Classic Fantasy D&D 5e - Shadow of the Demon (for lack of a better title)
#11
Renchant rounds the corner and the street is empty of Myly. Other commoners are darting away from the guards still. Some guards have taken up position around the prison wagon now and eye Dosaken with concern but seeing the dead bandits, they say nothing.
 
Garivs and Raena catch up with Renchant. They too try to look for him,  but see nothing. Smears of blood on the wall. A few splotches on the ground but then nothing.
 
(Garvis did roll a 20 on his perception but he doesn't have a bonus so...)
 
"He's gone!" Gravis said.
"How did he get free?" Raena asked.
"No!" Renchant curses. "He was our ticket to find out where the lair was!"
 
A dog barks in the now nearly vacant street.
 
Dosaken joined them back at the wagons.
 
Renchant will ask to question Vir. He might know something.
 
Does he know?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Yes, but not exact facts only, some odd details. He's heard of "The Deciders".
 
We'll see what he reveals. Dosaken does intimidate.
 
Rolled a 13.
 
6 = 3[d20]+3
 
Raena has ADV on tracking humans. She'll try that on Myly.
 
Sweet dog... she rolled a 20+5=25 which beats the 21 of Myly!
I'll say that the intimidation of Vir took place on the road.
 
He thinks he knows the general location of where their camp MIGHT be. He's heard conflicting reports.
 
... Back in the street ...
 
"Wait a second. Look... here." Raena sees the boot print in a pile of muck. The same print they'd seen before. And from there, some more blood. Streaks along a door.
 
Where does it take them?
 
Quietly / Rotten
 
"It smells disgusting..." Renchant says.
"Sewers usually do..." Garvis says.
 
The manhole cover was partially put on. An blood smeared the handle.
 
"Why would he go down there..."
"Desperation."
 
"Shall we?"
 
"I'll wait with the horses," Renchant says nearly gagging. He backs away as the other three move down.
Reply
#12
The put their bows away, and Raena, Garvis, and Dosaken follow Myly into the sewers. Raena goes first, her dark vision letting her see dimly in the light.
 
Garvis lights a torch and it hisses into the murky water.
 
Do they see him?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And he sneak attacks them!
 
Are there others fighting with him?
 
I'll say SU since he just ran down. Though he may have contacts in this city, he hasn't had time.
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
okay...
 
Are those that are attacking with him thieves?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
No and there are bodies of dead people in the drink. Gross.
 
Sounds like there's something else... lurking down here.
 
Myly sneak attacks one of them.
 
1 = 2[d4]-1
 
Dosaken reels under the blow but then smashes down with his axe.
 
Does Myly fall in the water?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
He's unc, bleeding, dying, and now drowning in sewer water. Tasty...
 
What else... is down here?
 
Neglect / War
 
Some old broken gear rusted over. And dead thieves. And... something. A monster of some sort... hmmm.
 
ballon, scarab, meteor, mountain, explosion with gears, sun, wave, laser, gold bar.
 
Bug swarm?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Something killed the bugs even... hmmm.
 
Sounds like necromancy to me. Is it?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
So there are dead bodies of thieves, broken swords and shields.
 
They've been here a while these bodies.
 
Does something large and scaly ripple in the water?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but... +Event: Adversity / Pleasures
 
A crocodile is seen. More than one?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
It's going for Myly...
 
Dosaken leaps to grab Myly. Since he still has the info they need.
 
Can he see him in the murky water? DC 16
 
But he cannot see him. He instead attacks the crocodile.
 
Does the croc attack go for Myly
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 4[d10]) No
 
Go for dosaken
 
Dosaken dodges.
Garvis tries to hit it with his great sword and misses.
Raena hits it with an arrow from her bow.
Dosaken downs the croc with a blow from his axe.

They search for Myly's body in the murk as the crocodile rolls belly up.
 
Raena rolled a 15 + 5 = 20 vs the DC 16 and see's him. She rolls a strength 17+2 = 19 to drag him ashore. He's wounded, unconscious, and bleeding out.
 
12 = 12[d20]
 
17 = 17[d20]

They gives Myly a potion of healing to keep him from dying.

 

Does he come conscious?

 

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

 

They bind him and put a sword to his throat.

 

"Tell us who you're with," Dosaken does intimidate but fails.

He laughs and spits in his face. "You'll have to kill me, then" he coughs up sewage water.

 

(Dosaken rolled a 3 + 2 =5

 

"Tie him up," Raena says. "Bring him up. Let's let Renchant question him. He has ways... that amulet you know."

"Oh yes... that."

 

Raena will do a quick look about the corpses to see if there's anything valuable or interesting.

 

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

 

Everything has been picked over these rotting corpses. There's only rusted equipment.

 
They leave.
Reply
#13
Renchant is still there by the horses eating a grapefruit.
 
Did the royal guards take Virs away?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Is there anyone around when they come up out of the sewers?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Guards?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
Curious onlookers see them and back away gagging as the heros drag the muck filled Myly out of the sewers.
 
Dosaken takes him to a drinking troth and gives him a dousing.
 
They bring up more water from a nearby well.
 
