Classic Fantasy First Attempt: The Red Comet
Hey there! I've been using this site for the application for a while but only as a supplement to my normal games. Tonight I tried out a solo adventure and it turned out really well.

I'm really surprised at the directions it took me when I only had a loose idea of what might happen in my mind. As a note, I might not have used some of the tools the "correct" way since I haven't done this before. Also I didn't really format anything other than the way it was presented on the screen.

Anywho, on with the show.

The sky rumbled and the rain poured in the small village. A man stood beneath the awning of a closed tavern, head down. The bells of windchimes tolled, giving music to the air.

Why am I here?

NPC positive.

Praise / News.

Tonight's a special night. Once in a lifetime opportunity. The red comet that passed overhead nigh on seventy years ago is passing again tonight. Did anything happen last time the comet flew by?

(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...

Excitement / Environment.

No, but as it passed the world seemed more alive. Everyone felt so much clearer. The forests shook with vigor. Many people sat outside on their porches, some covering themselves from the rain, some not bothering. If rumors were true, the clouds wouldn't be able to cover the brilliant red fire. Is it about to appear?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Still a short while to go. Is anyone close to me?

No, but there are a few people close enough to talk to under an awning across the way. Is it more than one person?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Two?

(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes.

Daintily / Remarkable.

Excitedly / Damaged.

Obsessive-compulsive craftsman.

Nervous village idiot.

The one on the left is Avenya. The only elf in the town, and the only most people around here have ever seen. She works diligently making tools, art, or whatever the village needs. She sells her wares far cheaper than they're worth, so most of the town is rather grateful for her and tend to overlook her otherworldly nature.

On the right is Duncan. Village idiot. Everyone's got one. He took a hard hit to the head when he was a kid and has been addled ever since. Always happy though, always glad to see me. Sometimes I envy his happiness.

"I take it you were around the last time the red comet came around," I say to Avenya, raising my voice slightly to speak above the rain. (Has she seen the comet?)

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No.

(Why not?)

Starting / Tension.

She shakes her head. "I have not. Difficulties arose in my homeland at the time and I was far too embroiled in them to pay attention to the sky as I might have wished to," she says with a faint frown, looking up towards the sky with anticipation in her eyes. Meanwhile Duncan waves and smiles at me. He always seemed to be around Avenya. I've always respected her for showing the poor guy some kindness, he got cheated out of a decent life as it was.

(Is the comet soon to appear?)

(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

With a gasp, Duncan points upward. I look up, and I see it. In all it's blazing glory. The bright burning rock flies overhead, lighting up the night in an eerie red glow. (Do I feel the invigorating force that was attributed to its last passing?)

(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

The hair on the back of my neck stands on end and I feel a shiver down my spine. Beautiful. I can tell Avenya is similarly taken as I glance down at her for a moment. She murmurs something in her own language. As with all things though, it ends almost as soon as it began. Over the horizon it drifts, to be seen in another seventy years. Will I be alive to see it again? Not with the way things have been going. (What happened to me recently?)

Pursue / Liberty.

I was a slave for seventeen years before I escaped and started a new life in this out of the way village. Do I have reason to think my slavers are pursuing me?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

They're not coming for me, but they put a bounty out for my capture. In times like these, even honest folk will turn you in for a few silver. Life is hard everywhere.

After a few more words exchanged about the comet, most people head in to bed. That feeling though, stuck with me. I stayed for a while and stared at the sky. Wondering. After a few hours, I too went to bed. And dreamed of wondrous things.

END SCENE

PCs: The Man
NPCS: Avenya, Duncan, Townsfolk, Slavers
Threads: Start heading to the Verdant City.

Scene: Finished packing and heading off to leave the town. Is the scene altered/interrupted? (chaos factor 5)

5 = 5[d10]

Scene Altered

Cruelty / Elements.

The rain from last night hasn't stopped as I make to leave town. Normally I would delay due to weather, but it's important I go now. (Why is it important?)

