Classic Fantasy Lost to the Fog
Hello, all. About a year ago, I'd posted a transcript of an adventure I played with Basic Fantasy RPG, known as "My Life As a Plagued Lioness". As I'm having trouble getting to play tabletop RPGs these days, I've decided I want to take on a new challenge for myself. I'mma try playing through a solitaire RPG campaign, rather than a single session. I also intend to post the transcripts of each adventure on a blog, as well as use this site's system to do some improv storytelling during the adventure as well.

My goal is to play through a randomized quest, using a flexible outline for what I want to do with it. For conveniences' sake, I shall be using Microlite20's rule set, as I want something familiar (having played D&D as my first "official" tabletop RPG) but not overly rigid and numbers-heavy. I shall be controlling three characters, and while I'm really liking the rules for Microlite20 as-is, I'm going to lay down some house rules.

Custom Races - I shall reflavor the halfling into a "kivaht", a fox folk, and the elf into a "jalquin", a mouse folk.
Custom Class - My caster character will have a spell list that combines Cleric and Druid spells.
Separate "MP" System - Instead of using HP for spell-casting, my caster will instead use a separate track of energy based of the MP systems of various JRPGs. It will be based off of MIND stat + 4 per level.
Slight Rule Tweaks - My party will act first in most cases, before the enemy party; fights will be my party and then the enemy in that order. Further, the character level will reach a hard cap of 6th. Lastly, the party will have 200 gold that they must pool to gain their starting gear.

The party will adventure through six randomly-generated dungeon floors, with a randomized treasure, enemy and trap set-ups. So... I'll begin the character creation with my next post, along with my campaign intro.
Cool.  Looking forward to it.  The Microlite20 system look like a good system.  http://microlite20.net/

Thanks!
You are a young adult, ranging from 14 to 17, hailing from a small village in the midst of a forest, around the edges of a lake. The forest village is the world that you've known for most of your life -- there are frontier towns that the adults have interacted and traded with, and maybe you'd been there once or twice in your life. Otherwise, you know next to nothing of the outside world.

As time's gone on this year, something is going amiss, and no one seems to know what. Fog has been appearing much more than usual, and every time the fog appears, animals wind up disappearing or even dead. It's mid-spring now, and in the last month people from your small village who'd ventured out into the fog have also been disappearing. Eerie enough, no one has reappeared who's vanished -- while no corpses have turned up, no signs of the people have been found either.

By now, you've heard hushed rumors of the forest. As long back as anyone's remembered, there had been old ruins deep in the woods. A few of the elders know its location, but it's been a place of taboo for years. Those hunting around the ruins had reported... strange things happening, weeks before the taboo was passed. Unusual sights and noises around the decrepit location were witnessed, and days before the vote to make the area off-limits, some say mutilated animal remains had been found, slaughted unlike the fashion of any animal or sane person.

You've been training to handle yourself in armed combat on-and-off since age thirteen, just as all of your village had. Some of the smarter kids had been whisked away on retreats to the forest, and come back with strange secrets and enhanced potential for otherworldly powers. You, like others, had asked why. The grown-ups don't offer a concise answer. The elders refuse to explain. It's not like your village has been attacked often, and even then, the militia had fought off bandits and highwaymen who sought to overpower your small community.

Only a week ago, you and two of your childhood friends had been called to speak with the elders. You've been given an assignment: explore the ruins, trying to find out more about what's been happening to your village. From the vagueness that they've tried to pass as the facts, you can assess that whatever is causing this mysterious fog, as well as the disappearances, is within the catacombs of the ruins.

The ruins, however, are more than what they seem. The elders believe they are a supernatural hot spot, a place caught somewhere between the world of the living and other planes of existence. Was your village's martial and magical training supposed to be a preparation for an event like what's been happening? You aren't sure, but currently you're en route with any others chosen to the ruins. And as if the spirits are mocking your journey, the very day you've been told to set out on has been foggy since the early morning...

(Rolling for character stat generation...)

"You are Dana Gwynn, a fox-folk of the Kivaht race. Your martial training has been an assessment of your raw finesse and skill. You are a fine archer and sharpshooter, and are skilled with using lightweight weapons in both hands. As such, you are considered to be a Ranger".

15 = 6[d6]+2[d6]+5[d6]+2[d6]

15 = 3[d6]+5[d6]+3[d6]+4[d6]

16 = 4[d6]+4[d6]+4[d6]+4[d6]

(Excluding the lowest roll from each set, Dana starts with a 13 and two 12's as her stats). She'll have a 13 in DEX, and her 12's will go into STR and MIND. As her racial traits are based off of the halfling, she'll also gain a +2 to DEX.

Thus, her stats are: 12 STR (+1), 15 DEX (+2), and 12 MIND (+1). She also has 16 HP, and a +3 to her Survival skill.

Ack, make that 18 HP, not 16...

As a Ranger, she can use Light or Medium armor. She also has a +1 to Attack and Damage with ranged attacks, and only gains a -1/-1 for two-weapon attacks.)

"Your first childhood friend is Daniel Hawk, a human lad. His martial training was much more straight-forward, relying on might and skill in combat in equal levels. Thus, he is a Fighter".