Vir and his escort are gone. They'll find an inn in a side of town that wasn't by the fighting.
 
The Singing Tavern has food and drink of questionable value that's overpriced, but the rooms at least are priced well. It's a crowded place. The crowd is a shady-looking lot. Nearly all patrons are armed. There's a fight going on in the center, a fisticuffs, and patrons are taking bets. In innkeep/bartender doesn't give them time of day at first as he's very busy. Dosaken and Garvis stay with Myly outside, giving him a watchful eye, while the others procure rooms.
 
Room are secured. They take Myly up via a back entrance to not attract too much attention. Does anyone notice?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but... +Event: Oppose / Attention
 
But they over hear that the town guard is looking for the killers of the "Flaymboyant Aritisan". (I should give him a name... Corkie sounds good.)
They wrap a cloak over Myly's bound hands and Garvis has a dagger at his back prompting him to move. They avoid onlookers they go through a backdoor and up the stairs to a room.
 
Renchant hears they might be being watched.
 
He'll summon his familiar (10 gp to resummon. He changes its form into a rat and sends it out along the windowsill to watch for guards. Then he changes his cloak inside out (different color).
 
He uses prestigitation to change the color on a surface (surface of his face) to be darker, more tanned. Then he goes down the stairs out the back door and commences negotiations for selling the goods they captured from the bandit raid.
 
Renchant rolled a 20 on his persuade so he sold them for 70% their original price and got 400+ gp which was divided amongst the group.
 
Raena will go scope out the main room of the inn. The two fighters stay with Myly.
 
There's a man who stands out. An oddly-dressed man, with clerical trappings. There's a lot of clerics in this town so what's odd about him?
 
Quarrelsomely / Fancy
 
His clothes are unusually fancy almost ostentatious and he's engaged in an argument of religion with a table of patrons.
 
She'll get a table next to his and try to listen to what he's talking about.
 
Return / A burden
 
It's not so much a doctrinal discussion than that he's trying to convince them of "The Burden's Return".
(what the heck...?)
 
She'll do a history check. Does she know what The Burden is?
 
yes. She rolled an 11 and has +4, being proficient in it.
 
What is The Burden?
 
We'll use the MAG.
 
(bones of an animal, fishook, hammer and pick, white man with two shadows, radar, thorn circlet, puzzle box, ominous eye watching a person, lions head)
 
It was a period of a hundred years in the past when there were two suns. It is generally accepted as true, but some skeptics say it must've been concocted. The second sun didn't last forever of course, but the animals died. Fish fled below the depths of the see. The land baked in the extra head of this second sun. People cast two shadows. Thorns grew and multiplied instead of food. All were puzzled and searched for answers as to what it could mean. Was the eye of the gods upon them, punishing them? Temples were built to the gods as they sought answers. But eventually the sun disappeared. 


How it happened and what caused it has been a matter of intense religious and historical discussion and speculation. But ancient documents corroborate that The Burden did indeed exist.
 
"I have seen it in visions," the man says with a flamboyant gesture, his rich clothing in dark hues and gold embroidery.
 
Do they believe?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
"When will it come."
"I don't know. Only that it will. We must all return for The Burden will come."
 
"Tell us, what shall we do to prepare?"
 
"Come to services tomorrow... I will share all I know."
 
Raena eats, brings up food for the others and returns to the room.
 
Renchant finally gets back with the proceeds of his sale. Everyone is much gratified.
 
They get down to the business of interrogating Myly. Strips of cloth are stuffed into his mouth, gagging him. Renchant pours some honey on Mylys arms. Talks about how rats will keep eating the flesh even after it's gone. He streaks some on Myly's face. And then sets his rat familiar to licking the honey.
 
At the same time, he'll use the amulet on Myly.
 
"When he's getting close to chewing you'll feel very itchy," Renchant says and Myly starts trying to scratch himself as itching covers his whole body. He's tied up and squirms about.
 
"Tell us! And I'll take the rat off."
Does he talk?
 
We'll give Renchant ADV on his Intimidation check.
 
It'll be a contest against Myly's Wis save.
 
Myly rolled a 20 + 5 = 25 ... Drat. I don't think Renchant can beat that even if he rolled a 20.
 
Myly nods his head, tears coming out of his eyes.
They remove the gag. "You'll never get me to talk!"
He starts screaming for "Guards Help!" before Doskaen clubs him over the head.
"The little sneak," Renchant says.
"Let me at him. We can start with his fingers, then his toes. Cut them off one at a time. He'll talk." - Dosaken
Raena gives him a disgusted look. "I don't think Just cut his throat and be done with him before he brings bout the the death of some other person."
 
Did anyone hear him say "Guards!"
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
They listen nervously at the door, but no alarm is raised.
 
They gag him again and wait for him to regain consciousness. After about 10 minutes he comes too.
"Okay, you little runt," Dosakean says grabbing him and smashing in his nose till blood runs down. He pulls out a dagger and puts it to the man's nose letting the blood drip onto it. He shows it dripping off the keen edge and then slams the blade between the man's fingers on the table. "The next one will be on your pinky finger. Tell us what we want to know."
 
