What genre do you want to see next?
I've spent a long time thinking through the possibility of users submitting their own genre lists.

I would not want anyone to be able to make a genre publicly available that is either of poor quality or inappropriate. For a genre there are several lists that need to be created with enough content to keep it random. I know that there are those who can make awesome genre lists but there are those who may think their lists are awesome but just aren't. I would not personally want to be responsible for approving or disapproving someone's work as I don't like hurting people's feeling.

What I started, though, was a system where everyone could make their own, private lists for their genre and then submit the genre for a vote. Then once a certain vote number was reached then that genre would get promoted from pending to public status.

I had already started developing the database and management interface. However, I lost motivation because I wasn't sure people were going to use or even cared about genres. So either I need a good reason to put the required work into the genre management interface or I need to think of another way.
air pirates/deisel punk/crimson skies
Pirate/Musketeer era shenanigans.
Wow! These are some great genres you all are suggesting.

I completed slaad11's updates to the quest button for Medieval Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Zombie Apocalypse.

I couldn't add the Superhero genre because I needed to ask for some clarification.
(04-22-2013, 08:58 PM)Mark Wrote: I would not want anyone to be able to make a genre publicly available that is either of poor quality or inappropriate. For a genre there are several lists that need to be created with enough content to keep it random. I know that there are those who can make awesome genre lists but there are those who may think their lists are awesome but just aren't. I would not personally want to be responsible for approving or disapproving someone's work as I don't like hurting people's feeling.

What I started, though, was a system where everyone could make their own, private lists for their genre and then submit the genre for a vote. Then once a certain vote number was reached then that genre would get promoted from pending to public status.

I had already started developing the database and management interface. However, I lost motivation because I wasn't sure people were going to use or even cared about genres. So either I need a good reason to put the required work into the genre management interface or I need to think of another way.

Not to be a nag, but the poor quality/inappropriate/rejection issue was why I suggested having a 'Custom' list option - we as users can tailor the tool to whatever genre we want rather than fit what get into our favorite. I think the variety of suggestions in such a short period of time (around 10 suggestions in 8 hours?) indicates we'd like some kind of genre management interface, especially one that might make the jump into a public list.

Incidentally, my genre vote would go to Sengoku samurai...
A post apocalyptic setting would be awesome. Though the zombie one is already in place, i'm thinking more fallout like.
My choices for new genres, in order of preference, would be:

1) Pulp (Indiana Jones style, or any of the great ones from the 30's - The Shadow, Doc Savage, Tarzan, Barsoom, etc.)
2) Steampunk
3) Cyberpunk
4) Gamma World
5) Superheroes
1. Cyber Samurai Sorceror (Shadowrun)
2. Space opera (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc)
3. Dystopian near future America (circa 2099)
4. Western Fantasy/Sci-Fi (Dark Tower series, Cowboys vs Aliens)
5. Alternate Earth History/Steam Punk (Weird War 2, Superheroes)
(04-22-2013, 11:11 PM)Mark Wrote: Wow! These are some great genres you all are suggesting.

I completed slaad11's updates to the quest button for Medieval Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Zombie Apocalypse.

I couldn't add the Superhero genre because I needed to ask for some clarification.

Note - some are completed, but I forgot the attachment for items list, and the sci-fi race list still needs to be replaced. I'm sending them shortly in the different format that he needs, and I'll include the missing lists for superheroes so he can add that as well.
Yep, truly great software allows others to create content. I would just write a word list editor, in the beginning give each user the ability to create only one list. Allow it to be be private or published. And see what happens.