Classic Fantasy Savage Worlds - Lankhmar
As you can see from this play report, I did not fare quite as well in the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, as the Twain have.

Lankhmer, the City of Sevenscore Thousand SMokes. I awaken in a hovel outside the Silver Eel, on Dim Street. All I have is my dagger attachment to hand. My coins and gear have been lifted. Was I a target of the Thieves Guild?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No.

I have no idea who lifted my stuff. I notice that I am missing a tooth and feel somewhat hungover. Last thing I remember I was drinking in the Silver Eel, trying to take my mind of some maddening information I found in a strange book at the sage Tithogrustis' Library. Does he regularly let me use it?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Tith, as I call him, and I are friends. Albeit, he is many years older than myself. He lacks the training in Black Magic that I have, White was his path. He cautions me often not to delve too much in the ancient tomes that are part of his collection. I saw some...awful things from that last book. Other worlds, creatures more horrible than the Ratlings that dwell in Lankhmar Below, or anything that comes out of the Salt Marshes. It was a book Tith purchased from a wandering Mingol in one of the Eight Cities. I forget which.

What details are starting to come to light as to how i got robbed?

Waste / The spiritual.

God Street is where it started. Some new priest of some new god--Kruug, is I remember the name right, just this side of Marsh Gate. Supposedly he had a job for me. It would pay a few smerducks. Steal a small jeweled dagger from a man called Herval, who could usually be found gambling at the Eel. I made my way over to Dim Street, watched him a while. When I left, I shadowed him. As I snuck up, it was the last step he heard. Next thing I knew, I was tossed. I don't think he did this, but he sure look scared when he noticed me.
I notice Blood on the cobbled streets.

I some on my clothing?

(Very Likely | 7[d10]) Yes.

There is blood on my dagger hand and clothing. But I know I did not kill Herval. Not at all. All I did was drink as I watched him, shadowed him a bit, and got tossed.

Am I a thieves guild member?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

While I am not a thieves guild member, I am a member of the Assassin's Guild. A lot of my training overlaps with that of thieves. One thing I have that that many don't is skill with arcane magic. It was my background in black magic that brought me of interest to the assassin's guild. But this kill was not sanctioned, nor would I have done this. This was just a quick side job for that priest of Kruug, that went very bad.

I follow the trail of blood on the cobbles. The smog and smoke is chocking tonight, winding through the dark streets like tendrils. An occasional torch or lit building helps me follow the blood trail. Herval must not have died immediately. The trail goes to a muddy, slender ally. What do I see?

Ravager.

There is a vile street tough, screaming at me, swinging a dagger wildly. He is covered with tatoos. His dark knife comes at me.

Initaite for me, then him

He goes first.

6 = 6[d6]

6 = 6[d6]

6 = 6[d6]

2 = 2[d6]

Oh My god, the Thug hits with a 20!. My parry is 6. A hit with 3 raises.

Since he hit with a raise, he gets a d6 bonus to the damage. Str d4, dagger d4

7 = 2[d4]+2[d4]+3[d6]

Total of 7 points of damage...compared to my toughness of 5, I am shaken. No raises, spend a benny immediately to remove the shaken. I shrug off the lightning quick attack. The dirty thug really suprised me. I attack with my dagger.

2 = 1[d6]+1[d6]

Both dice come up 1's. Something awful happens. Do I drop my weapon in the darkness...?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes. +Event: Ruin / The intellectual

The thug expertly parries my dagger attack, and even manages to wrest it from my hand attachment. It falls to the ground, and he steps upon it in one deft motion. The snap of the blade echoes in the dark twisted alley. "You have been defeated, my friend....yield to me or lest the ratlings feast upon your bones."

Funny how the mind works when faced with stressful situations. Maybe it was the booze, but I couldn't help thinking this urchin sounded much more intelligent then he appeared. His words had a certain....polish to them. His manner of speaking was educated, not like the usual grub that would be out on the streets in Lankhmar at night. He goes to swing again. I wonder if maybe I could reason with this guy.

initaive, me then him

Rather then yield, I try to fast talk him. Persuasion was never my strong suit. Since I don't have the skill -2 to spirit.