He grabs one of the fingers and snaps it. Tears leak from the man's eyes. 
I'll give D adv on intimidate using his strength bonus. vs wis save.
 
M gets a 10 total. D gets an 11. This time truth is in his eyes. "I'll talk."
"Everything. If I even think something is getting left out, the pinky goes."
 
He tells them about the location of the bandit lair.
 
Are there more than one bandit camp?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Are they all above ground?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
Are they all below ground?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
The main bandit camp is in a hidden cave behind a waterfall.
 
There are lookout positions that are always manned.
 
Is there another way out besides the main entrance?
 
(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes +Event: Antagonise / Military
 
Yes, it's especially hidden. Scouts from the Strathmore have scoured the area and could not find it so especially was it hidden.
 
Does Thena know more than just illusion magic?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Is she the real leader?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
What code words, passwords do they use?
 
Usurp / Leadership
 
They all have to do with taking over the realm, things like "Conquest, Tyrant, Overcome, Overthrow" etc.
 
Does he tell them the cipher for coded messages?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
Does he tell them where any traps are?
 
(Unlikely | 5[d10]) No
 
Where did they take the girl. To the underground lair?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
His deception total is 22 vs Renchant's insight of 13. He left some things out but they can't tell.
Reply
#14
In the morning, they club him over the head. Tie him up. Leave a note for the town guard telling him who he is and what crimes he's committed in Strathmore. They leave and check out.
 
Are the town guards still interested in finding them for killing Corkie?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
They party does some purchasing of goods. Mainly healing potions.
 
Renchant tries to find out someone who practices magic (Investigate DC 12). He got an 18 total.
 
He finds someone. Is it a wizard?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
Sorcerer?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
Must be a warlock then.
 
Does he have any spell scrolls he's willing to sell?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 5[d10]) No
 
Okay. They'll leave and head back north to Strathmore.
 
Any interesting event along the 6 day journey back?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but...
 
Just a rainstorm that made everything wet and miserable.
 
They arrive at Strathmore. Anything new there?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 5[d10]) No
 
Things are pretty much the same.
 
They met with Krellia in closed doors and explain what they found out from Myly about the different bandit camps. Their locations on a rough map and the main lair.
 
Krellia decides that the garrison will help.
 
How far away is the nearest town to the north?
 
More than a week?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
It's a two week journey to the next town to the north and they won't be of much help with the washed out bridge from the storm.
 
They'll hit all the above camps simultaneously, but the heroes will handle the main underground lair and to find and either capture or destroy Thenas. Preferably capture.
 
That's the plan, but it depends on some things that would have asked Myly.
 
Are their more bandits than soldiers in Strathmore?
 
(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
"That might not work... we'll need to hit them maybe two at a time and then rejoin for the final lair," Renchant says.
 
Are there more than two above ground?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
One has only started to being settled. The other has defenses etc.
 
So they'll divide for the first assault above ground. Heroes will hit the highly defended one. The Strathmore forces will hit the fledgling one and then will come to help.
 
Strathmore will give the heroes 4 soldiers for their assault.
Reply
#15
Does the party encounter anything on the way to the bandits?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
In the distance across a valley of rugged terrain, they see what looks like a dark cave in the side of a hill face. A stone pillar glints in the sunlight.
 
(This is in the forest actually)
 
That's a point of interest to look into later.
 
How long does it take to reach the bandit camp in days from Strathmore?
 
5 = 5[d8]
 
(Five days. 3 days north. Then two days through hills and wooded terrain.)
 
They'll attack at dusk. Is there a moon tonight?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
Is it cloudy?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
It's threatening rain. It's going to be DARK under the forest canopy once it gets dark. It's already hard to see.
 
It's dark and they can barely make out the shadows of two bandit sentries leaning against posts of abridge. In a matter of seconds, a volley of arrows takes them out and the fall.
 
Without a cry?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 2[d10]) No +Event: Fight / Danger
 
They cry out with the intial shots that hit them, alerting the camp to danger!
 
The battle is joined. A volley of shots is exchanged across the river. Renchant drops some with his Ray of frost. The others Bs are dispatched with a combination of crossbow, bow fire, Renchant.
 
Mastifs and two Lietenants race across the bridge but are met with a wall of crossbow fire. The Strathmore guards drop bows and raise shields and swords to engage the LTs. Dosaken races from the left to the right and uses his axe to good effect Criticallying one of the Lts and dropping him. Reana shoots her bows with deadly accuracy dropping some Bs herself. They rush up and surround the two remaining bandits and soon it's all over.
 
Two Strathmore guards survived. The other two are wounded, one heavily.
 
As night sets in they setup camp in the vanguished bandit camp and loot the bodies and setup sentries.
 
Does anything happen to them during the night in camp?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Do they receive word about the other above camp raid?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Was it successful? (likely I'll say) But no, means some will have fled to the main camp to alert them of our coming.
 
(Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but... +Event: Break / Possessions
 
The Strathmore guards broke their bows. So any that help from that engagement will only be able to use their hand weapons.
 
