Classic Fantasy Chapter 1: Humble beginnings... well not really
This story is set in the Dragon Age universe, although an alternate history to some degree. It's after the time of the Blight, where the Hero of Ferlden beat the Archdemon and the Grey Wardens have scattered to the wind, but before DA:2 and DA:I. I know that Dragon Age has its own system, but I'm using one called Worlds of Adventure, which is a Dungeon World hack. I'll be using a playbook (class) of the same system. I'll be doing a couple of posts for each chapter and then a new thread when another chapter begins. I don't know when I'll stop, but we'll see where the story takes me.

Please, let me know what you think in posts below, thanks for reading!

Name: Gannon
Description: Bald human sorcerer (apostate mage) who wears worn robes because they hide the light scars that move and change around his body.

Stats:
STR = -1; DEX = 0; CON = +1; INT = 0; WIS = +1; CHA = +3
HP = 18/18; MANA = 5/5
Armor = 0 (+2 w/ at least 1 MANA)
Damage = d6
Level = 2; XP = 0/9

Class Moves:
Arcane Meditation
Cast a Spell
Ritual

Advanced Moves
Arcane Ward
Power is My Only Master

Spells:
Magic Missile, Contact Spirits, Invisibility, Knock, Telepathy

Notable NPCs:
Priest Titus (Chantry priest who killed Gannon's family)
Layana (City elf, servant at Redcliff castle)

Background: Gannon is from the village of Lothering, and when he was a boy, he saw his people murdered, not by the darkspawn as everyone seems to think, but the Chantry itself. The town started to get affected by the taint and seeing that nothing could be done to save the townspeople, the Chantry declared them darkspawn. The main culprit of the massacre was Priest Titus, he killed Gannon's parents in front of him. But before they could get to him, the darkspawn attacked the village.

Gannon managed to escape and found himself traveling to the Kokari Wilds, where he found a mysterious old witch called Flemeth. She raised him for a couple of years and taught him the ways of magic. The boy showed great aptitude for magic, even more so than Flemeth first suspected. Even still, the boy would still talk about getting his revenge and making Priest Titus pay in the end, making him respect the power he would gain. Eventually, there was nothing else that Flemeth could teach the young man and released him into Ferelden. He made his way to Redcliff, where he got his first job and... well read on to know the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Humble beginnings... well not really

"Please excuse me, adventurer. You're a sight for sore eyes.

Seven years it has been, seven years since we secured our lands and we could live in peace. But now they're back and they're stronger than ever. Hero, we'll need your help to get rid of those hideous darkspawn. If you think you'll need any help, I'm willing to come along.
I don't think you'll have much troubles dealing with those orcs. Try to kill all those who stand in your way, we don't need their filth in our lands.

I will be able to reward you greatly, should you return successfully. Blessed journey champion, may you return swiftly and in one piece."

These were the words that ran through my mind as I looked at my enemy from my hiding spot. I did my job, which was to kill Gaakt, the darkspawn Emissary Alpha. Now, I just have to deal with his bodyguard and escape as quickly as possible. Has the alarm sounded?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

I could hear the loud echoing sound throughout the camp, each second becoming more dangerous than the next. My eyes were on the price, the money and fame I would gain once I return back triumphant from these darkspawn infested lands.
Is the Hurlock bodyguard aware of me?

(50/50) Yes, but...

The orc knows that I'm the one responsible for killing the Alpha and that I'm somewhere in the room. What's the room look like?

Well-guarded school

After leaving the main tent, while being chased by the orc, I entered a bigger building that looks like a place where the darkspawn seem to train. Quite a number of their weapons and armor are scattered around the room, and the walls show signs of abuse. Thankfully, there's a lot of places to hide here so I hid behind a rack of armors on the opposite direction of the Hurlock. Is there a way out nearby?

(50/50) No

I curse myself for not noticing that the way out is in the opposite side of the large tent before. I look around to see if there's something useful. (This is a 'Discern Realities check w/ WIS)

10 = 3[d6]+6[d6]+1

'What here is useful to me?'

Torch

What is about to happen?

