Classic Fantasy A Forgotten Realms Wizard Adventure.
Hello everyone! I've played around with Mythic GME and this site a fair amount in the last couple of months, but this is my first full play through. My story will be set in the Forgotten Realms and I will use the D&D 5e rule set to resolve combat and some aspects of skill checks that rpgsolo may not work well with.

Background-

1I'll be playing a High Elf wizard named Theren Galendel who hails from Waterdeep. He is a professor of magical lore at a wizard Academy in Waterdeep. He is obsessed with gathering knowledge about The Art and how spells have changed since the Time of Troubles. Until recently, he had been content with gathering information through research alone. However he has found that some of the books and tomes he is interested in require him to leave the comforts of his tower. He is willing to do almost anything to further his research, often putting himself into harms way. He always carries one notebook that is the sum of all his life's work. He guards it with his life.

1. Prologue

Where am I?

Deadly lair.

Okay, so the game looks to begin in media res. Terrific! What am I trying to do in this deadly lair?

Steal treasure from the enemy apothecary.

Alright. It seems that I have located an apothecary that must contain another of the books I am looking for. This book contains the recipe for an ink that allows a wizard to transfer spells to a spell book much quicker than normal. This is an item that Theren greatly wants.

So what is standing in my way of getting this book?

Will-o-wisp.

Terrific! A highly challenging creature. Do I have anything to help me in my quest?

Very high quality boots.

Very well. I have happened upon a pair of boots of teleportation. They will allow me to teleport three times per day. This should help me avoid the will o wisp.

Theren stood quietly as the fire crackled and poped in a small cooking fire set in the center of the room. The smoke from a burning rat on a spit curled up through a hole in the ceiling. Around the fire lay several fur blankets and a bag. It looked like someone camped here until not long ago, but then left in a hurry.

Are there other doors in this room?

(Very Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Violate / Advice

He looked back at the door he entered from and then towards the door on the far side of the room. "No point in turning back now," he thought, making his way towards the far door. "I need that recipe for the ink." He grabbed his quarterstaff tightly in his right hand and whispered a quick word. His eyes fluttered as he finished the incantation that would reveal any signs of magic in the room.

Do I detect magic?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

Struggle.

The spell's powers took effect as Theren scanned the room. Nothing glowed with the tell-tale orange of presence arcane power. But then it flickered. His power diminished over a few minutes and then was gone. "That's strange," Theren thought. "The spell's powers ended in half the time as usual." Theren knew that certain areas of the Realms had been severely scared by the Time of Troubles. Perhaps this was one of those spots. He shrugged and made his way carefully to the door on the far side of the room.

Does Theren hear anything on the other side of the door?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes.

Theren leaned his ear up to the door and listened carefully.

Jewelry.

He strained his ears and made out the faint sound of chains rattling on the other side of the door.

Looking through the keyhole can I make out what is on the other side?

(Very Likely | 8[d10]) Yes.

Theren slowly brought his right eye to the key hole and peered into the room. Corpses and pieces of corpses hang from hooks that dangle from chains attached to thick iron rings. Most appear humanoid but a few of the body parts appear more monstrous. You don't see any heads, hands, or feet -- all seem to have been chopped or torn off. Neither do you see any guts in the horrible array, but several thick leather sacks hang from hooks in the walls, and they are suspiciously wet and the leather looks extremely taut -- as if it' under great strain.

In the midst of all of it is a single skeleton pacing the room back and forth, the chains around its ankles, rattling and scraping with every step. Is the door unlocked?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

Theren turned the door handle ever so gently and found that it was unlocked. However, the wood is old and decrepit and opening the door into the room will most likely alert the skeleton.

Theren took a deep breath and opened the door as quietly as he possibly could. Does the skeleton notice the door open?

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

The door creaked open loudly as Theren stepped into the room. The skeleton cocked his head in Theren's direction and raised his sword, shambling towards the wizard. Theren stepped further into the room, avoiding the corpses hanging from the ceiling as best he could. He raised his quarterstaff in a defensive posture as the skeleton swung at him. He tried his best to parry but the sword slipped past his defenses cutting into his leg. Theren winced in pain but immediately swung back at the skeleton. He connected, the blow knocking the enchanted bones against one of the corpses. Does the skeleton get caught up in the corpse?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes. +Event: Adjourn / Ambush

The skeleton raised its sword arm but managed to get it caught in the hook holding the humanoid corpse in place. It struggled to free itself but was having no luck. Theren seized the opportunity coming in with his staff held high with both hands. "Take this!" he yelled as he brought the staff down. The blow knocked the head off and reduced the torso to a pile of bones while the sword arm remained stuck in the hook, twitching feebly.