12 = 2[d6]+6[d6]+2[d6]+2[d6]

18 = 4[d6]+3[d6]+5[d6]+6[d6]

13 = 2[d6]+1[d6]+4[d6]+6[d6]

(As a human, Daniel gets a +1 to all skill rolls. STR will be his best stat, then DEX, and MIND as his worst. Thus, he'll have a 15 STR (+2), 12 DEX (+1), and 10 MIND (0)...

Fighters start with a +3 to Physical, and have a +1 to all attack and damage rolls. This increases by +1 every 5 levels...

He also has 21 HP.)

"Your remaining childhood friend is Declan Smith, a member of the mouse-like Jalquin race. While not exceptionally skilled in combat, he is a wise individual and skillful in magic. Thus, his class is a Shaman, a combination of the traits of a Cleric and Druid".

17 = 6[d6]+5[d6]+5[d6]+1[d6]

12 = 2[d6]+1[d6]+4[d6]+5[d6]

12 = 3[d6]+1[d6]+6[d6]+2[d6]

(As a race based off the elf, Declan would gain a +2 to MIND. His stats will be a STR and DEX of 11, but a whopping 17 in MIND. He'll also have 17 HP. As a custom-made class, Declan can only use a Druid's armor types, and has a +2 to Knowledge and Survival. He has no class skills outside of his spells, but can use spells from both the Cleric and Druid spell lists.)

~~~~~~~

"This blasted fog's really starting to get to me", groaned Daniel as the trio walked to the nearby trader's caravan.

"You're preaching to the choir, lad", remarked Dana in her Gaelic accent. "I'm used to it by now, though I wish the elders would've given us more coin to buy our goods..."

"It's not a big deal", said Declan, calm and collected as always. "Two hundred gold pieces should be enough to purchase what we'll need for our quest".

Daniel sighed. "Just wish we knew more about this suicide mission. All we know is that there are strange creatures in the forest ruins, and that it doesn't work how our world would. That ain't a lot to go off of..."

Dana shrugged. "Aye. Still, we're top-class at what we do. I'm sure we'll be alright, as long as we stick and work together".

Declan glanced ahead. "Ah. Looks like the trader's got some slow business today". Indeed, no one was at the stage coach where the frontier town's trader and guards were set up, and the bored look on the merchant's face indicated that business wasn't booming that day...

~~~~~~~

As the three youths made their way to the stage coach, the mustachioed merchant perked up. This human in particular always seemed the scummy type, but his wares were good as always. "Ahh, children!" he announced. "Welcome to Grimm's Caravan! Are you kids here to buy some of my quality wares?"

"Cut the crap, pal", groaned Daniel. "We've all been buying from you for years now..." It was clear Danny was on-edge today, more so than usual.

Grimm rolled his eyes, hopping from the front seat of the coach and strutting over to Declan. "Alright then", he said, never dropping his charismatic tone. "Maybe tall, dark-haired and irate doesn't want to do the shopping, but you there... Dennis, was it?"

"Em", the mouse-boy said, "It's Declan, actually..."

"Declan!" Grimm patted the shaman on the shoulder. "Decky, my boy, you've always had a fine eye for a good deal, no?"

Dana sighed. "Mister Grimm, let me level with you. We're in need of supplies for a dangerous adventure, and you need business. Perhaps we can come to some sort of compromise...?"

"But of course, my fine young vixen!" Grimm smiled, opening the back doors to his coach, revealing a display of various wares. "Take your pick, children".

(Hmmm. Can I try to talk Grimm down on the default gear prices?)

(8[d10]) Yes.

(Sweet.)

"Come, Grimmy boy", said Dana with a smirk as she glanced at the price tags on some of the goods. "It's life and death for us. Unless you'd like to lose a pretty face like mine, maybe we can compromise on a lowered price? Just this once, hmm?"

Grimm blinked, his charming countenance fizzling for just a moment. "Well, I've gotta put bread on the table, pay my dues to the union--"

Dana slipped forward to Grimm, chuckling softly. "And... I'm sure the ruins we're exploring will have all sorts of artifacts inside. Things we can pawn, and what you can resell for oodles of gold~"

Grimm grinned widely at the prospect. "But of course! Tell ya what, you make sure to keep a supply of these... these 'artifacts', and I'll give you a discount this time. Heck, maybe even on a later date, too!"

Daniel smiled. "That's what I'm talking about. Now, let's do business..."

(Now, for the discount. Is it 50% off?)

(6[d10]) Yes, but...

(...just the weapons?)

(10[d10]) Yes, and...

(...also, a free healing potion?)

(3[d10]) No.

(Never mind... let's buy some killing tools, shall we?)

*Dana's gear = 2 short swords (10 gp), a revolver (counts as a short bow, 15 gp), 18 rounds of revolver ammo (18 gp, with 1 gp per round), and a suit of scale armor (50 gp).

*Daniel's gear = A saber (counts as a long sword, 8 gp), and boiled leather armor (counts as studded leather, 25 gp).

*Declan's gear = A quarter staff (1 gp), and hide armor (15 gp).

*Team's gear = A bulls' eye lantern (15 gp), flint and steel (1 gp), three bedrolls (9 sp, rounded up to 1 gp), 4 pints of oil (4 sp), 3 days' worth of firewood (1 sp), and 3 days' rations for the trio (10 total rations, 5 gp). Also, one Potion of Cure Light Wounds (25 gp).

