Zombie Apocalypse Being An Energy Rider Is Suffering
Alright, so for this playthrough of Being An Energy Rider is suffering, I should talk about the setting.

The year is 20XX. A zombie outbreak had infected 50% of the population of America. If left unchecked, America will be a zombie apocalypse within 10 years. Many of the people still alive begin to show their true colors. Some vow to hold onto their humanity for as long as they can. Others see this as weeding out the weak. And yet there are others who find it a great opportunity to either play the hero or research on the new discovery of Zombiekind.

The most stunning change is that, after a scientific breakthrough, people are able to control the zombies. Unfortunately, this power lies in the hands of vicious gangs who use them to rob banks and rarely spread the infection throughout USA. This not only began to eat away at America's remaining time, but because the gangs have complete control over the zombies, it may spell the end of the world as we know it if they get the idea to spread the infection to other countries.

There is one hope though, aptly titled Hope's Peak. A safe haven from all the zombies and gang members, lined with the best scientists and leaders. They're the only ones who are keeping America from turning into a wasteland, and if they get the right help, will be able to cure and stop the zombie infection. However, the gangs are aware of this and seek to destroy Hope's Peak. A month now remains until America is either ridden with zombies or gangs controlling zombies. Desperate to save their country, Hope's Peak sent out an experimental weapon: The Sonic Arrow, able to drive a zombie's sensory nerves haywire and disable them. However, it can also work for humans as well.

The question is, who will receive the Sonic Arrow? We have four options.
  1. A scientist who has discovered a strand in the zombie DNA that maybe what Hope's Peak needs to cure the zombie virus.
  2. A citizen who sees the apocalypse as an adventure and desires to be a hero.
  3. A bodyguard to one of the most notorious gangs in America.
  4. An adult orphaned by the zombies and gangs who must now protect his little brother, his only family left, with his life.
So... who's the lucky person?

2 = 2[d4]

The hero-wannabe! Alright! So, here's how the game's gonna play. There are fifteen stops before Hope's Peak. Each one could provide danger or boons for our hero. At the end of each stop, I must track the following details:
  • Health (Starting from 20, judged by the damage rolls)
  • Infection Rate: (Starting at 0, if he gets bitten by a zombie, he gets 1 Infection point. If he gets 10, he turns into a zombie)
  • Food: (Initial Food will be 100 and then will get subtracted with either a D20, D10, or D6 Roll, depending on how he eats)
  • Weather: (What will be the weather for the next stop?)
  • Time Remaining (We have a month left before America becomes completely dominated by gangs and zombies, and each stop lasts a day unless stated otherwise.)
  • Fame (Exclusive to Cid, our main character. Throughout his travels, he will try to make himself the hero. This will be determined by a D6 roll for each deed he does. Positive deeds earn positive points and negative deeds earn negative points.)
We'll assume that the first stop's weather will be clear.
  • Health 20
  • Infection Rate: 0
  • Food: 100
  • Weather: Clear
  • Time Remaining: 31
  • Fame: 0
Next post will begin the game proper.
Alright. We'll begin this story at Cid's hometown. First, we'll ask if it's infested with zombies.

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No. +Twist: Item / Ends the scene

Is it infested with gangs?

(Unlikely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

Yes, there are gangs at Cid's hometown, but they don't have zombies. Good. The scene ends with Cid getting the Sonic Arrow. Now we begin a new scene. I'll roll a D10. If it's under five, that means the scene goes uninterrupted, but if I get five or over, that means the scene is interrupted.

1 = 1[d10]

Alright. We're safe. Cid receives the Sonic Arrow and reads a letter that tells him to head to Hope's Peak. I'm gonna consult the glyphs to see what signs he should look out for.

[GLYPHS: Fangs, A Mouse, An Eaten Leg, Scales, Hearts, A Surgeon, Vines, Telepathic Person, Spoon]

Alright. I'm gonna translate all that into the following: Hope's Peak is in a hospital located near a long abandoned Kentucky Fried Chicken. He will know it's the place since it's now infested with mutated rats that are psychic and have gone judgmental on humanity. The Sonic Arrow was made to subdue these rats and bring them to the hospital for proper testing. Why they sent it out is because they were getting attacked by the rats at the time. Cid must journey there and save the people of Hope's Peak in under a week before the rats completely infest the hospital.

... Dark. Does the gang catch wind of this?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

Good. After some googling (Internet still works, surprisingly enough), he finds where the KFC is located and prints out instructions on how to get there. Now he begins his journey.

How much hours did that take?

2 = 2[d6]

We're good. Does the gang notice Cid leaving?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

They let him go. Do they trust Cid?