Animals

As I look around, I could hear the sound of animals outside the large tent, which likely indicated that reinforcements were not far behind. I see a torch hidden among the litter in the room and decided to throw it to the other side of the room. I light it, then throw it to try and distract the darkspawn, and see if it'll give me enough time to escape. (That's a Defy Danger roll w/ INT)

4 = 1[d6]+3[d6]

(Fail, 1 XP) The torch is wet and slips from my hands and clatters to the floor. My enemy turns around and heads in the direction of the sound and finds me kneeling down next to the fallen torch. The Hurlock grins and slashes out with his very sharp sword in my direction. I jump back to try and evade the swipe of his blade. (Defy Danger w/ DEX)

4 = 3[d6]+1[d6]

(Fail, 1 XP) The enemy connects with his blade slicing at my torso, the arcane ward around me absorbing some of the damage but not all of it. (Damage is 1d6+3 - 2 armor)

5 = 4[d6]+1

(-5 HP, 13/18) The orc smiles happily at me knowing that he took some flesh with his attack. I'm mad this time so I decide to concentrate my magic energy (Cast a Spell roll+CHA)

8 = 5[d6]+1[d6]+2

(Random 7-9 effect)

2 = 2[d3]

I land back away from the Hurlock and clutch my stomach, although he smiles again as he walks towards me, getting his sword ready. I channel my energy, and I feel my scars move around my body. They vibrate every few seconds and they gather at my hands with a resounding hum. Not a second later I concentrate harder and let loose the gathered energy in the form of an arrow. I pull back my arm to simulate the knocking back of the bow and let the magical arrow fly through the air, follow by a couple more behind the first. (Damage 2d6+1 STUN, Spend 1 mana for extra effect, 2/3 MANA)

8 = 6[d6]+1[d6]+1

The arrow flies through the air, and sticks into the orc flinging him backwards against the wall. He gets pinned down and can't move but I don't know if it kills him or not. (Does it kill him?)

(50/50) No +Twist: Organization / Helps the hero

It doesn't kill him but he can't move as the arrow has him pinned against the wall. All of a sudden, I hear the sounds of fighting outside the tent I'm in. I open the door to the outside and see several farmers from the village that asked for my help, "Huh, so they finally decided to do something." I sneered. "Took them long enough."

Are they winning the fight?

(50/50) Yes

They must have taken the darkspawn by surprise, but how did the find out that the Emissary Alpha had been killed? I decide to continue down a path away from the fighting but that it would lead me towards the entrance of the camp. Do I run into anything?

(Somewhat Likely) No

Fortunately, the villagers have the rest of the darkspawn and their pets busy. It allows me to reach the entrance easily. Does anybody notice me?

(50/50) No +Twist: NPC / Appears

Ignorant religious fanatic

I pull the hood of my robe over my head and head outside the perimeter of the camp. Nobody notices me but as soon as I step out I hear a thundering voice behind me. I look in the direction of the villagers and see that a priest in Chantry robes keeps spouting Chant of Light nonsense behind the villagers. Does it seem to be helping the villagers?

(Likely) Yes

It seems that what he's spouting is inspiring the villagers to repel back the darkspawn horde, but something seems off. Do I recognize the priest?

(50/50) No

I shrug and turn around to continue back towards Redcliff and see about collecting the money I was promised. "This will get me closer to my goal. I will find him and I will kill him."
The trip to Redcliff is not a long one, but a tiring one. I knew the way back and it only took half a day to get there. It was a big town, surrounded by mountains something that was always interesting. The sun shone over the town, with the shadow of Redcliff castle cast over part of it and over Lake Calenhad. The town seems to have prospered in the years after the Blight, but that's something that nobody will ever forget. I wasn't here so I don't know what they experienced but I did went through something myself, but it'll be redeemed soon enough.

I head on over to The Deep Snakes, the new tavern that opened to long ago, to meet my contact. Is it a man?

(50/50) Yes +Twist: PC / Alters the location

I was walking to there but then I remembered that I told him that I didn't want to talk there. Too many prying eyes and ears in there that could be listening and looking at something that wasn't their business. I told him to meet me in the Chantry. It was a place I seldom go, only when I mean business because that's I am suspicious of everyone there, which keeps me on my toes.

I enter the Chantry and survey the inside, trying to find my contact. Is it crowded?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes, but...

It's crowded but it isn't time for a teaching so it seems a bit weird. My senses are high, my blood is pumping but I go and sit on a bench in the back of the church. Is my contact here?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes, and...

I spotted my contact as he found me as well. He headed in my direction and sat down next to me. "Is it done?" he asks. Is he nervous?