Total spent = 190 gp and 4 sp. Remaining = 9 gp and 6 gp.

~~~~~~~

(So, this is but the introduction to the game. I've still got random generation decks, matrices, whatever to make. But expect me to start for real this Friday, two days from now...)
Hello, folks. Seems I'm feeling like starting up the game earlier than I'd expected. Boring night tonight. Either way, I have the randomly generated stuff ready, sooo... let's play!

~~~~~~~

The vixen, the lad and the mouse eventually made their way through the woods after purchasing adventuring supplies from the frontier merchant. After following a simple map through the woods, given to them by the elders of their village, they stumbled their way through the dense, foggy forest. As they came closer and closer to their desired destination, the fog seemed to almost choke them, enveloping their surroundings until, at last, they happened upon a ravine in the midst of the forest. Going down the steep edges was a staircase of stone, and at the bottom laid what appeared to be some ancient temple.

"This has to be the place", remarked Declan. "What else could it be? And, I'm getting an unpleasant feeling about it, too... definitely magical..."
Dana nodded. "In that case, let's head on down, shall we? Daniel, you lead the way".
Daniel also nodded, drawing his saber from the scabbard. "Before we advance, if I'm to lead, maybe we should trade armor? Both were unisex, right? Just have to do some adjustments to the fitting, and they'll be fine".
Dana shrugged. "That'd make more sense. Drake scales are tougher than boiled leather, anyway..."

After a quick swapping and modifying of armor, Daniel put on the scale-coated corselet over his white cotton shirt, and Dana slipped the leather cuirass on over her jade-colored short dress with long sleeves. Bracing themselves, they enter the ruins. What do they see?

Below average flint and steel.

One of a kind long sword.

The flint and steel were of no consequence, but the long sword, styled like one a knight of old would use, seemed familiar to the kids.

Picking it up tenderly, Declan remarked, "...why, isn't this the sword that mister O'Hara carried?" O'Hara, human and a member of the militia, had been one of the first to go missing since a month's time.
"This isn't good..." groaned Daniel. "I don't see any sort of remains anywhere. Maybe we can find him down there".
Dana grimaced. "Yes, but alive or dead...?" The vixen drew her long, stylized fighting knives from the leather frogs on her belt. Shifting the goggles across her forehead, a common thing she did to try to calm down, she prepared herself for the worst.

~~~~~~~

The three put the sword back into its scabbard, stowing the weapon in Dana's backpack. Finding an open passage downwards, the three pour light the wick of their lantern and descend down a flight of stairs into the ruins below. The stairwell spirals downward, the light from the outside world growing dimmer and dimmer as they enter. And yet, somehow, the dungeon was dank but illuminated. It wasn't nearly enough light to make out much ahead without the lantern, even for Dana and Declan's bestial eyes, but it was something.

(The party enters the first room. How many separate paths are there?

1 = 1[d4]

Bracing themselves, the three approach the old wooden door as Daniel takes point. Opening it, the three encounter...

4 = 4[d12]

...nothing. Shining the light about, there is indeed nothing but a hallway ahead, though the door frame past it is obscured in darkness beyond. Does the hall branch off into anything else?

(6[d10]) Yes, but...

The trio tread cautiously to a door on the side of the hallway. Carefully pulling at the handle, Dana finds that it appears to be locked...

"Well, this sucks", muttered Daniel. "Which way should we go? I still can't see anything past this hallway".
"Should I try to pick the lock?" asked Dana. "I know a thing or two about using a paperclip to unlock doors..."
"I highly doubt that would work on an ancient lock", replied Declan.
"Nonsense! Those things are primitive, I'm sure. Nothing like what we've got", the vixen retorts, dispensing a paperclip from the pocket of her short pants. Unbending the paperclip and pressing her vulpine ear upon the wood door, she tries to pick the lock. Does she succeed?

(6[d10]) Yes.

"Eureka!" she says as she hears a click on the other end. "See? Told you".
"Marvelous", replied Declan. "Who'd have thought?"
"Hmm... but where to go?" asked Daniel. "Maybe we should flip for it". He pulled a silver piece from his pocket, and flips it. "Heads, we go in here. Tails, we come back later and try the end of the hall".
Declan blinked. "But what if--"
"Never tell me the odds", exclaimed Dan as he flipped the coin. A one will be Heads, a two will be Tails.

1 = 1[d2]

"Well", remarked Daniel. "Heads it is".
"Ahem", remarked Declan. "It would have been smarter to enter here in the first place. If we clear the room, we won't run the risk of an ambush if we need to escape down this hall..."
Dana shrugged. "Well, I'm opening the door now. Brace yourselves, boys..."

What's in this room?

11 = 11[d12]

The moment Dana opens the room, a cold chill seems to escape from behind it. She shudders. A grim-looking portal stood in the room beyond, a fiendish motif to the door frame, illuminated by a pair of green-flamed torches.

"That... that looks diabolical", squeaked Declan. "My bad feeling's just gotten worse. Something's beyond there, I know it".
"You think?" asked Daniel sarcastically. "We shouldn't enter that door yet. I feel it, just like you, Declan. Something's very wrong with this room..."
Dana slowly closed the door. "I'd feel a lot more safer if we looted some treasure, then tried to get better supplies, or something..."

Leaving the demonic door as it was in its unsettling room, the three headed toward the end of the hall. The ground was damp, made of carved stone, with moss growing here and there. What lies beyond the hallway?

7 = 7[d12]

"Do you guys hear that?" whispered Dana. "I think something's ahead..."
"I hope you're just kidding", replied Daniel in his normal tone. "I can't see a dang--"
"Daniel!" Declan warned in a hushed tone. "She's not joking! Something's approaching right this instant...!"

2 = 2[d8]

Sniffing and the air and leering at the three, a small group of disfigured-looking, pale-skinned hominids crept forth, holding battered and nicked cutlery. Their teeth were a horrible yellow color, and weren't much larger than young children.

"Goblins!" exclaimed Declan, readying his staff.

(Battle start!)