4 = 6[d6]-2

4 = 6[d6]-2

4 = 6[d6]-2

0 = 2[d6]-2

an 18 result. I come off as very persuasive. "Friend in the shadows, nigh. I am not your enemy, for I myself was also attacked. Please, let us combine our efforts to find the true enemy."

Now if he is here to kill me, then even that stellar result won't work. Is he?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

I quickly surmise he is here to kill me. I quickly look about for a makeshift weapon. A brick, a stone, anything. Do I see one?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

YES! and its a DIRK that someone lost. As I focus more on it, it seems to be the discarded jeweled hilt of the dagger I was supposed to steal from Havel. A nearby watchfire just makes a glint enough to see in the muck.

THe articulate thug lunges at me again. He's definately trained.

6 = 6[d6]

3 = 3[d6]

Currently, I am unarmed, so the end result is 11 (armed vs. unarmed receives a +2). Against my parry of 6, this is a raise. He'll get a bonus of 1d6

7 = 4[d6]+3[d4]

I'm shaken. Spend a bennie to remove that. For my next move, I need to be able to devote an action to diving for that dirk. The irony that this is the same dirk that got me into all this mess is not lost on me!

Down to 1 benny, and its time to draw down. Me, then him.

Tied number, but spade hearts diamonds clubs is the order for resolving a tie (reverse alphabet). Diamond beats club, so I am first.

I dive for the dirk, while at the same time concentrating on defense. Ordinarily, concentrating on defense would give a +2 to parry, and allow a move. But here, I need to take an action to grab the dirk (arm myself). So no bonus. I grab the dirk in my good hand (right hand).

The Thug takes another swing!

1 = 1[d6]

Whiff, he slices air. TIme for initiative again.

I lunge at him, jeweled hilt dirk in hand.

11 = 6[d6]+5[d6]

6 = 6[d6]

4 = 4[d6]

16, which is a hit with a raise. So I get a bonus 1d6 to damage.

11 = 2[d6]+4[d4]+5[d6]

11 total, is a hit with a raise.
I drive the jewled hilt dagger into his heart, and the thug gurgles one last time. I am panting frantically. While in the soft glow of a watchfire lighting up this alley from dim street, I figure I better give him over a look while I can see a bit. Do I find anything of value or importance?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but... +Event: Persecute / Danger

I find a few smerducks (1d6), and a small key on a tiny chain. Not real useful, unless I knew what it was to. I have heard tales of the thieves, and even some in the assassins guilds using secured drop locations. Wonder if this is one of those? THere's a sigil on the key, but I don't readily recognize it as any of the merchant houses or moneylenders that I am familiar. But this is Lankhmar, its a big place and I am no way familiar with them all. Maybe soon I can get back to the assassin's guild and see what some of the others think about this. Of course, I am not sure I want them to know that I was freelancing for a priest.

Maybe I ought to keep my mouth shut, and investigate this key on my own, without the help of the guild.

I get my bearings, suddenly realizing I am in Bone Alley. (How fitting).

I know I am not heading back to the Eel. So if I got East, the alley will dump me on Carter street. If follow the alley to West, it will angle North and I will end up in Plague's Court. I'll definately head for Carter Street.

I don't want to head to Plague's Court. I once had a friend that lived there, in one of the hovels. His name was The Gray Mouser, and he always traveled with this tall guy. A northerner from the look of him. I don't think his house is still there. I doubt he'd be able to help me anyway. But maybe I'll see in the Silver Eel in the next few days. If I haven't made any progress by then, that's the way I'll go. For now, on to Carter Street.

Just as I am about to dump onto Carter street and head for home, I'm jumped by two more thugs.
"Sheesh, don't you guys give up," I yell.

