40K Black Crusade: Civil War of Calixis
Acastus, not content with the fact that there were as many warbands hunting for the artefact, resolved to learn of at least one of the employers of the competition.

The captured berzerker was held in the ship's brig, with the internal organs of his fallen compatriots replaced with more sturdy shackles. Requisitioning two guards in the brig to interrogate the worshipper of Khorne, the sorcerer appeared before what one could barely call a person. A storm of rage and loud noises, this kind of astartes could hardly be differentiated from Orks. The naked marine was then sedated through means of repeated electrocution and psychic powers. Luckily enough, he became tired enough of screaming praises to his god and threats to the people surrounding him. The prisoner was taken to the interrogation room. The warp-wreathed terminator began the interview.

- Now, I will ask you a question, and you will talk, filth. Who sent you?
- All of you sorcerers look the same.
- Unwise.

Acastus nods to one of the guards, and the latter proceeds to shock the bound berzerker.

- You see, they enjoy it, and you let them, no, force them to do it. Does it please your god to see such a failure of a warrior become a plaything in their hands? Talk!
- Fight me, coward, and I will tell it to your dead body.
- No, you tell me and I let you fight, or else we will hand you over to a Slaaneshi cult.
- Purosha from Velklir wanted something from this ship. Now fight me, coward!
- No, I will tell you when and whom you will fight. Subjugate him.

The berzerker could offer little opposition to the tools of his wardens. Struggling, he fell to the floor. Almost motionless, he was dragged back to his cell. The two humans returned to their primary duties shortly thereafter.
Meanwhile, Jack did not have time to talk with Acastus and Tarves. It was very important to know each of his fellow legionairs motivation to join forces. He remembered that Acastus was searching for something. Considering that the artifact was left for the sorcerer, Acastus had most likely not found what he needed. As the marine came back from the interrogations, Jack opened:

"Your quest, Brother Acastus, we need to talk about it. How we may alleviate it?"

"Monsieur Alpharius, you need not supply your concerns with the matter right now. The best course of actions for us all seems to be what we have already agreed to do, which would be the establishment of a reliable base of operations, and where we are headed is a good place to start with".

"Planning ahead makes one live another millennium. Better to know if interests clash. Anyway, we have plenty of time during this trip." Jack smirked. Acastus seeks something valuable it seems.

"You don't seem to be of the kind who would be interested in what I seek. You can, however, benefit from assisting me".

"That is what interests me. Please, inform me well on this matter." Jack wanted to know more. The sweet words flow did not impress Acastus.

"You see, there is a legend about an artefact of great power" the Son started, unamused by the futile efforts of the Legionnaire, raising the pitch of his voice, "It is said that the true inheritor of Horus, the person who will summon powers so great as to strike the heart of the Imperium down with the blessing of all the Gods, will come to prominence by the act of freeing an ancient possessed sword, set in stone, unique as a prison to many of the kinds of daemons that are known and not. He will shatter it, symbolising the coming of a new era. A new sword will be made and delivered to him by an Eldar farseer". The sorcerer paused briefly before concluding, "And the name of the farseer is Shanka Shattertooth. You should know by now that a sorcerer would not give up what he knows easily, so I will leave the exercise of interpreting this part of the legend to you".

"Your explanations leave me more than happy." A satisfied smirk spread across Jack's own face at the almost undetectable change in the stealth marine's demeanor. "As long as my fists are stained with the blood of rotting corpse's dogs, I will join your quest. Crystal clear it is, brother Acastus, the inheritance will be rightfully yours, but include me, Alpharius, in your called exercises. This is an oath before true gods and you, brother!". “ Jack ended with roaring pledge. He watched the incorporeally possessed suit of armor of Acastus and felt yet again the unease that seemed to trail the followers of Tzeentch.

Though, Jacks charms were futile towards Acastus, it seemed that Jack meant what he said. Breaking an oath to gods is no child's joke.

"Very well, then. Now, as we are traversing to our destination, I think that it would be wise to establish a long-term quartier général. I propose that we take the planet for ourselves, openly or otherwise". Acastus attempted to divert the conversation from its original topic. He saw that he could remake his powerbase that once utilised Zhu'palos, and jumped at the opportunity to turn his newly acquired resources to envelop the planet in his grasp. "We know that the planet is a popular trading point, stimulated by the fact that not long ago it belonged to Necrons, and some of their equipment was captured by the beastmen that inhabit the planet's surface as of now. We will be at a great advantage if we take over the planet, but we should make some informants in the relevant polities and other organisations of the world. What do you say?"

"The facts you pour, brother, shows you know the place." Jack didn't expect such proposition and so many facts. "That  could greatly reduce waste of time and whatnot. Though, sharing all the details is a must for this warband to succeed. Lets move." with a moment of silence, Jack continued "And keep our agreement in secrecy, If you will.