~~~~~~~

Daniel charged forth with a cry, raising his saber to the side and preparing to slice into one of them.

8 = 4[d20]+4

But the goblin dodges his wild sweep! Dana closes in to cover Daniel's six...

8 = 6[d20]+2

...also missing with a single fighting knife attack. Seeing his friends botch their assaults, Declan whispered a quick prayer for a Blessing (14 out of 17 MP left). Feeling the guidance of the spirits, the trio become braver in battle. They gain a +1 to Attack and vs. Fear for 10 rounds.

How many goblins are there, first of all?

3 = 2[d3]+1

The first goblin goes after someone. 1 = Dana, 2 = Daniel, 3 = Declan.

3 = 3[d3]

Trying to break from the others, it charges toward the mouse-boy!

8 = 6[d20]+2

And misses, thankfully. Second and third target and attack!

1 = 1[d3]

Dana is attacked!

4 = 2[d20]+2

And missed!

3 = 3[d3]

The third goes to assist his ally, throwing a javelin at Declan!

5 = 2[d20]+3

And throws poorly, Dana swinging at the short spear and knocking it out of the air!
(Rounds for Blessing: 1/10)

Dana charges after the two goblins on Declan, attacking both of them once!

14 = 13[d20]+1

19 = 18[d20]+1

First misses, but the second gets stabbed!

4 = 2[d6]+2

The goblin screeches in agony from the blow, blood gushing profusely from its body! (HP: 1/5)

Daniel tries to slice open the remaining goblin by him...

14 = 10[d20]+4

And narrowly misses. Declan attacks the wounded goblin...

5 = 4[d20]+1

And it dances out of the way.

The wounded goblin tries to scamper away, but does it escape?

(8[d10]) Yes.

The goblin breaks from the animal-like duo, and slips past Daniel somehow. Speaking of which, the remaining goblin by Danny duels with him.

9 = 7[d20]+2

And has his cook's knife parried effortlessly.

The remaining goblin goes after Declan, dead-set on killing the magician!

3 = 1[d20]+2

Declan is completely missed, and due to the botched attempt, evokes an opportunity attack!

19 = 18[d20]+1

Hit! Declan's sharp strike with the staff smacks into the goblin's ribs, dealing...

4 = 4[d6]

...a vicious blow! Ribs crack and break, this goblin barely hanging on to life as well.

(Blessing rounds: 2/10)

Declan tries to finish the job, an adrenaline rush calling forth blood lust in the docile rodent.

6 = 5[d20]+1

...but he instead backs off, letting Dana do her work.

3 = 2[d20]+1

3 = 2[d20]+1

Somehow, the goblin dodges away with remarkable speed, the vixen clearly underestimating the critter. Can Daniel slay his adversary?

22 = 18[d20]+4

Possibly! He cuts into the goblin...

10 = 7[d8]+3

...taking its head clean off with the saber!

The remaining goblin tries to flee as well! Can it make it?

(7[d10]) Yes, but...

...not before Dana throws a knife to try and finish the job!