Does our group get any reinforcements from the other assault?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No +Event: Adversity / Tension
Reply
#16
Captain Zar of the Strathmore military forces fears that there would be more danger if they split their forces further. He's keeping his men watching the rear entrance.
 
What about the two guards who were knocked UNC in our attack. Did we get to them to save them in time?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
No. They both died.
 
Captain Zar will send in one squad to assault from the rear entrance, that should draw some pressure from our assault in the main entrance.
 
So...the Bs don't know we're coming yet.
 
We'll assault the main entrance in daylight because the longer we wait, the longer they'll discover that something is amiss.
 
Do they have bandits guarding their main entrance?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Does the bandit 2 who ran back come back with reinforcements?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
What type?
 
Intensely / Lacking
 
Not a lot. We'll say 1d6 bandits.
 
1 = 1[d6]
 
Were the bandits carrying any gold?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Do they have time for a short rest?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Is something coming up the tunnel now?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...
 
No but shortly. They maybe have a couple of minutes before reinforcements come out.
 
They hear shouts and know others are coming. They'll quickly hide and try and ambush whomever is coming out.
 
More bandits?
 
(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And what?
 
More than usual?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Okay. I get the idea. Is Thenas with them?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No +Event: Develop / Plans
 
No... She's inside doing... something.
 
Thug at front?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
Do anymore come out?
 
(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No
 
Do they hear sounds of fighting prompting them to move on (from the other squad)?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
What is Thenas doing inside?
 
Stop / Vehicle
 
I think this means she's trying to come up with a way of stopping the intruders and / or preparing some means of her own escape.
 
I'll ask how she's preparing to escape later.
 
Same with how her plan to stopping the intruders comes about. That way it'll be more of a surprise. Maybe...
 
What's in the entry way?
 
Aggressively / Strong
 
Antagonise / Anger
 
Something aggressively strong and angry.
 
Is it an animal?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
A bear?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
A bandit is nearby and when he sees the heroes enter he opens the cage and it lumbers out. The bandit then moves to run the other direction. That's at least what will happen if the bandit wins initiative.
 
So there's a wooden cage with a rusty lock on the door.
 
Bones of small animals like inside the cage. Blood is on the floor of the cage and a mammoth shape heaves against the bars when the heroes approach.
 
Reyna shoots him before he can release the bear. Two arrows jut out of the bandit's back and it collapses trying to unlatch the cage.
 
But the bear is mad and the lock is rusty. It tries to break free.
 
DC strength 18 to halfway break it. Next round DC 10 to break all the way through it.
 
It slams into the door and roars. But the lock holds (it got a 11 total)
 
Reyna approaches and tries to calm the bear down by tossing in some rations through the bar.
Animal Handling...
 
No that won't work. It's not a domesticated animal.
 
She tosses in the rations. Does it want them?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Only for a moment it will be distracted. Reyna motions them to pass it.
 
Do they all pass the cage while it's distracted?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No
 
They move past, Reyna leading the way. Renchant is in the rear casting nervous glances over his shoulder when the animal finally looks up from his meal and thinks Renchant would make a tasty morsel. It slams into the door.
 
It smashes into the door and the lock starts to give way. "Run!" Renchant yells and he hikes up his robes and runs down the passage way with the others.
 
They dart through the small doorway... small enough that the bear would have to go around to get at them. Torches line the walls. What is this room for?
 
Carelessness / Expectations
 
There's a small table with a map carelessly on the table with some plans (expectations). There's a keg of ale and some dirty dishes with flies buzzing in them.
 
Is anyone in this room?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And it's Theyna... and some others probably?
 
(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Oppress / Ambush
 
It's an ambush for the characters.
 
Is the others squad also there that attacked from the other side?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Yes, but they're wounded and hard pressed.
 
How many are there?
 
Left...?
 
1 = 1[d6]
 
Just one... Great. I'll say he's at half hits.
 
Bandits and other guards lay slain on the floor and in the passageway.
 
Is Theyna a higher level than the heroes?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...
 
She's a level 2 Wizard / Illusionist.
 
But what... what's her advantage?
 
Foolishly / Dark
 
Is that magical darkness?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And she casts it the minute she sees the heroes.
 
And then the bear...
 
And right before the darkness she utters arcane word and acid bursts upon two of them.
 
Reyna and Dosaken are hit (failed Ref save)
Renchant keeps his head and casts light dispelling the magical darkness.
 
"The bear he says! It's nearly loose!"
 
Fighting rages around them. Two bandits close in. Then a large roar is heard and the bear is loose. It lumbers down the passage way.
 
One hand rakes through the doorway, but it can't reach the heroes.
 
*claw
 
The bear circles around and sees Thena and the melee with bandits back to it. Does it go for Thena (1-3) or bandits (4-6)
 
6 = 6[d6]
 
The bear bites and claws the bandit captain. Bandits fall in the battle. Thena, the bandit illusionist flees.

Dosaken finishes off the captain with a cleave to the head. It bounces on the floor. Yum...
 
Is the bear still angry and want to fight?
 
(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes
 
Reyna will try to use Animal Handling to calm it down. DC 20 we'll say.
 