Theren let out a sigh of relief and then looked at the remains of the skeleton. Is there any treasure on the skeleton?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

Nothing of value was on the creature save for the chain links. It was shackled around both ankles as if it was a prisoner. Theren surveyed the rest of the room and found nothing of value.
Are there any other doors in this room?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

Theren carefully weaved through the corpses hanging over head to the far side of the room where another door was found. He tried the handle but it didn't budge. He looked around for something to pry the door with and settled on one of the hooks hanging from the ceiling.

Luckily the one he selected didn't have a corpse hanging on it. He placed the sharp edge in-between the door handle and the frame and gave it a good pull. Did the door open?

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes.

With a loud snap, the door swung open, knocking Theren to the ground. He lay perfectly still, hoping that his rather foolish stunt didn't attract anything else. Did it?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes.

Bandit.

Theren heard the shuffle of feet from inside the room. He quickly rose to his feet and looked for a place to hide, deciding upon a pile of the corpses in the corner opposite the door. He crouched down as quietly as he could and held his breath as the figure walked into the room. It was a human dressed in simple clothing and holding a small dagger. He entered the room and looked right to the corner where Theren was crouched. "I can see you over there. No sense in hiding. I don't mean you any harm," he said, lowering the dagger.

Does Theren believe the man means him no harm?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No.

Theren rose from his hiding spot with his right hand holding the staff tightly.

"I see you made good work of the skeleton in here," he said, glancing to the pile of the bones on the ground just quickly enough to make sure Theren didn't try anything fancy. "I fought one off but the second one jumped up on me. I locked myself into this room hoping to figure a way out," he explained.

Theren stood fully upright then and moved his staff into a less threatening position. "It gave me a run for the money too," he added taking a cautious step from behind the pile of corpses. "What the hell was going on in this room?" he asked hoping to relieve some of the tension.

Death.

Cheap pick axe.

"I'm not entirely sure, but I was finding signs of a death cult, most likely the Cult of Shared Suffering," he explained. "Look here, the wounds on this body seem to be self-inflicted. And this here, this is clearly the glyph of Ilmater." He gestured to a section on the wall where a crude drawing of a pair of hands, painted in white, were encircled in red.

Is this man hostile towards Theren?

(Very Unlikely | 4[d10]) No.

Theren's curiosity perked up with the mention of Ilmater and the Cult of Shared Suffering. He had read a bit about it just a few weeks ago. Apparently the cult held the view that all mortal beings should help share part of the burden carried by Ilmater, so that they might understand the sacrifice he made. Thus, suffering should be shared with others, and non-believers in particular. They adopted a neutral alignment. Their beliefs were considered heretical by mainstream Ilmatari.

"My name is Caric. Caric Tiadel. I'm a cleric from Waterdeep," he said, putting his dagger away and offering his hand.

"I'm Theren Galendel, also from Waterdeep." Theren walked forward and shook his hand.

Does Caric attack him?

(Almost Impossible | 4[d10]) No. +Event: Abandon / Illusions

"Well met friend," Caric said walking over to the wall. "Do you see the red markings around the hands here? It has to be Ilmater," he said.

"Yes, I believe it is," Theren added, walking over and taking a closer look himself. "I was actually just reading about Ilmater a few tendays ago. I was expecting to see it so up close coming here," he said. "It was my understanding that this cult had all been wiped out though?" he asked. Caric nodded silently to himself and then gestured to the room behind them. "Take a look in here." They both made there way into the next room. It was a fairly large room, 25 by 25 feet. In comparison to the corpse room this one was immaculate. The stone was a smooth and polished black granite and in the center of the back wall stood a raised block, large enough to hold a man. It appeared to be an alter in Theren's best judgement.
I'm enjoying the classic game-play and good job using the tool.

Thanks for sharing.
(08-12-2014, 08:08 AM)Mark Wrote: I'm enjoying the classic game-play and good job using the tool.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Mark. You've done a nice job of working all of the virtual tools into this site. Any chance that there will be a software app to allow for offline play at some point?
(08-12-2014, 10:41 AM)MGrdinic Wrote: Any chance that there will be a software app to allow for offline play at some point?

I don't know the answer to that question at this time. Check out this thread.