(50/50) Yes, and...

His voice is shaking as well as his body. "Yes." I say with suspicion. I noticed that he's still shaking as I give him the proof he wanted, a piece of the necklace and hair of the Emissary Alpha. I hand it over and he takes it hurriedly and then ask, "Hey, is everything ok?"

(Somewhat Unlikely) No +Twist: Emotional event / Changes the goal

He looks at me with dread in his eyes. "What?" I ask, and before he responds an arrow goes through his head, splitting it open. Blood splatters all over me, I stand up and turn towards the direction in which the arrow came from. Some of the people inside the church had taken their robes off and Templars are standing in their place. About a dozen or so are inside the church with me and are surrounding me at this point. I put my arms up in defeat, "Fine, you win. You could've at least let me finish the conversation and gotten paid."

I get put in a cell in the dungeons of Redcliff castle, with no idea of why, although I have a pretty good one. That's what happens when mages don't play nice with the Templars and decide to not be part of the Circle of Mages. "I don't need them. I've been doing fine on my own. And at this point they'll kill me anyway." I say to myself as I look around the cell to try and find something useful. I would rather not use my magic as a last resort. (Discern Realities, roll+WIS)

6 = 2[d6]+3[d6]+1

I don't find anything of the sort, and take too long to find it. In fact, I can hear footsteps coming towards my cell. Do I hear anybody else in the cells around me?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

There seems to be people in the cells next to me, they moan and grunt as though they can't speak. I imagine they've been here a long time. Soon after I hear the guards metal boots coming in my direction. Do they stop at my cell?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes, and...

They stop at my cell, two of them, with their swords and shields ready. Another with a chantry symbol on his chest, in full battle gear as well, is behind them. They open the door and hiss at me, "Come out apostate, you're coming with us."

"Can I at least ask where are we going?" I ask, all the while my brain is working trying to find something that I can use to my advantage. I decide to try and have the locks on the doors open. (Cast as spell, roll+CHA)

9 = 3[d6]+4[d6]+2

(Succeed w/ Random effect)

3 = 3[d3]

I didn't take into account all the cells in this dungeon but I manage to gather enough magic. The scars around my body feel hot and they vibrate until the they gather at my hands. I make a gesture with my hands, and with a loud CLICK all cell doors open. The prisoners storm out of them yelling and screaming, some go straight to the guards and others just run trying to find the exit. I loose my robe and stay in plain clothes, trying to resemble and pass as one of the prisoners. (Defy Danger, roll+INT)

9 = 4[d6]+5[d6]

Do the Templars spot me?

(Likely) Yes

As I head out the door, the Templars spot me among the crazed escaped prisoners. I curse under my breath and keep going through the castle. I move through hallways and stairs, weaving through household staff. (Defy Danger, roll+DEX)

9 = 6[d6]+3[d6]

I weave through people but I see two hallways in front of me. I can hear the Templar boots behind me, so I have a choice to make. I can either go left or right. I choose right and head down that hallway. There are a lot of doors on both sides. Do they lead to rooms?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

Inside the doors I can see bedrooms. Are they occupied?

(50/50) No

There's a bunch of empty rooms, so I decide to duck into one of them and hide inside the a tall dresser. I hear the clanking of boots running past and as they recede away from the room. I wait a bit more time, before I finally unwind and look around the dresser. Am I in a man's dresser?

(50/50) No

I'm not in a man's room, but probably in one of the staff's room. Is the room nicely decorated?

(50/50) Yes

I see that the room has nice furniture, which makes it seem like it doesn't belong to the any of the staff. Maybe, it belongs to one of the nobles living here. Are there any man clothes I can wear?

(Somewhat Unlikely) Yes

After searching a bit, I find man clothes that fit me and hurry to put them on. I get dressed and proceed to go out in the hallway, looking for the exit. I need to think about this and remember if I passed anything of relevance before I came into the room. (Spout Lore, roll+INT)

3 = 1[d6]+2[d6]

I can't really remember as I was running to fast to catch any details. I'm pacing in the room back and forth, wondering what to do next, when I hear a GASP come from the doorway. I turn and see a woman looking in my direction. She seems to be frozen and stunned, she looks like she doesn't know what to do. We both stare at each other, not moving an inch. Is she afraid of me?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

Does she know who I am?