Does the fire from burning hands scare the bear off?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
Is there anything valuable in the room?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Gems?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
Gold statuettes that they stole from the home of the family they murdured.
 
They grab the map and the statues and chase after Thenas. (She cast illusion taking on the guise of one of the guards as she rushes out but the party doesn't know that)
Reply
#17
Does she get past the guards guarding the exit?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes +Event: Arrive / The public
 
Public wouldn't be out here in the forest. Ignore that. Does she convince them that there is a threat chasing her (the bear)? They would have heard the roars.
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
"Pull back! He orders. Back to the horses. Where's Hanstock?"
"Dead," she says, coughing and wiping her mouth.
 
"The other group?"
"Dead as well. The bear..."
 
"Very well. Saddle up."
 
She saddles up with the rest. And that's about when the party exits the underground lair.
 
"Did a woman come up here?"
 
She's edging her horse away, ready to gallop.
"No."
"She might have a secret passage way we missed."
"Remember she disguised herself somehow to murder that family."
 
Renchant starts studying the soldiers. She edges her horse away into the woods and gallops away.
 
"That's her!"
"That's Vortin."
"No it's not captain. She's running!"
 
Reyna will try to shoot the horse.
 
It runs through the trees for three rounds getting steadily away. It's about 450 feet distant. That's one heck of a shot. She shoots with Dis but still nails it all three rounds and eventually drops it.
 
Thenas tries to lose her pursuers. She's canny and rolls a 20 on her Stealth to get away. Total of 22.
Reyna is tracking her and rolls as Survival of 17 + 5 = 22. A tie. She hasn't gotten away yet, but she hasn't been found either.
 
"Her tracks lead here... but then they disappear"
 
She moves upstream. The tracks are gone.
 
Maybe... a ruse.
 
Redo contest.
 
Is she close?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
Her tracks lead that way...
 
But she's far away.
 
Reyna will try to hit her again with DIS.
 
She'll get three more shots and then they'll have to track her again.
 
On her third shot she wounds her. But now she's tracking again.
 
I'll say if she fails her tracking that Thenas gets to a horse she has tied away for this purpose.
 
Well, the blood allows them to follow her. Does Thenas make it to the horse before they catch her?
 
2 = +0 +1 +0 +1 0
 
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And she gallops away. But she's still in sight. She's on a trail heading out of the forest. The heroes don't have horses though. They ask Captain to borrow them. Does he agree?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
They take four horses and chase after her.
 
What does the captain do?
 
Fight / Portals
 
He wants to figure out what's inside the cavern and so he leads his squad inside and they take out the bear and pull out the bodies etc.
 
Garvis outdistances the others and closes on her. He's going to try and tackle her from her horse.
 
Garvis succeeds and leaps from his horse tacking her and pulling her prone.
 
They both roll to the ground. She leaps up... and... combat.
 
She pulls out a knife and slashes... who has init?
 
He knocks it from her hand and puts his other scimitar up to her neck. "Make my day..."
 
Does she back down and go quietly?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Her illusion is dropped and her face holds the half acid ruined face, some teeth visible. 
"I'll kill you for this," she spits as the others ride up.
"You'll find that hard to do when you hang for murder," he slaps her hard causing tears. "Tie and gag her. We don't want any more spell casting."
 
1 = -1 +1 +1 +0 0
 
They take her back for questioning.
 
They strip her of weapons and anything valuable.
 
Are the gold statues worth > 100 gp each?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
More than 200 each?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
More than 400 each?
 
(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No +Event: Activity / Dispute
 
Approx 300 gp each.
 
They decide to keep the statues and split the money.

Further exploration of the bandit lair reveals a cage where the sole surviving daughter of the slaughtered Oromer famliy, Yeva Oromer, was being held captive. (They find evidence that the bandits were planning on selling her as a slave down south).
 
They bring her back, and thus ends the second adventure (and they all lvl up to lvl 3).
Reply
#18
And Thus Begins Adventure 3


(rpgsolo froze up and the stuff I'd rolled up from the GM emulator didn't save... 

The short of it is this: Refugees from Knife's Edge have made the long journey north. Many are swelling up the available inns in Strathmore and other nearby towns and villages. Other refugees not from the south are threatening to swamp the town from the east as the first of them has brought word of a large winged creature or monster that was ravaging some farms. Some farmers slain, others have fled to Strathmore. The mayor is paying the group 200 GP total + a random collection of additional funds to deal with the creature. The party agreed to help. Garvis out of kindness. Raena out of duty to the realm. Renchant and Dosaken reluctantly out of a desire for the added funds and because the food and boarding prices were doubling and then tripling due to the swell of people.)

The party has headed two days north east to the closest of the farms attacked and are scouting tracks. The rain has turned to a cold sleet as the ravaged remains of the farmhouse lies scattered about the muddy rolling hills and grassy terrain. Far to the east, behind the murky gray rain clouds lie the Eastern Marches. Reports have trickled in that the beast has flown somewhere in that direction and may have a lair there.

And now, we resume.

Raena finds some tracks that aren't washed out by the rain and studies them.