10 = 8[d20]+2

The blade hits the cold floor, and the goblin flees for its life. (Victory!)

~~~~~~~

"That... that was frightening", gasped Declan, gripping his staff in both hands to steady himself.
"At least none of us were injured", replied Dana. "You going to be okay?"
"Positive", Declan replied. "Just wasn't expecting that malevolent fae to slip by and attack me..."
"Not my fault!" Daniel called back as he approached. "Did they at least have any goods on them?"

(4[d10]) No.

"Damn", replied Dan. "Anyway... shall we continue?" The damaged steak knife wasn't about to fetch any sort of price, that much was sure.

How many more paths are there past the hallway?

1 = 1[d3]

"Another corridor?" groaned Daniel.
"Let's be careful this time", Dana said. "Voices down".

2 = 2[d12]

Walking ahead, the three find something on the floor...

Cheap mead.

"...a bottle of booze?" asked Dana. "...really?"
"This is downright strange", groaned Declan. "For better or worse, seems we aren't the only ones who've been here..."

"There's got to be something more", said Daniel. "Anything..." (Searching room for hidden items...)

3 = 3[d20]

"...rats", said Dan after a while. "Nothing. Let's keep moving before we run into those goblins again, or something else..."

How many more passageways are there?

2 = 2[d3]

"A fork in the path", said Dana. "Left or right?" (1 = Left, 2 = Right)

2 = 2[d2]

"I say right", replied Daniel.
"Right it is, then", replied Dana. "So, lead on, like you said you would".
"Of course", said Daniel. "Easy..."

10 = 10[d12]

8 = 8[d8]

Daniel stops dead in his tracks. "Something smells awful here", he mumbles.
Dana nods. "I agree. There's some kind of nasty puddle of something up ahead..."
Declan shivers. "D-did that puddle just move...?!"

Indeed, it did, for it was no puddle, but a amorphous monster known as a "creeping ooze". It condenses itself into a blob-like shape, slowly oozing its way forth. Is it alone, though?

(3[d10]) No.

How many more oozes are there?

4 = 3[d3]+1

A loud splat sounds from behind the trio. Declan, at the back, whirls around. Four more oozes, bubbling and frothing with a foul-smelling fluid, also approach! Can the team react in time to get the jump on the sickly slimes?

(5[d10]) No, but...

...only a certain number of them attack. How many?

4 = 3[d3]+1

(Dangit, RNG...) Declan is attacked by how many oozes again?

4 = 4[d4]

All four lurch forth, lashing out their bodies like tentacles!

9 = 9[d20]

2 = 2[d20]

9 = 9[d20]

18 = 18[d20]

All but one miss him; the remaining one manages to strike him! He cries out in pain as the corrosive secretions burn his slacks and flesh underneath!

1 = 1[d4]

Luckily, the acid burns aren't too severe, but how long does it continue to burn?

2 = 1[d4]+1

Two rounds...

Battle starts for the heroes!

Declan desperately tries to attack the ooze that slimed him!

16 = 15[d20]+1

Hit!

2 = 2[d6]

The slime seems unfazed, and the acids begin to corrode the end of his staff. Dana cries out, "I'll take the front! Danny, help Dec!"

8 = 7[d20]+1

7 = 6[d20]+1

Dana is unable to hit the slime up ahead. Daniel closes in to try and finish the slime Declan hit.

20 = 16[d20]+4

6 = 3[d8]+3

With a swift cut, the ooze splatters into a bubbling puddle on the ground, its vile smelling secretions seeming to denature in seconds. As the odor fades, the scent of melting flesh ensues, and Declan howls in pain.

2 = 1[d2]+1

Declan's leg wound worsens. (HP: 14/17)

Do the slimes pile onto Daniel?

(10[d10]) Yes, and...

One sneaks by to try and hit Declan, too!

(Hit vs. Dec)

4 = 4[d20]

Luckily, Declan avoids the hit. The remaining pair of oozes attack Dan!

20 = 20[d20]

6 = 6[d20]

Critical hit! One of the slimes leaps upon him, wrapping around his legs. He cries out as his leather boots' cuffs and slacks dissolve in mere moments, burning flesh underneath!

3 = 3[d20]

4 = 4[d4]

(Ack, forgot that criticals in Microlite20 do max damage, not extra. Scratch that...) How long do the acids continue to burn Daniel?

2 = 1[d4]+1

(Two rounds, with 1 left for Dec) Dana is attacked! (Daniel's HP: 17/21)

19 = 19[d20]

Even Dana gets hit!

4 = 4[d4]

Dana cries out from the pain of her legs' being dissolved. How long does the acid remain?

2 = 1[d4]+1

(two rounds on Dan and Dana, one on Declan)

Dana tries to attack!

15 = 14[d20]+1

2 = 1[d20]+1

And hits the slime, but also risks getting hit herself!

17 = 17[d20]

What is with these smiles? Dana gets hit again before she counters!

3 = 3[d4]

Dana's groans of pain come back as a sharp shriek. (HP: 11/18) She attacks!

8 = 6[d6]+2

And slews the slime!

(Enemies remaining: two by Daniel and Declan) Daniel tries to shake the slime off his legs, and succeeding swats at it...

21 = 17[d20]+4

Hit!

4 = 1[d8]+3

But kind of a whiff. (Ooze's HP: 4/8)

Declan tries to finish it off...

14 = 13[d20]+1

And hits, barely.

4 = 4[d6]

But kills it~

The remaining ooze tries to feed upon the still-downed Daniel, while all three heroes continue to feel the burn... (Dana, then Daniel, then Declan damage)

2 = 2[d3]

2 = 2[d3]

1 = 1[d3]

Dana shivers in pain, falling onto her hurt legs. "I'm not doing so well, guys..."

Daniel is attacked!

8 = 8[d20]

And he gets up, avoiding a slow dive toward him.

Declan rushes to Dana's aid, casting Cure Light Wounds! (MP: 11/17)

(...okay, there IS no Cure Light Wounds. Sue me. He instead uses the team's potion...)

6 = 3[d8]+3

Administering the fluid to Dana's bleeding wounds, it hits the bloodstream immediately, causing the flesh and fur to regenerate gradually. (Dana's HP: 15/18)

Daniel fights with the last creeping ooze...

8 = 4[d20]+4

And misses. But Dana, her legs healing swift, pads over to Daniel's aid.

18 = 17[d20]+1

18 = 17[d20]+1

5 = 3[d6]+2

8 = 6[d6]+2

And splatters the slime! (Victory!)

2 = 2[d3]

(Dana takes one last dose of acid damage, though, lowering her to 13 HP out of 18)

~~~~~~~

"That was downright harrowing", she groans, feeling the last of the acid flush out of her wounds as they begin to supernaturally heal.
"I'll say", gasped Declan. "Let's find a good spot to rest for now..."
"I'll keep watch, then", added Daniel.

