PM)c0nklins Wrote: Have you considered a mobile app...

Point your mobile device here http://www.rpgsolo.com/mag/.

Just reload the page to get a new set of glyphs.

I've only tested it on an iPhone so your mileage may vary.
Works fine on Android tablet.
(01-26-2014, 06:24 AM)smw Wrote: Works fine on Android tablet.

Cool. Thanks smw. I appreciate the feedback.
Needed a way to use your Adventure Glyphs when traveling or offline . . .

Pasted 6 sets together in a simple 2x3 grid . . . For a hard copy version would print as digest-size and invert them to save ink