The tracks are from a large creature. She'll roll a nature DC 10 to find out more about the creature.

Both Renchant and Raena roll 19s and get 22 and 21 on nature respectively.

It's a flying creature.

Does it have claws.

(Very Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

Horns? Maybe from some scratch marks of it rooting about in the rubble for food?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

Small horns.

Scorch marks?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

tail spike?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

What's with all the "buts"?

Quarrelsomely / Odd

Raena straightens and frowns. "I don't know. It's large, has small horns from the scoring there. A tails spike that dragged through the earth.

"An impressive wingspan to be sure," Renchant muses. "Could be a manticore, or a chimera, even a dragon."

"How pleasant," Raena says.

Do they find any corpses?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes

Raena and Renchant will study them.

How did they die?

Claw?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

Bite and...? Anything else?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

A corpse is missing it's torso and higher so its hard to say if anything else was involved.

What time of day is it?

15 = 15[d24]

3 pm.

Is there any part of the farmhouse or cellar or barn or outbuildings that are intact?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yes, but...

The barn is intact but half of it looks like it took a hit from a catapult.

Any animals alive in the barn?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No

Raena rolls a 15 on her perception scouting around the ruins of the farmhouse. Do they find any valuables or anything of interest?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes

What do they find?

Kill / Power

Weapons?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

If it's not a melee weapon, is it something magical?

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No

Oooo.... I know. Kill Power = Assassins tools. They find a disguise kit, some poisons and powders. What has been going on down her in this farm house I wonder. Very interesting... Smile

Renchant puts it in his pack.

Renchant rolls a 20 on his investigation. He finds a painting of the family and finds out who has been using this.

which child or adult.

I'll say it's one of the children. An older child in mid twenties. Female?

(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

A beautiful and buxom blond woman, a farmers daughter. Was she married as well?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

No but a journal mentions something about an engagement to a man named... Vir?

(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes +Event: Attach / Balance

Buwhaha! It makes sense. Vir the assassin had been here. This had been one of his bases and the buxom beauty was obviously a lover of some sort.

4 = 4[d4]

There are four more uses in the poison. Renchant takes them.

Does the night pass uneventfully?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

1d20 for weather, 1 or 2 or 19 or 20 are extremes.

2 = 2[d20]

I'm going to say the sleet turns to snow and all night long it drifts down in deep heavy downy flakes.
Reply
#19
Tracking down a flying creature is not going to be easy. It's at least two weeks by foot to get to the foot hills of the eastern marches. Snow fell all night long and some drifts go up over knee. It's slow going. They'll keep heading east down the road towards the next farm.

Is the next farm east ravaged as well?

(Somewhat Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...

But what survivors?

(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...

They do find some animals... Any stray horses?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes +Event: Adjourn / Intrigues

Enough for the entire party?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes

Handy dandy. DC 15 animal handling to bring all of them to bear. Both Garvis and Raena are skilled. I'll roll once with Adv.

Good thing she got Adv... total was 22 with it. They round up four horses.

Saddles and tack available too?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

Hmmm.... They must've ran free when a barn was half ripped down.

Are the saddles and tack in the damaged barn?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes

Do they find anything else of value investigating this next barn?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...

Anything of value has already been looted by someone else.

Dead bodies?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

They spend the rest of the day burying them.

(They already had 2 horses among them, so they'll have 4 horses for riding now and 2 spares).

4 draft horses and 2 riding horses.

They need to go 9.5 days walking. For simplicity, I'll say that is halved while riding the horses.

Does it snow all day long?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

About the time they find the horses and round them up the sun has peaked out behind the clouds.

Is the farmhouse intact?

(Very Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...

It's in shambles as well. They'll camp.

---

Day 3. Weather roll.

13 = 13[d20]

It stays sunny all the next day and warms up some that it starts to melt.

Anything of note happen on day 3?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Move towards goal

Decrease

Enemies

But there aren't any more farm houses along this route. The road changes to a wide trail that steadily narrows as they draw nearer to the Eastern Reaches.

And I'll say that means no encounter with any enemies, but they do pick up tracks (move towards goal) of where the creature landed to spit up some vomit covered bones. Yum...

Day 3 night no encounter. Weather roll for night and next day.

8 = 8[d20]

---

Day 4. It grows somewhat colder as they draw nearer to the foothills, but it's still sunny all day.

---

Day 5 (would be 7.5 if walking)

I'll say two more days on horseback before we reach the foothills. I'll say this far out it's unlikely they'll be meeting other travelers.

I'll say on a 19 or 20, they might have an encounter.

4 = 4[d20]

16 = 16[d20]

Weather for the last two days:

9 = 9[d20]

Stays cold and partially cloudy as they reach the food hills on Day 7. They each mark off 6 more rations. 

They had 8 left after leaving the second farm house, leaving them with 2 apiece. Hmmm. Not quite enough for the return journey. Might have to tighten their belts!

What is the terrain like?

Quaintly / Remarkable

Remarkable in it's height and rugged beauty. Sheer cliffs, pine trees, jagged boulders as they climb higher.

Do they catch a glimpse of the creature?