(And so, our heroes meet their first problems in the ruins. Do they make it through their rest period well?)

(1[d10]) No, and...

(...something else seems to be creeping upon them... but, until next time, we won't know for sure what's happening...)
Greetings, folks. It's come to my attention that I'm lacking a real arcane damage-dealer. As such, tonight I will be introducing another party member to the team. Without further ado, let's roll her up!

"The mysterious newcomer is named Holly of Whitesky, a member of the Syrisen cat-people. She is skilled with the elemental arts, and as such qualifies as a Magus..."

18 = 2[d6]+6[d6]+5[d6]+5[d6]

12 = 4[d6]+1[d6]+4[d6]+3[d6]

18 = 3[d6]+5[d6]+4[d6]+6[d6]

(As I'd like her to possess some amount of finesse, I'm throwing the second-best stat into DEX. I've got a 16, 15 and 11; the scores are STR 11, DEX 15 and MIND 16. As mages are boring, all she gets as a class thing are her spells, as useful as they are. She'll have 17 HP and 20 MP. Her starting gold is 75, but I'mma lower that to 50...)

(On second thought, going to make her a mage/rogue multiclass, and call it a Trickster. As such, she also gains a Sneak Attack as per a rogue, and can use light armor. However, she'll also start with only her MIND score for MP, as opposed to getting the +4 from 1st level)

(On third thought, going to make her starting MP equal to half MIND, plus 4. The rogue stuff by itself is too good. Sorry! ^^;)

(Due to her rogue/mage mix, she'll have a +2 to Subterfuge and a +1 to Knowledge. She's also gonna have 12 MP)

(For her equipment, going to give her the following -- a "frontier" [read: fantasy Bowie] knife counting as a short sword, six throwing knives as daggers, a leather jacket as ordinary leather armor, a bedroll, a free backpack, and three days' trail rations. Altogether, that's 6 sp and 33 gp. For kicks and giggles, I'll round down to 10 gp left for her)