The marines moved to the bridge to talk with Tarves and Makroth. After Acastus repeated his proposition, Makroth answered with a deep and gruff voice.

''I say do it. Spread fear and unrest among the populace all you want. Just make sure I get to slaughter some of the weaklings. I will instruct our more militaristic servants to take some of the slaves and show them how to conduct warfare. If nothing else, they will be quite good meatshields.'' The prospect of commanding a horde of furious beast warriors to assault the fortresses of the Impirium was especially pleasing to him. ''Oh, and if there is going to be a siege, just say the word. The wretches won't stand a chance.''

"No need to waste your great warfare potential, brother Makroth. Surgical heart takeout will leave the body to rule for us. Though, being ready for siege, will be handy" Jack continued.

The agreement was reached. Soon enough, the world will be changed.
The warp spewed out "Murderboat" into Zhu'palos star system. Unexpectedly, the system was overcrowded with various voidships and there were no place to dock.

Little did the marines know, the "Power Games" season had just started, where powerful houses fight for ruling positions across the world. Zhu'palos is a world one of warehouses and trade for rogue traders, so there came a lot of them for spectating and to ensure safety of their properties until games end. 

Elsewhere, in the palace...

Bear Ner'd did not like to be wrong. The term was alien to him, and elicited a feeling of revulsion from deep within his empty body each time it was mentioned. Even the thought of making a mistake made the shaman disgusted with himself and infuriated with others. He was perfection, molded into the likeness of the beast, right hand man to the lord of this world. Flawless beings could never be wrong. Yet, the evidence was here, right before his spectral eyes, barging into the kings throne room. Had he possessed the organs of his old fleshy body, the Summoner's throat would be filling with bile right now.

Bear watched as the giant warlord pushed through the kings court. Bear noted the red and white tabard of clan Zulus draped over the brute. Decades passed and again it happened.

As the beast warrior stood before the king, he threw his axe into the ground before the throne and opened his grizzly jaws, emitting a hatefull growl.

''I, Zulus Frostwhisper, challenges the king for the right of crown!"

Frostwhisper. Bear fought down the urge to split his staff in two. Frostwhisper was the reason why he so hated the word 'wrong'. The man standing before the king was a rival who had almost taken the crown from Arthas when the world first elected their king through trials by combat. If the king had lost the crown, Bear's position as counselor would likely had been forfeit. The temptation to make the guards kill this competitor was a strong one, and it took all the restraint he possessed to not make the order.

Beast king Arthas Dracula, sitting atop his throne, drew back his lips into a fierce sneer. ''If you so wish to die, I will gladly oblige you. Bear, make the arrangements.'' the king ordered his counselor. ''Of course my lord.'' Bear answered as he bowed. He would make sure no harm came to his king, and by exstension, his power.
Jack decided to take a shuttle to planet with some renegades and find out what the fuss was about. It was quite easy to get information. Almost too easy. He immediately came back with the news. He told every detail of the "Power Games" and that there were a lot rogue traders securing the world against possible attacks from other war bands. Nonetheless, there were some good news. Apparently, one could challenge the king to a duel. If one where to best the king, you would become king of the world. Though, one firstly would need to win through tournaments during the "Power Games". Strangely, the last time the king where challenged was several decades ago and the challenger just disappeared, but there are rumors that a warlord from one of the major clans challenged the king Arthas Dracula today. Jack wondered why it was so rare for someone to challenge the king, though not much. He shared the info.

There are many necron monoliths converted into fighting arenas. Power Games consist of 5 major games with recovery weeks in between. During those weeks anybody can resolve other challenges. 3 major games consists of free for all rules and the other 2 are duels. The Power Games end with a fight between the king and the challenger, who won all 5 major games. To fight the king, one must make an official challenge.

Makroth instantly suggested himself to take skulls from the unfortunates and become Kingslayer.
Not long afterwards, the three marines, accompanied by a small retinue of renegades, made another landing with their shuttle. They split, with Jack going to prepare a landing spot for the group's larger craft, and the other two trying to acquire a different spot - one among the challengers.

The two terminators managed to get a more complete set of rules, along with the list of participants in the games. The sorcerer went over the rules regarding combat when he and Makroth were on the way to the arena. Acastus found a confirmation that sorcery was banned in the major games, making him less fit to compete for the title of the king.

As they approached their destination, the pair witnessed another marine registering for the competition. Apparently, no more participants were to be admitted. However, the rules provided a way around that, as they allowed taking a spot by force from a person that already had it, by defeating them in single combat within an arena's boundaries. With a potential donor nearby, the choice of action was simple.

In another part of planet...