Attainment / A plan.

A passing traveler mentioned to me that the new city to the north was ripe with good job opportunities and offering a higher standard of life than any other place in the region, but it's on a first come first serve basis. I have no choice but to endure the elements and make it there. (Am I friendly enough with anyone in the town that I'd want to say goodbye?)

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

They're all such great people it was hard not to grow attached to nearly all of them. The small village has always had a family feel to it. Something I never had before. I go 'round to a few houses and knock and exchange some farewells and promises to see one another in the future. What is the name of the town?

Meaningfully / Powerful.

I hug my coat tighter to myself and head northward, leaving the town of Salvation behind, but hopefully not forever.

END SCENE

PCs: The Man
NPCS: Avenya, Duncan, Townsfolk, Slavers
Threads: Get to the Verdant City
Scene: On the road again. (chaos factor 4)

4 = 4[d10]

Scene interrupted!

NPC Action.

Abuse / Pain.

Which NPC?

3 = 3[d4]

Are slavers attacking?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Just as I begin to start riding northward, I heard screaming and shouting coming from behind me. Immediately I pull the reigns and gallop back into town, are there more slavers than villagers?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but... +Event: Recruit / Wounds

Remote event.

There aren't more slavers than villagers, in fact, there's only ...

4 = 4[d6]

They're still much better armed than the villagers, and mounted. A villager runs up to me, shouting that the slavers are bearing the mark of the local lord. (Is the local lord generally considered good?)

(Somewhat Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Either these bandits are trying to fool... someone, or Lord Ledalion has lost his mind. In any case, I charge towards the slavers. Do I have a weapon?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

I do, but it's a club. You work with what you've got, I guess. Am I at least good at using it?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

What else am I good at?

Riding.

Hunting.

Sleight of hand.

Do I own a bow for hunting?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

Yes, and it's actually strung over my back for protection on the road. I pull it off and notch an arrow. Are the slavers capturing people rather than killing them?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

Yes, and they've already captured ..

3 = 3[d6]

Three people. Are they carting them away now?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

Are any villagers opposing them?

(Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Is it Avenya?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Is she hurt?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Is it severe?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

No, but it could become problematic if not dealt with. As I ride up I spot Avenya holding a dagger, a bow on the ground at her feet. She has a long gash courtesy of one of the slaver's swords across her arm. I immediately fire a shot at one of the slavers. Does it hit?

(Likely | 2[d10]) No.

The arrow zips passed his head and they turn to look at me. As they're distracted, Avenya jabs her dagger at the nearest man's chest, bounding upward to catch the man on his mount. Does she succeed?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

(20 = 20[d20]) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.

The dagger plunges straight into his heart and he dies instantly, slumping off his horse and onto the ground. Seeing their comrade fall, the other two slavers turn their attention to Avenya. One of them slashes down at her. Is he successful?

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No.

The second one jabs down at her. Does it contact?

(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

(18 = 18[d20]) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.

The sword slices deeply into her side, sending her to the ground unconscious and bleeding out. Shit, I let another arrow fly. Do I hit?

It doesn't hit the man, but it hits his horse. The animal screams and bucks. Does he fall?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

He's sent flinging into the mud. Is he wounded by it?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and... +Event: Ambush / Illusions

(Very Unlikely | 3[d10]) No.

"Stop right there," one of them says. He seems to be the leader, what does he look like?

Rudely / Strong.

This guy is huge, and not particularly worried about making a good first impression. "Get off your horse and drop your bow or we'll run you through." Not seeing any other options, I comply, and a few men shove me to the ground and bind my arms. Do they knock me out?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

They tie the manacles now binding my wrist to a horse and begin heading off. The man calls for his soldiers to rally and they begin taking the road south.

END SCENE
Hi Voof,

There is no "correct" way to use the tools. Whatever suits your style and you enjoy yourself. And from the looks of your story I'd say you used the tools perfectly.

Also, I really like the mood you set with your opening sentence. Good job and thanks for sharing.