His trust worthiness is wearing thin. He's best not to screw up... Wait, are they one of the few gangs that don't want zombies taking over America?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

They want to give someone to help... Is it the bodyguard?

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No.

Oh. It's a new NPC then.

Attentive soldier.

A rather attentive soldier. Alright. We head. What's the weather like on our travel?

Overcast.

Alright. Tune in next time.
  • Health 20
  • Partner's Health: 20
  • Infection Rate: 0
  • Food: 100
  • Weather: Overcast
  • Time Remaining: 31/7 (The second number is how many days are left before the rats take over)
  • Fame: 0
Alright. When we last left off Cid, he began his journey to Hope's Peak. Let's see what he gets for his first landmark.

Old abandoned parking garage.

Alright. Cid and the soldier approach the parking garage. Are there any zombies there?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No. +Twist: NPC / Appears

Suddenly, an NPC. Is it a new one?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.

Cids Soldier.

... Because he's already with me, I'll say he IS a new NPC.

Distracted detective.

It's a detective. What does he want?

Board-up the run-down mansion.

He's boarding up the mansion to ensure his protection, and he's getting a lot of wood for it. I'm gonna try and help him by looking for wood. Do I find any?

(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...

I do find that the garage has a broken wall that leads into the forest. I go back and tell the detective about it. Does he invite me to help get wood?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

Okay, so we go into the woods. Are there zombies?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.

Okay. We're good. Does anyone have an axe?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Okay. I'll roll 1d3. 1 being Cid, 2 being his soldier, and the other being the detective.

1 = 1[d3]

Okay, so I have an axe. I chop the wood. How much wood do I get?

1 = 1[d6]

Only one piece of wood. I hand it to the soldier. Does he know how to work an axe?

(Very Likely | 4[d10]) No.

No, he does not. He gives it to the detective. Does he know?

(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

He manages to cut better than us.

13 = 5[d12]+8[d12]

And gets 14 pieces of wood altogether. He invites us over to stay and rest, since there's a higher chance of zombie attacks on land. Do we take up the offer? Well, let's see the following:

Pro:
We avoid Zombies.

Con:
We allow time to be eaten away.

I'm gonna roll a 50/50.

Yes, but zombies will attack the mansion. When do they attack?

1 = 1[d6]

1 o'clock in the morning. Were our heroes sleeping while they attacked?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

So it takes them a while to get up. Do I get up?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

Neither do the others. The zombies attack the barricades. Do they damage it?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

By how much?

(16 = 10[d20]+6) Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

A lot. Do we get up?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

The zombies still attack. Do they damage the barricades?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes. +Twist: Item / Ends the scene

(20 = 10[d20]+10) Critical Damage: Requires immediate attention; clearly disabling if not immediately desctructive.

Okay, so what's the item and how does it end the scene?

Tools.

I'm not sure how tools will fix it, but okay. The scene ends. D10 to see if scene is altered.

7 = 7[d10]

Alright, it's over 10, so that means scene's interrupted.

NPC Action.

Cids Soldier.

Overindulge.

Prison.

So Cid finally wakes up and gets the tool to fix up the barricade. How much does he fix it by?

15 = 15[d20]

So now it's properly fixed and is even better than ever. Do the zombies attack?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

(20 = 20[d20]) Critical Damage: Requires immediate attention; clearly disabling if not immediately desctructive.

And start hacking away. Do the others wake up?

They're ready. Can Cid manage to snipe a Zombie?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Okay. Does the detective have a weapon?

He's ready to use it. A pistol. The zombies attack again.

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

They do double damage.

(15 = 10[d20]+5) Moderate Damage: Hampers functionality significantly; will require repair/mechanical attention.

(16 = 8[d20]+8) Severe Damage: Incapacitating and may become Critical if not addressed.

Do they rip a hole large enough for Cid to fire through?

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No.

Okay. Cid will get outside to lure out the zombies. He fires his Sonic Arrow at them. Does it hit?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

It doesn't damage the Zombies as much.

(9 = 11[d20]+-2) Minor Damage: Largely superficial; degrades performance, but not disabling.

Do they turn to me or attack the barricade (yes for the former, no for the latter)?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

A few do manage to go for me. How many?

10 = 10[d20]

Okay, so by a few, they mean half the zombie hoard. Okay. So the zombies attack the barricade. Do they damage?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No. +Twist: Physical event / Hinders the hero

No. But one of the zombies bites Cid.

(5 = 15[d20]+-10) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

Ouch. Cid fires. Does he hit the zombie point blank?

(Sure Thing | 5[d10]) No, but...

It does cause the zombies' senses to go haywire. How many of them are disabled?

8 = 8[d10]

Alright, good. Can the detective manage to shoot one of the zombies?

He rapid fires at the zombies.

(22 = 10[d20]+12) Killed.