(Somewhat Likely) No

She doesn't know who I am but I can see the fear in her eyes. She starts to take a step back when I quickly cross the room and stop her. I use my hand to cover her mouth and grab her, but not before she lets out a small yelp. "Look, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to hurt you.", I say staring into her eyes. She looks back but I don't read can't read her intention. "Look, if you don't say anything I'll leave you alone and you don't have to see me again." (Parley, roll+CHA)

11 = 5[d6]+4[d6]+2

She slowly nods and I remove my hand from her mouth. She doesn't scream and I'm surprised, but then I notice that she's looking at my body. I only have plaid tanned shirt with some pants. They don't cover my whole body as the robe did, so my scars can be seen. Her eyes trace them all around my arms and legs, and back inside the clothes. I smile at her, "Don't ask. It's a long story." That seems to catch her attention and she turns red with embarrassment. "Don't worry. You're not the first nor will be the last." I say matter of factly.

Is she more relaxed?

(Likely) Yes, and...

She seems to let her guard down and relaxes a little. The girl even manages to close the door behind her before turning her attention to me. This is the first time I'm actually looking at her, absorbing the details of her face and body. She's an elf, probably a city elf and a servant as well. Her clothes are not as nice as the ones I'm wearing but they look like a prisoners. That means that she's well taken care of, and that usually comes with being the daughter of the Head of staff inside the castle.

She has dark brown hair, blue eyes and she seems a bit short compared to the elves I've seen outside in the wild. It's possible that she's part human too, which makes her a bit more interesting. "So, first things first. What's your name?" I ask to break the uncomfortable silence. She looks up from the ground and before answering begins to look at my moving scars again. "L-Lanaya, sir." she says with a tremble in her voice.

"Look Lanaya, like I said I'm not going to hurt you." I say to her as I move towards the door. I open it a crack and try to listen for any metal footsteps but it's quiet. I turn towards the shy elf. "Do you know of any way to get out of here?"

(Likely) Yes

She slowly nods. "Okay, well, can you tell me?"

(50/50) No

I turn to her from the door with a look of surprise. "Why not? Do you want something?" I ask shifting one of my eyebrows up.

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

Deliver the worn-out scimitar to the strategically important pawn shop.

"Sir, my father was one of the few that went to fight the battle against the darkspawn a few days ago, but he hasn't returned. He gave me something before he left, it's a old family heirloom weapon, but I have no need for it." She pauses for a second and I stare at her with a puzzled, but she continues. "If you promise to get it from my home, sell it and bring me the money, I'll tell you how to get out of this place." I turn my attention to the door now as I hear boots coming towards this direction.

"Fine, I'll do it." I agree and look at her pleading to tell me. She gets serious now, "Promise me." she says sternly. It takes me a bit by surprise because of the change in her demeanor but I agree, "I promise." She then smiles and heads over to the dresser I was in. She moves it with no problem to reveal a passage inside the wall, "This takes you out into the courtyard next to the fence, which you can hop over as it's crumbling a bit." She stares into my eyes, "Don't forget your promise." Finally, she draws a picture on a piece of paper showing the location of her family's house. "Good luck, Gannon.", she calls out to me as I head into the tunnel which makes me stop. I turn around and she's not there anymore, but the steps are getting closer. So, without another thought, I continue down to escape my captors.
A really short one as I'm doing this half asleep, although I think the story is turning out to be pretty good. I'll update the first post to reflect health, XP, and stats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look down at the map scribbled on a piece of paper, even if I don't like much people I do keep my promises... most of the time. The raggedy shack in front of me looks almost like the one on the drawing. I look back at Redcliff castle one last time and let out a sigh in relief when nobody came after me. Is it day at this point?

(50/50) No

I assume that I spent a significant amount of time inside the dungeon and in my escape cause it's already dark. The house doesn't show any lighting from the inside so I don't know if anybody is inside. I move towards the front door and hesitantly knock on the door. Does anybody answer?

(Somewhat Unlikely) Yes

After a couple of seconds, I go to knock again and the door suddenly opens wide. Is it a man?

(50/50) Yes

Is he middle-aged?

(50/50) No

Is he a boy?

(Somewhat Likely) No

An old man, probably late in his sixties squints after opening the door. "Yes?" he says in a shaky voice. "Out with it boy? You better have a good reason to come here so late." the old man then snaps. I tell him about the promise to the elf inside the castle, Layana, and that I had to pick up a weapon from this house. Does he know Layana?