Jack went to negotiate for docking place, but even with an extensive wealth he had no luck. Though, Jack found quite the big and high grade accommodations in one of the bigger, repurposed necronic monoliths. While it was situated far from the major city, there where a planetary defense station nearby. However, the security of the place was not so great, but it had many escape paths, such as lifts, stairs and even artificial river for water supply in building. Water did its erosion job during those decades on this building and formed many rocks, shaped like hats. The good thing was, the whole level was accomodated. Accomodations composed of 3 major rooms and a lot of cooridors around it. That was what a sickly looking goat man showed. 

The marine got outside of the monolight and took long strides towards a wooden table where the food was served, occupied by a young goat beast female, barely out of her teens. A long row of bazzar stands offered similar and strange substances. The stink of beastmen excrement and urine wafted from everywhere, threatening to overload the marine's high senses with disgust. ''Filthy beasts, no respect for the body.'' Jack thought and took a fruit from the females stand and went away. He needed to meet with the others. Even though Jack wore full terminator armour, nobody really did show any siggn of fear. Jack liked to blend in crowds. That is how he took that fruit without the beastman noticing. He will eat his simple treasure later.
Back at the registration, Makroth aproached the Angels of Ecstasy and spat out ''Slaaneshi filth like you dosen't deserve to compete in honor battles like these, much less be allowed to live. I challenge you for the right to particapate in this turnament.'' The angel turned around to see who dared challenge him. Garbed in his terminator armour, Makroth towered above him, the Angel only just coming up to Makroth's neck. ''I will feast on your twin hearts as I savour your death screams, brute.'' the angel snarled at him. ''A satisfaction that you will never get, scum.''

The beastmen in the registration office quickly began to make the preparations.
Makroth and the angel, whos name was Mephiram, took their places within the arena. A horn sounded, signaling the start of  the duel. Both of the competitors rushed for cover, and Mephiram took his combat drugs and threw a smoke grenade at his feet. They both started unleashing fire upon eachother, Makroth with his reaper autocannon and Mephiram with his plasma pistols. Both had little effect. Mephiram holstered his pistols, drew his power swords and charged at Makroth. ''Slaanesh take your soul!'' He shouted. He slashed at him, but Makroth's terminator armour was too tough. Makroth immediately responded in kind with his mace, but Mephiram proved too quick and dodged all of Makroth's attacks. Makroth then flew into the air while Mephiram hacked at him with one of his swords, still to little effect. Once Makroth was in the air, Mephiram threw another smoke grenade at his feets and started to fire his pistols again. And just like all the other times, it hardly dented Makroth's plate. Makroth landed and rediead himself. Mephiram charged once again, and slashed at Makroth, and again failed to penetrate Makroth's armour. ''Enough of this.'' Makroth said and smashed the butt end of his power mace against Mephirams head. Mephiram was stunned, but only for a moment.

A moment was all Makroth needed.

''IRON WITHIN!'' Makroth roared as he struck the slaaneshi marine's knees, wracking them both. Mephiram fell on his stomach, and Makroth lifted his mace and said ''Iron without.'' With theese words, Makroth brought down his mace on the angel's back, breaking it and sending a shockwave of electricity through Mephirams body. The duel was over. Makroth had won.

''Pitiful creature. Your skull is not even worth taking.'' Makroth said as he stamped down on Mephiram's head, crushing it. Roars of applause filled the air from the spectator seets.
After witnessing the combat's result, Acastus used his vox to communicate with Makroth, 'Congratulations with securing your place in the event. I trust that you will be able to challenge the king on your own, as I will be away for some time'. He abruptly left the building and headed to the nearest port to try and pry some intelligence on the foes that Makroth will face.

Acastus managed to talk some traders into opening up and uncovering what they themselves knew about the challengers. Rumours, personal accounts, some of the tournament's roster. All of those were more than what the sorcerer counted on initially.

He proceeded with questions regarding Zhu'palos' ruling body. Apparently, the king has been in charge for a lot longer than one would expect, considering that he was dissatisfied with by many of the upper eschelons of the polity under his command, even after becoming the king. Said beastmen were replaced, and the fact that not a lot of them participated was very suspicious. Were they assassinated before they could threaten Arthas in single combat? Probably, which is why such a possibility should be eliminated if the group wanted to take the planet for themselves.

'We might want to gather, I have some news to share', the sorcerer spoke to his allies.
Without any interruptions, Jack wandered around the main city. Interesting place this planet was, though those beasts where the real stink around here. He finally ate his fruit and somehow, it tasted good. "Hmm, That female beast serves good. Might capture her later" A strange kink lingered Jack's grin. 

Anyway, just about time his folks called. Acastus might tell something good. He travelled back to acquired apartments to see what the warband is up to.
The group reassembled. Acastus and Jack summarised their achievements and opportunities. They now had a looming threat that had to be dealt with before the later stages of the competition, lest the planet eluded the Heralds' grasp.