Classic Fantasy The Lion, the Skeleton, & the Rowboat
Very short story to test out my custom "race" list and posting format. Ended up very different from any "classic" fantasy story, but in that genre.

I am a
Skeleton.
which makes life difficult at times. For instance, I cannot talk, however, I'm still skilled at
Boating.
and
First aid.
Naturally, I became a lifeguard. I never go to work without my
Backpack.
and
Dagger.
just in case I need to stab a shark.
One day, I'm sitting at work when suddenly a
Gargantuan.
Lion.
bobs above the water and starts swimming toward a little group of
Lizard dude.
s frolicking in the waves. I shout at them, but do they hear me?
(Very Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
they start swimming farther from shore, like nincompoops. I mutter under my breath, then realize that they couldn't hear my shouts because it was just my jaw clicking, no breath or tongue. Realizing that it won't matter, I hurl insults at the swimmers as I furiously paddle to intersect the lion. Do I make it?
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
the lion sees my boat and veers toward it. I draw my dagger and wonder if the lion will flip my little boat.
(Very Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
instead he seems to be getting pulled under by the weight of his drenched mane. Hoping to get a raise or at least the key to the city, I leap from the prow of my boat at the drowning lion, my dagger poised above my head and glistening in the sunlight, jaw open in a silent battle cry. In midair I wonder if the lion is close enough to land on.
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No.
I splash down in front of the lion, right in the area where his struggling paws are attempting to swim. One paw does strike me, causing a
(-1 = 1[d20]+-2) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.
on my tibia. Fortunately I think I can sand it out.
I grab the lions mane, which is all around me, and our combined weight is enough to pull him under. As we go down time slows, then our eyes lock and I can see terrified fear, hopeless despair, and the innocence of animal incomprehension fill the massive eyes of the creature. I pity him for a split second before he realizes that I'm the weight pulling him down and tries to dismember me, resulting in a
(5 = 4[d20]++1) Negligible: Nick/Scratch/Bruise.
on my other tibia. I think I may keep them as a memento, since they are a matching set. Feeling totally invincible, I plunge my dagger at the beasts chest. There's no way I can miss, I'm holding him for Pete's sake. Floating under his mane I see blood from a
(11 = 11[d20]) Minor Injury: Largely superficial; painful and distracting, but not life threatening.
but not enough to kill him, or so I think. Forgetting that he's under water, the gargantuan lion roars in pain. Air bubbles explode around my head and rush toward the surface. As they clear I wonder if the lion has drowned or still has a bit of life left, specifically enough life to attack me again.
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
he seems to be giving it his all, as if he knows that this is his last chance to crunch on bones, in this life anyway. His lips curl up into almost a smile as his mouth opens and moves toward me. I did not scream, but looked death in the face with stony silence, my eyes locked on my adversary, my mouth agape as if I were trying to.... never mind that. The lions teeth encircled my head and with his dyeing effort he closed his jaw, leaving me with
(21 = 20[d20]+1) Killed.
no time for another thought.