(Somewhat Likely) No

"Who?" he asks with a confused look. I'm trying to read his face and find out if he's playing or not. (Discern Realities, roll+WIS)

8 = 6[d6]+1[d6]+1

Is the old man lying to me? Or does he really not know her? (What here is not as it appears to be?)

(50/50) No, but...

It appears that the old man is not lying but there's something weird about him. Like he's holding something back, "Sir, I must ask? Do you know anybody called Layana or know something about an old item?"

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

At the mention of the old item, his eyes open wide and pulls me into the house. He hurriedly closes the door. "Who are you? Where did you come from? Who sent you?", he asks not showing any of the old age symptoms. I explain that Layana sent me and her story about taking a weapon and selling it. Does he believe me?

(50/50) Yes, but...

He relaxes a bit, "I believe you son, but I know nobody of that name." he admits. "I have been trying to get rid of this for a long time now. It's curious that you come just in time when I was thinking of tossing it out." As he talks he motions for me to following him into another room of the house. The small house has two bedrooms, although only one has a bed in it. The house seems to be in disrepair, like it hasn't been fixed in a long time. The table is all banged up in the living room, the chairs have one leg missing and there's plates scattered around the kitchen portion of the house. The old man leads me to the bedroom with nothing in it, all the way to the back where there's an old battered chest. The old man kneels in front of it and opens it taking out the so called item. "This is what you're looking for."

Very high quality dragonscale armor

It is not an actual weapon, but a piece of armor. The armor is dirty; looks like moss got ahold of a long time ago and didn't let go. But underneath all the mess I notice that it's very good quality. It's made of dragonscale, probably from the Archdemon when it was killed. I guess there's no need for it since there's no Blight, but why has it been kept here in this place all this time. The old man picks it up and brushes the dirt away, revealing a dragon head printed on the chest of breastplate. "This has been in my family for a long time, I believe it was used to battle the Archdemon in the last Blight. But there's no need for it as I don't go fighting battles anymore." He looks kind of disappointed at the breastplate, "I've been trying to sell it but no go, as people believe it's cursed... on account of the dragon printed on it or something."

"I was going to throw it away", says the old man. "But you can have it, I have no need for it." he shrugs. I look at him dubiously. Is he really giving for free?

(Somewhat Likely) Yes

"Are you sure I can have this?" I ask. He nods with a smile and assures me that he's done with the fighting, that he hopes somebody has a better use for it. I take in my arms and suddenly my scars start to vibrate and move around. Now that I notice, it's curious that the old man hasn't said anything about that till now. "Well, don't mind if I do?" I say with a grin. Is it magical?

(Somewhat Likely) No

It doesn't feel magical, but my scars are still reacting to it. They're moving around more than usual, and surprisingly the armor doesn't feel heavy at all. The old man waits until he can't no more, "Ok, now leave. I need my sleep and you're interrupting it." He rushes me out of the house and closes the door behind him. But before he does, he says "Be careful, Gannon." I turn around at the sound of my name but the door closes. I start to knock to see if the old man responds. Is there a response?

(50/50) Yes

There's a response at the door. Is it the old man?

(50/50) No

As soon as the door swings open, another person, that was not the old man is standing there. "Yeah, what do you want?" asks a burly man. The sound of laughter could be heard from the inside and a voice of a woman comes from the inside as well, "Who is it honey?" she asks. "I don't know, some kid that looks dumbfounded." he yells back. I compose and excuse myself, then turn around and start heading to the entrance of the town with a million thoughts in my mind. I keep holding the armor in my hands, staring at the dragon symbol etched in the center. I put it on and soon as I do, the armor starts to vibrate, along with my scars. I don't know why or how but they seem to vibrate in tune with each other. I decide that I've spent too much time outside and the Templars could be looking for me in town. Leaving town is a good decision, but where to go is the question. I think going back home is a good option. I'm heading back to Lothering and see if I can find out anything about Priest Titus there. Hopefully, I'll have my revenge soon.
ooh! I really like this! You did a really good job!
(12-22-2017, 06:00 PM)Zandra003 Wrote: ooh! I really like this! You did a really good job!

Thank you very much! I'm really liking where this story is going, although it's nothing like I imagined it haha