Classic Fantasy D&D 5e - Shadow of the Demon (for lack of a better title)
#21
I'll say Raena gets advantage on survival DC 12 to find the wolf den.

She rolled a 7 with her advantage with her +5 survival = 12. Just in time....

Following the tracks, head bowed against the blowing snow she leads them to the wolve's den.

What is it made out of? I'll use the mag.

(comb, large tree, space ship, dragon, quicksand, target, broken heart, ice, alchemist vial)

The ice could be an ice block or a stone block. I'll say it's an ancient half collapsed building made of stone blocks covered in ice and snow.

Is it a big building?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes

Is it part of the keep and cuts through the moutain. Have they found the "other side"? Sounds awesome. I'll say likely.

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

The wolves were using part of it for their shelter, but really, any number of denizens could be in there. They peer through shattered windows like gaping black eyes of a skull staring back.

Are there other tracks of other animals. If so Raena now sees them (she rolled high on perception).

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No

There aren't any immediate tracks. That's good for them as they can likely get some much needed rest.

Twin towers stand like sentinels and guard a room. Renchant chants and light shines from the tip of his ivory staff. "This will do," he says as they see a lot of ruined furniture they can use for a fire.

The room leads back to a half-broken door.

"How old is this place?"

It's old enough to be ancient stone. Does it predate the kingdoms of Crawean (their current kingdom) and the Kadolan Empire (kingdom to the east and traditional enemies of Crawean)?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

"Older than you, Raena" Renchant says with a cough. "Look at the architecture. This is old Kadolan, probably during the Crawean war of independence."

She nods, "Yes, I see that now. The motifs in the stone work are most illuminating."

"Indeed..."

"Enough of the history lesson," Dosaken drops the Alpha down with a heave and then sags down with it, breathing hard. "Dinner first."

"Dinner is a good idea," Garvis says. "I'll start a fire."

They settle in for a long rest.
Reply
#22
Does anyone disturb them as they cook up a meal of wolf meat and the like?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

Oh hohohh! What's this?

And... and...? Is it the beast?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes

Duh dun duhn!

Well that's not good. They're all hurt and exhausted.

I'll say they at least got a short rest in.

Does it attack?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut... +Event: Oppress / Illusions

Interesting... but it dispels any illusions that this place might be safe.

Did it come through the tunnel / mountain? Unlikely it would prob fit in those passages...

(Unlikely | 5[d10]) No

No. Over the top. It must've been hunting them or the wolves or maybe it smelled the cooking meat.

Does it just fly by?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

They hear the flapping of wings.

Is it night time?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes

They don't get a good look at it unless it's super close 60' then Raena can see it with her dark vision. Was it that close?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

They all hear the flapping of great wings and run for weapons.

"What was that?"
"It had wings."
"Is that what we're supposed to kill?"
"Will it come back?"

"We're not ready for a fight if it does," Renchant says. "Everyone, grab your gear and the food. Deeper into the tunnels."

They all grab their gear and head in through the shattered door past the initial room and into the deep of the mountain.

Do they get a rest now?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

What now?

MAG (tombstone, rib cage, spell book with hands above it, rocket, broken stones, bones of a creature, winged or cloaked figure, doggie)

is the winged or cloaked figure a statue?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

Cool. Bones litter the floor. Bones of some large creature or animal as well as rib cages of humanoids litter the floor.

Humans?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes

Stone block little the floor as well.

In the gloom they see vaulted arches and a colonnade.

"What is this place?"

"Smell like a battle field of the dead," Garvis says. "There was a war here and these larger creatures made it inside."

Were they riding the large creatures?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes

But they aren't horses... must be something else. Winged creatures?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No

Fast moving creatures?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No +Event: Work hard / Misfortune

Okay then. Work hard makes me think of War Elephants. Wow... cook.

Cool. What's the misfortune?

Deceive

Balance

Ah of course. The room is trapped either that or just unstable. Crumbling blocks from the MAG could also be tumbling blocks.