AND NOW... LET THE QUEST CONTINUE.

~~~~~~~

When last we left our heroes, they were beat up from a battle with living oozes. Covered with acid-burns on their legs, they attempt to rest up. Unfortunately, fate had other plans in store. While more enemies are en route, does our intrepid new cast member arrive at the same time?

(3[d10]) No.

Rats.

Dana grit her pearly fangs as she bound her bare legs. "Golly, I hope the fur grows back", she muttered.
Declan nods. "It should, don't worry. When we have a second, I shall prepare my Goodberry spell. That will feed us, as well as help natural regrowth"
Daniel jolted up immediately, drawing his saber. "Look alive! Something's coming from up ahead!"

3 = 3[d8]

Goblins drew near, perhaps alerted by the ones brought to near-death by the crew earlier. How many arrive as reinforcements?

3 = 2[d4]+1

Then let the battle begin!

Daniel lets out a battle shout, charging after the lead goober!

16 = 12[d20]+4

10 = 7[d8]+3

With his war whoop, the brown-haired boy slices off the goblin's arm as it raises its club! It falls to the floor, bleeding profusely and falling into death's embrace in mere moments!

Dana clears leather with her revolver, and with a quick "Look out!" directed to Daniel, opens fire!

15 = 11[d20]+4

(I'll count meeting AC as a hit from this point forward, to make sure. Some folks prefer to beat AC, but...)

2 = 1[d6]+1

The .32 round clips the goblin's belly, but it keeps coming. Declan calls forth fire with his Produce Flame spell, lasting for 10 rounds. He then hurls the flame at the grazed goblin as a ranged attack!

3 = 2[d20]+1

But missed badly, hitting a wall! "Confound it!" he squeaks. The two goblins both pile onto Daniel!

21 = 19[d20]+2

19 = 17[d20]+2

2 = 2[d6]

4 = 4[d6]

Both smack him about with their wooden clubs, dealing a total of 6 damage! (Daniel: 9/21) (Grazed goblin: 3/5)

Trying to ignore his injuries, Daniel grits his teeth and swings at the uninjured goblin!

9 = 5[d20]+4

"Dammit!" A miss! Dana gets to her feet, dodging to the side and opening fire to hit the one she failed to kill!

18 = 14[d20]+4

4 = 3[d6]+1

And puts it down with a bullet hole in the ribcage! Declan slips in and throws his fire orb once more! (MP: 5/17)

18 = 17[d20]+1

5 = 4[d6]+1

Hit! The flames engulf the goblin's chest, causing it to scream in agony before it falls. Victory!

Do the goblins drop any goods?

(6[d10]) Yes, but...

...the burning goblin's gold coins have melted from the fire.

The party earns how much gold, then?

20 = 1[d6]+5[d6]+6[d6]+2[d6]+4[d6]+2

They also receive...

One of a kind shield.

"...something's glimmering from afar", said Dana, raising her revolver again.
Declan tends to Daniel's wounds with his Cure Light Wounds spell, which he does indeed have (misread last time; Decky's down to 2 MP!)
Daniel groans, ready to fight.

8 = 7[d8]+1

(Daniel's HP: 17/21) As Dana pulled back the hammer of her pistol, the glimmering object raised, and a feminine voice called out, "Holy cow! Don't shoot!"
Dana raised her brow. "Who are you?" she called out. "Friend or foe?"
"...friend? Who are you yourselves?" the voice called out.
"We're from the village not far from here", replied Declan. "But, again, who might you be?"
"I'm a frontiers-woman", replied the lass. "Sent here to investigate the recent paranormal activity in the forest..."
Daniel shook off his injuries. "Fine. Come forth, and if this is a trick, get disemboweled"
The individual approached. "Ummm... okay?" she asked.

Padding forth came a girl wearing a green leotard, a thick brown leather jacket, and with a ornate dancer's belt with a frontier knife hanging on a scabbard. She had fur on the lower legs and forearms like a lion's. In addition, she also had a lion-like tail, and was carrying a rather nice-looking shield defensively over her chest. Her digits ended in claws as opposed to nails, and she had chestnut brown hair and brown eyes.

She looked at the group before her. An anthropomorphic vixen with a pair of goggles across her forehead, auburn shoulder-lenth hair, a jade green short dress and short blue pants. A human boy with brown short hair, a white (and bloodied-up) shirt, brown slacks and brown leather boots. A mouse-like lad with pale skin, mouse-like ears on the sides of his head, and a whip-like tail, wearing a soft leather vest, a grey shirt, denim overalls and a pair of soft leather shoes. All armed.

"Well", jested Dana, "Some trick, huh Daniel?"
"Meh", Danny replied. "What's your name, Syrisen?"
"Uh... Holly. Of Whitesky", replied the catgirl.
"A tribal, I presume?" replied Declan, and was answered with a nod.
Dana holstered her pistol, extending the hand to shake. "Top o' the afternoon, Holly. I'm Dana. This here's Daniel, and the mouse lad is Declan".
"That's, uhh, a lot of 'D' names", replied Holly. "Hmm. So... yeah. Like I said, investigating. I assume you folk are here to do the same?"
Daniel nodded. "You could say that", he replied. "At any rate, if you're like us, why don't we tear this place apart together? What kind of skills do you have?"
Holly shrugged. "I do magic. That's all I want to say for now, heh".
Declan smiled. "Magic? Which arts?"
Holly chuckled, booping Declan on the nose. "That's for me to know, and you to find out, if more of those god-forsaken goblins arrive. Orrr... anything else that's deadly~"
Dana rolled her eyes. "Oh boy. Well, Holly, as long as you're not going to backstab us, come along. And, is that shield yours, by the way? Doesn't look like anything modern..."
Holly shrugs. "If you want it, you can have it, Dana", she replied, motioning to the silver-ornamented small shield. "I like my knives, personally".
"Really?" the vixen responded. "Holly my lass, we have some things in common..."

(Holly joins the party!)

After a brief rest, the team recovers 6 HP and 8 MP. Everyone's back to full HP, and Declan's back to 10 MP out of 17. Holly explains that she'd cleared out the ahead room, a dead-end, and suggests the four of them head down the opposite end of the path. What lies in store there...?

12 = 12[d12]

(Boss room already encountered, rerolling until I get something other than 11 or 12)

5 = 5[d12]

Up ahead, the four of them find a collapsed human body, belonging to an adult male. "Oh, gods!" cried out Dana, taking a step back. "Someone's...!"
Declan darted to the body. Is the individual alive?

(8[d10]) Yes. +Event: Trick / A plan

The blonde man slowly rises. His eyes are glazed over, and he barely seems alive. Declan identifies the individual with consternation, "...mister O'Hara... what's happened to you?"