Two of them on me, they are going to have the advantage. They seem to be a bit better equipped, with shiny shortwords and fine cloaks. Decent clothes too, and expensive looking leather armor. They appear more organized, and with two of them on me, they will have the advantage. I am fighting them at the mouth of where bones alley dumps into Carter Street. I briefly think about trying to jump up on some barrels and hoist myself up to the roofs. I grip the jeweled dagger instead. Fuck 'em. I'm pissed and in no mood for a rooftop jaunt through the dark city. Been there, done that.

They go first. Shortwords and cloaks come at me!!! Gods!

2 = 1[d8]+1

8 = 7[d8]+1

I dodge one, but the other hits home.

9 = 4[d8]+5[d6]

That's a raise. I take a wound. Better spend my last bennie for a soak roll.

(It is a setting rule that I get a +2 to soak rolls, since I am unarmored -- as per Lankhmar book)

So it will be a vigor roll +2, and if I succeed (soak the wound) my shaken is also gone.

Results of Vigor Trait test

5 = 3[d6]+2

7 = 5[d6]+2

Success, I am out of bennies and no longer shaken. My turn.

8 = 5[d6]+3[d6]

Best roll was a 5. I'm starting to think these are Bravos...paid swordsmen sent to me to finish the job that the previous thug couldn't. They kill for coin. Well...I do too. Can't really blame them much.

The night rings from the parry.

6 = 6[d8]

1 = 1[d8]

One hit.

8 = 6[d6]+2[d8]

I'm shaken, a little stunned.

It's just a small gash from the sword, but I need to get my bearings.

Spirit roll to recover my wits. I can't perform any other actions but free actions, so I cuss the Bravo up one side and down the other.

8 = 6[d6]+2[d6]

I gain my wits about me. I'm pissed now, letting out curses that would make the courtesans on Whore Street blush.

My turn.

10 = 5[d6]+5[d6]

3 = 2[d6]+1[d4]

My plunge doesn't get past the Bravo's jerkin. I'm starting to think I am really in trouble here.

6 = 6[d8]

1 = 1[d8]

9 = 3[d6]+6[d8]

That's a hit with a raise (my toughness is 5). So I take a wound. From here on out, trait tests will have a -1 for me. And I am shaken. I have no bennies left. Starting to think I can't win this one. Suddenly, the dark rooftops seem to be a good alternative.

They got the drop.

2 = 1[d8]+1

2 = 1[d8]+1

Wow, a couple of whiffs. Perhaps Aarth is looking out for me tonight after all. Time for a retreat.

I'm not really much of a climber. Is there something to help me climb here?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes.

I run full speed and lunge for a downspout.

1 = 3[d6]-2

2 = 4[d6]-2

The drain spout gives way, and I am unable to get a hold.

6 = 6[d8]

6 = 6[d8]

Couple of hits!

6 = 5[d6]+1[d8]

9 = 5[d6]+4[d8]

One is a hit, and that's a wound cause I am already shaken. The next is a wound and a raise. That puts me to 4.

I am incapacitated.

I need to make an immediate Vigor roll at -3.

0 = 3[d6]-3

-2 = 1[d6]-3

On a total of one or less, the character dies. Finras is slain. The Bravos pick up the chain and the smerducks, and take the jeweled hilt dagger.

OH WELL, IT WAS MY FIRST TRY WITH THE SAVAGE WORLDS ENGINE, AND IT WAS A LOT OF FUN. SAVAGE WORLDS USES CARDS FOR INITIATIVE AND I NOTICE THOSE DON'T ENCODE HERE. TAKE MY WORD FOR WHO WON THE INITIATIVES.
(07-18-2015, 07:22 PM)samuelcollins1 Wrote: SAVAGE WORLDS USES CARDS FOR INITIATIVE AND I NOTICE THOSE DON'T ENCODE HERE.

Yeah, sorry about that. I might look into how to make the cards come over.

Thanks for sharing your story!