(50/50 | 2[d10]) No

They'll look for tracks.

Raena got a 20 on her active perception.

Does she see any nearby tracks?

(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

She sees some signs of where a large creature had rubbed against a rock. Ah hah.

Any scales or fur or skin that was rubbed off too?

(Likely | 5[d10]) Yesbut...

Yes, but it was a while ago and has been covered by snow and ice.

Still it feels like they're in the general area. Any visible lair, or cave, or large nest?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

It's getting late in the day. They'll make camp.

Raena finds a protected place to make camp, nestled among some snow covered bolders and fallen trees.

Got a 19 total on her survival.

Weather check tonight... Since they're in the mountains, if it's above 10, I'll add +3, if it's below ten I'll subtract 3.

2 = 2[d20]

Ooo... really bad weather then. 2-3 = -1. I'll say a severe blizzard with freezing winds hits the camp!

I'll roll another survival for Raena to see how well her make-shift leantos held up under the driving snow and wind.

She rolled a 1... not good. +5 = 6 total. 

I'll say in the middle of the night, the storm causes a huge dead branch to fall on the lean to smashing it.

Does anyone take damage?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

No, but they're cold and fatigued and... did any horses run away in the tree fall / blizzard?

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No

Everyone needs to make a CON save DC 20 or get a level of exhaustion.

Raena 22 total; Renchant 9 total; Dosaken 19 total; Garvis 19 total. They're feeling the strain except Raena. (Level 1 exhaustion Ability checks are at disad. until they can spend a long rest in a warm dry place).

During the blizzard did any baddies attack them?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No

Not likely in a blizzard.

---

It it still snowing in the morning?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

No but the icy wind cuts right through them, blowing snow like daggers of ice into their eyes.

"This isn't worth the money, I don't care what anyone says!" Renchant shouts into the wind as they saddle their horses and take down camp.

They eat a cold meal of dried jerky and hard cold biscuits washing it down with water melted over a meager fire that offers no heat.

Shivering, wet, and cold they huddle down into their frost covered cloaks and set out.

They wind up small switch backs, searching for a lair or for the beast itself.

Raena rolls a natural 20! + 5 on perception = 25. I rule that she spots the lair whatever it is.

Wind and snow blowing into her face, she shields her eyes against the stark lighting and sees the lair. What is it like?

Gently / Damaged

Sounds like there's a large ruined half-collapsed keep that used to be built into the side of the cliff and in that keep she spots movement of something large prowling about. Half of the keep is collapsed down the side of a cliff.

Is the trail collapsed as well that leads to it it?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

They only way up is to either 1) fly up 2) Climb up a sheer cliff 3) Find some other way around the top of the mountain and come down at it from above the keep.

Going around will take three days more of travel but they're low on food. Climbing up is straight-forward but they're tired. Flight is not possible without magic or a flying beast... but most of those are trying to munch the party anyway.
Reply
#20
They decide to go around the longer but safer way and will trust that Garvis and Raena will be able to forage food for them in the wild.

This will require a survival check to find an alternate way around over rugged terrain cross country. They won't be able to use their horses.
DC 15, then DC 12, then DC 10. Any failure or success difference is added to the next roll. Any failure will make the trip one day longer. Three failures will result in the team getting lost in the mountains.

Garvis tries to help, but he ends up shivering in his coat huddled against the freezing wind. Raena isn't affected by the exhaustion yet.

She takes the lead and rolls a 1 + 6 = 7 (difference from 15 is 8). So the second roll is DC 20.

Day 1 getting around the peak, they veer off course, go up a wrong game trail, get lost temporarily in the snow and basically waste a day of food.

That night she'll make a survival to find a place to camp.

She rolls another 1... 1 + 5 = 6. She can't find a sheltered place. They camp out on a shelf of rock that's exposed to the cold and harsh winds. Everyone makes a CON check DC 12 or take another level of exhaustion.

Raena succeeds her CON and is still unaffected by the cold. All the others are at disadvantage from previous exhaustion. The group tries to huddle together for warmth. Fires they try to start fail miserably as the sheer winds snuff out any attempts. They eat the last of their rations and awake numb to the core.

"We need to find shelter. Some place to get warm and dry," Garvis says his teeth chattering.
"She led us on this fools errand tramping through snow," Renchant says brushing frost from his beard. "And we're out of food. If you can call this food, he says looking at he last piece of jerky."

The inter-party sniping continues and they eventually move on.
Day 2 attempting to get around the peak. They go back down to lower elevation. This is the DC 20 survival roll.

Failed again by 8.

That was to find a way around the peak. This next one is to find some food.

I'll say DC 15 due to snow and location.

4 + 5 = 9 

No food.

They have a decision to make turn back and go back down the valley or press on.

They're cold, tired, and hungry. Is this when they hear the wolves?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

That's what I thought. (Yes, I've been playing The Long Dark. Bwuahha!)

It's mid-day. They're travelling down a snowy slope, studded with pine trees when they hear the bone-chilling sound of wolf howls.

I'll roll weather check. I was doing stupid stuff before. It's winter season and they're high up. I'l roll a 1d100. I'll say there's a 30% chance the weather changes for better or worse.