Now it's only Cid and the two zombies. I attack. Do I hit?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

Not likely. They are still only damaged.

(10 = 12[d20]+-2) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.

One still remains. Soldier's turn, how much does he heal?

18 = 18[d20]

All of it, good. Detective fires. Does he hit?

He's out of bullets. Zombie's turn. Does he hit me?

He doesn't hurt me as much.

(-7 = 8[d20]+-15) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

He's chipping away though. I have to finish him. I fire one last shot at the zombie. Do I hit?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.

Damn. Zombie's turn.

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

(-6 = 4[d20]+-10) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.

My turn.

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Alright. Do I kill him?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Good. Now I gotta check. How many times have I gotten bit?

2 = 2[d3]

Two times. Not good... The detective thanks us for saving him.

6 = 6[d6]

We earn six fame for that. Does the detective join our party?

(Likely | 3[d10]) No.

He's gonna stick to his guns and hold off, but he'll give word if something happens. So off we go. Cid and the Soldier will eat. How much have they eaten?

3 = 3[d10]

3 = 3[d10]

Not that much. Okay, I can live with that. How long did the fighting take place?

4 = 4[d6]

Four hours? Okay. So it's 5 o'clock now. Good. How long will the next place take us to walk to?

4 = 4[d6]

Four hours. By the time we get there, we will be at 11:00 AM. Do we encounter zombies in that time?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No. +Twist: NPC / Appears

But an NPC does appear. New one?

It's a member of the gang Cid was apart of. What does he want?

Murder the therapist at the corpse-choked elementary school.

He wants to murder someone at this elementary school. Is it at our location?

(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...

It's at the same distance. Okay, so I say we can accept. How long will going to the school take?

3 = 3[d3]

Three hours. 2:00 PM. Alright. What's the weather like?

Dust.

A lot of dust. Well, tune in next time where we take on this therapist.
  • Health 17
  • Partner's Health: 20
  • Infection Rate: 2
  • Food: 94
  • Weather: Dust
  • Time Remaining: 30/6 (The second number is how many days are left before the rats take over)
  • Fame: 6
Alright, so we enter the corpse-ridden school building. Anything awaiting us?
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
Zombies?
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
Alright. I get my Sonic Arrow and shoot.
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
(5 = 5[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.
How many zombies are there?
5 = 5[d6]
Soldier fires with his machine gun.
The gun jams. The gang member gets his pistol out and fires.
He does manage to distract the zombies. Enough for us to run off?
Just enough for us to do another round of attacks. Me first, then soldier, then gang.
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
(8 = 8[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
(20 = 18[d20]+2) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.
Zombies turn. I'll roll to see who they want to bite, then roll the hit. 1 me, 2 soldier, 3 gang.
3 = 3[d3]
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
(20 = 20[d20]) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.
2 = 2[d3]
He bites in for double damage.
(9 = 9[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
(4 = 4[d20]) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.
1 = 1[d3]
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No.
3 = 3[d3]
He doesn't bite, just claws.
(22 = 20[d20]+2) Killed.
Which actually does massive damage, shit.
2 = 2[d3]
Claws.
(7 = 7[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
My turn. I use my Sonic Arrow to cut through some of the Zombies. Likely chance because I'm near them.
(Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
I miss and cause one of the Zombies to bite me.
(12 = 9[d20]+3) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.
Does the Gang member continue shooting?
He isn't going out without a fight. He brings out a grenade and makes it explode. Damage for everyone.
(14 = 5[d20]+9) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.
(12 = 7[d20]+5) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.
(6 = 3[d20]+3) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.
(18 = 15[d20]+3) Severe Injury: Incapacitating and may become Critical if untreated.
(10 = 7[d20]+3) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
(23 = 5[d20]+18) Killed.
(10 = 2[d20]+8) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
(19 = 10[d20]+9) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.
Well shit. Now I gotta heal. Soldier responds with firing.
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.
(14 = 5[d20]+9) Moderate Injury: Hampers action significantly; will require first aid/medical attention.
Zombie tiem
2 = 2[d2]
Double bite.
(19 = 12[d20]+7) Critical Injury: Requires immediate attention; clearly life-threatening if not immediately deadly.
(23 = 16[d20]+7) Killed.
Shit. SHIT!
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No.
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.
(24 = 13[d20]+11) Killed.
Well. Game over. Good game everyone! Hope's Peak is overrun by mutant rats!
Wow! Intense. Those guys should have practiced with their weapons more or something. Or maybe these were special forces zombies Undecided
(06-09-2014, 10:54 PM)Mark Wrote: Wow! Intense. Those guys should have practiced with their weapons more or something. Or maybe these were special forces zombies Undecided

Perhaps they were. Big Grin