"R... runnn..." was all the man could gasp as he collapsed, coughing up blood. Resounding from around the corner, low-throated groaning began to ring out. A foul scent assaulted the beastkins' noses, and to their horror in the pale lantern light, rotting human corpses of known villagers shambled forth, hollow husks of who they once were.

"Oh, gods, NO!" cried out Declan. "They can't all...!"
Dana grit her teeth. "Declan. Try to save O'Hara. We'll handle this".
"They're long gone now", added Daniel. "Stay behind us, and be alert".
Holly shivered. "Oh, man... here they come! Zombies!"

3 = 1[d4]+2

A trio of fallen villagers stumble forth as members of the living dead...

Dana redraws her pistol, and opens fire on one of them.

23 = 19[d20]+4

2 = 1[d6]+1

But the bullet has little effect! Daniel approaches, standing his ground. (Total defense, +2 AC/Saves)

Declan casts Cure Light Wounds on O'Hara. Does it have any effect...?

(4[d10]) No.

"Ye spirits... he's too far gone... why...?"

Holly opens with a throwing knife upon the zombie Dana shot...

15 = 12[d20]+3

4 = 4[d4]

And manages to hit it in the chest. But still, it continues on... (HP: 10/16)
The zombies, eager to feed, pile on toward Daniel...

10 = 8[d20]+2

22 = 20[d20]+2

20 = 18[d20]+2

Two hit, with one slamming Danny-boy and the other biting him sharply on the arm!

4 = 3[d6]+1

6 = 5[d6]+1

Daniel cries out in agony, reeling back and clutching his chomped arm... (HP: 11/21)

Holly draws her large frontier knife, and etching esoteric symbols into the air, she points to Daniel. In a moment's time, his body briefly shimmers with a bluish luster, protecting him with invisible armor! (+4 AC, for a total of 20, for 1 hour in-game)

Daniel, with a dose of remorse for his deceased community member, cleaves into the biting zombie.

13 = 9[d20]+4

7 = 4[d8]+3

The zombie's gummy flesh is ripped into, intestines spilling, but it keeps coming! (HP: 9/16)

Dana opens fire upon the zombie Daniel attacked! (2 rounds of 6 left in the cylinder)

14 = 10[d20]+4

2 = 1[d6]+1

But her bullets just aren't causing much harm... (HP: 7/16)

Declan rises up, tears welling up in his eyes. He conjures forth a fire orb (Produce Flames), and with a cry of inner pain hurls the flame at Dana and Daniel's zombie!

10 = 9[d20]+1

But the fireball barely misses!

The trio of zombies continue their assault upon Daniel...

17 = 15[d20]+2

3 = 1[d20]+2

9 = 7[d20]+2

But none manage to penetrate his mystical and physical armor.

Daniel attempts to finish the zombie he attacked last turn.

12 = 8[d20]+4

5 = 2[d8]+3

And barely hits, leaving it staggering from a gash to the face! (HP: 2/16)

Dana shoots it...!

22 = 18[d20]+4

Hitting with her second-to-last bullet in her chamber for...

4 = 3[d6]+1

...a killing blow at last. The bullet hits the undead being in the cranium, splattering rotten grey matter.

Declan closes in with his staff, trying to fight the other wounded zombie!

19 = 18[d20]+1

3 = 3[d6]

Hitting it, but to little avail! (HP: 7/16) Holly tries to sneak upon the zombies from the shadows...

(DC 12, because zombies are dull-witted and slow as can be...)

25 = 20[d20]+5

Success! Holly attacks the wounded zombie, adding +3 damage (due to Subterfuge rank of 3)!

9 = 6[d20]+3

...that is, if she could HIT...

The wounded zombie is grazed, and attacks Holly, while the unwounded goes after Daniel! (First = Holly, second = Daniel)

11 = 9[d20]+2

5 = 3[d20]+2

But neither hit, as both dodge away! Dana expends her last round of ammo in her revolver's cylinder on the wounded zombie!

24 = 20[d20]+4

CRITICAL HIT! Dana blows its head clean off at point-blank range, dealing an automatic 7 damage!

Holly tries to sneak into the shadows again, only to chuck a throwing knife at the remaining undead! (4 knives left, can be recovered at end of fight)

(DC 13; the zombie is barely on to her...)

23 = 20[d20]+3

Success, +3 damage if she hits...

16 = 13[d20]+3

5 = 2[d4]+3

She pegs it in the back of the neck, but it slowly turns toward her... (HP: 11/16)

...only for Daniel to charge in and swing!

8 = 4[d20]+4

But his sword only clips it, barely cutting an especially toughened patch of flesh... Declan strikes with his staff instead (hopefully)...!

16 = 15[d20]+1

4 = 4[d6]

And manages to hit! (HP: 7/16) The zombie attacks Declan, being the last one to hurt it...

8 = 6[d20]+2

But Declan dodges away. Dana tries to fire, but is only left with an empty click. She pulls a knife with her left hand, and attacks!

11 = 8[d20]+3

Barely hitting!

7 = 6[d6]+1

And managing to impale it through the skull, causing it to fall to the floor.

Victory is attained, but at what cost...?

32 = 6[d6]+5[d6]+3[d6]+3[d6]+5[d6]+10

32 gold pieces acquired, and...

Herbs.

Enough herbs from a pouch to brew a Potion of Cure Light Wounds.

Dana sighs. "That's that, then... everyone..." She grimaces, dropping to a knee and beginning to weep.
"I'm sorry, folks", said Holly somberly. "I feel bad that it had to come to this... losing your own kinsmen by your own hands".
"They were long gone, like I said", replied Daniel. "Come, Declan. Let's give them a funeral pyre, so they can't be risen again as... undead..."
Declan nodded sorely, moving the now-lifeless corpses further down the corridor and igniting them with Produce Flames. The horrid scent of burning flesh fills the damp corridors, and Declan extends prayers to the goddess of life and death, as well as to the spirits, on behalf of his fallen villagers...

~~~~~~~

Outside the ruins that night, the crew start up a campfire, having extinguished the remains of the burned bodies once enough was destroyed through Declan's Create Water orison. It's a mostly quiet supper, but all are agreed: whatever's going on, it is indeed a malevolent event.

The four return to the village, getting rest in the safety of their homes (well, with Holly hitting the local inn alongside the merchant Grimm and his guards, anyway).

While they say little about the fate of their kinsmen to the other villagers, the four stop by the elders' residing hall, offering up their grim tale as well as O'Hara's sword. The wizened folk of the council are likewise agreed with the presence of evil, and commend the four youths for their survival. They present a Potion of Cure Light Wounds for each, and ask that the four continue to explore, having faith in their abilities as fledgling adventurers.

Noon comes and goes, and the four head to Grimm's caravan for now. Until next time, though, that's all she wrote.