So 30 or under.

14 = 14[d100]

It does change.

Warmer?

(50/50 | 1[d10]) Noand...

Ah hah! It IS The Long Dark! You will all die in the grasps of the chilling snows!

"We have to stand and fight!" Dosaken mutters, breathing hard. "We can't outrun them. We don't even know where we're running to!"

Is it a winter wolf?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut...

A pack of wolfs lead by a large alpha (dire wolf)

I'll do 8 smaller wolves and 1 alpha for a supposedly "medium" encounter. Honestly through this could spell doom for my party. Due to the cold and exhaustion, their movement is cut in half and they roll disadvantage on all ability checks. Raena is the only one not exhausted at all yet.

The larger wolf stops and howls as the smaller wolves rush past him anxious for the kill.

[Image: NO8dOzkNg1l9er4h5NxWsD4MgQ2xJStfyzgvlJsD...0Dv4=w2400]

I'll say Garvis is in the rear (closest to the wolves) with his heavier armor (chainmail). Renchant is in the middle. Dosaken and Raena were attempting to pathfind ahead.

I'll say the party has one round to form some sort of battle line before the wolves appear on the map.

The winds pick up biting into them as snow flurries all about them. Blinking against the cold and ice, they turn to face the wolves.

Garvis falls back and pulls out his bow.

Renchant falls back and casts mage armor.

Dosaken moves up behind Garvis and pulls out his crossbow.

Raena runs to the left and scales a small ridge to get a height advantage should it come to melee.

[Image: XCfDSKdYDvZyZMKAZjIKWVoabIKjFao6363olNPO...WfRU=w2400]

The wolves swarm towards them. Raena fires at the closest and misses. Garis leaps away from snapping wolves loads and shoots an arrow. He curses realizing the wolves moved much faster than he had anticipated and he could have just hung onto his melee weapons.

He fires and wounds the closest wolf.

Renchant sees an opportunity and moves PAST Dosaken to the front and a cone of flame erupts from his hands singing hair as it catches four of the wolves.

[Image: OVeTZ5zQx9xeg0ep48bg-bNFNqczIYw1BuZLLPOK...eGko=w2400]

One wolves flames up, the others leap back snarling and yapping from the pain.

[Image: juEx2Cz2F9WpnIgiXSWP67IAgoPyckhb44D939al...lc3M=w2400]

The alpha then joins the fray.

Dosaken sees it coming and drops his bow, yanks off his battleaxe, and snarling himself meets the beast with a rage of his own (Rage).

The wound is deep as the axe slams into the beast's back, spraying crimson onto the white snow.

(He got max damage on his roll-- gavea total of 17 damage! Nice!)

The wolves snarl back swarming Renchant and he goes down in the snow in a pile of churning fur and blood. (dying)

Raena kneels, pulls, and fires and a bolt slams into the alpha's side. (hunters mark)

Garvis drops his bow and pulls out both scimitars and leaps into the fray, hacking and slashing to get to the bleeding and dying Renchant.

The alpha leaps into Doskan biting his forearm, making it so Dosaken can't attack him (D missed his attack after soaking damage from the alpha)

The wolves swarm past the fallen Renchant and onto Dosaken and Garvis, biting and ripping.

Raena slams another bolt with expert skill into the heart of the Alpha just as it was going for the kill, felling it.

Are the wolves disheartened by the loss of their alpha?

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No

Darn... Not looking good for my guys. They have this pack ability where if another wolf is within 5' of them they get advantage on their attacks. Painful...

Garvis leaps over to Renchant's body, twin scimitars blurring as he fells one of the wolves.

Rechant's blood seeps into the snow.

Dosaken fells another wolf

Snarling wolves continue to attack.

Dosaken is now bleeding from multiple wounds (He's taken over 1/3 hits. It's a darn good thing he ranged and could soak up the dmg)

One leaps onto Doskan's back, biting into the back of his neck.

(he took 2 crits from two diff wolves ow ow ow.)

Garvis gets bit and Raena sends an arrow through its neck dropping it.

(she criticaled)

Garvis doesn't attack, but pulls out a healing potion and gives it to the dying Renchant.

The blood coagulates then seals and the skin begin to turn a raw red instead of a bleeding mass.

Renchant coughing up snow and blood, still on his back, sends bolts of energy into the nearest wolf (magic missile) then staggers to his feet.

The magical bolts puncture the creature, nearly killing it, knocking it off of Dosaken.

It turns and leaps toward Renchant who fends it off with his staff, Dosaken misses, but Garvis moves in to drop it. Renchant sends more bolts of mystical energy into another wolf and they burst out its other side, the wolf drops in a heap.

Dosaken takes off the final wolf's head.

They stand there for a moment staggering in the freezing snow as steaming bodies are all around them.

"Looks like we found some food," Dosaken says.

"We can follow their tracks back to their den," Raena says and seek shelter from this storm.
"About time..." Renchant says shivering.

Their clothes are battered and torn from the ravages of the wolf attack.

"Gather up the Alpha and follow me," she says and leads the way back up the snowy slope.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)