We'll see if anyone notices. Raena always has her eye out for trouble. Does she see it?

I'll say DC 15.

"Watch out!" she shouts "The entry way. Run!"

They dart further into the tunnels as tons of rock fall down.

I'll say they get adv on DEX save.

DC 12

Otherwise they take damage and maybe get pinned.

They run forward but luckily no one is pinned or hurt (the ADV really helped).

Do the dead rise to attack?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes

Bones twisting together combine and coallesce into a myriad of different forms as Skeletons rise up.

"What is this foul sorcery?" Dosaken grunts, ripping his battle axe off his back again.
Reply
#23
In the center of the room is a statue of some cloaked or winged figure with wings like a cloak. They won't know until they get closer. It's too much lost in gloom right now. Massive columns rise up on either side.

Renchant closes his eyes and sees through the eyes of his owl (it has darkvision for 120' and can see the statue).

Does it appear to be part of the original architecture?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Yes, but it's been defaced.

Did it originally have religious significance?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Yes, but it's now been modified from its original intent.

What was the religious significance?

The original one... MAG

(tentacle, diamond, squid baby, guns, cut hand, magic or sharp scimitar, hammer, star symbol, bowing down man)

Cut hand and bowing makes me think it was a place of healing. But the temple has been defaced.

The original statue is a figure of a beautiful woman, the goddess of wind, Sheeniel. Her wings pulled around like a protective cloak. (She's the goddess of wind, marriage, protection, life, breath etc). This particular hall was once a place of worship. Her eyes have been gouged out and replaced with twin amber stones the chin knocked off and replaced with daggers in some sort of lurid grin.

Renchant made his religion check to know that. (created and modified via chaotic shiny pantheon generator)

Are there recent foot prints in the dust?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes

Oooo. Hmmm. It's possible some cult has set up residence here.

"Look... these foot prints are recent," Raena says.

"Keep your eye on the battle," Dosaken mutters.

"Here they come!"

I'll say the bones are near the statue.

"I can't see anything," Garvis mutters.

Rechant's light spell extends 20' bright, and 20' more dim.

Raena can see 60'. Rechant through his familiar can see 120'. (blue circles show the light radius and darkvision for Raena)
[Image: ZzP5_wfLEV2gSlSPMXe0j48UymLfm9JIG8oKlFUq...rriA=w2400]

A shadow twists out of the statue and slinks off into the darkness, but Renchant sees it through is owl.

Does he know what it is? Arcana he gets a 17 total even with his disadvantage. "Fraezn's take us!" he whispered. "It's a shadow from the spirit realm! Don't let it touch you!"

Dosaken moves to the edge of the bright light, holding his battle axe. Renchant casts mage armor (he got it back with a short rest) and downs a healing potion for the upcoming battle.

(Dosaken is readying an attack if an enemy comes within his range he'll get an attack first)

(Renchant's wounds heal)

Raena sees the closest skeleton and attacks.

Dosaken pulls out his scims and moves next to Dosaken.

Rechant's familiar flies up and perches on a lantern holder on the nearest pillar to survey the battlefield.

The shadow slinks near the edge and tries to get around them not knowing it's perceived.

[Image: t6N7BXR-sxAkupO1ESwYcfguTnnK9aSnmjeoesDt...I3Gw=w2400]

Renchant shouts out a warning detailing its movements, negating the creatures advantage to slink in shadows.

Dosaken moves up cuts down the injured skel that Raena had hit.

Renchant shoots a ray of frost and misses and pulls back near the rubble away from the shadow.

Raeana's arrow hits it, but it only hisses and comes on. Reana pulls back. Garvis and Dosaken engage the Skells on the front lines.

"Dosaken, behind you!" Renchant shouts as the shadow moves up and claws Dosaken from behind. He gasps at the chill touch.

[Image: Iq_X8S9lySzRr-NCLNYaqf245F0QPVUubFjMXfMz...wQEI=w2400]

The skells and the fighters trade blows. Renchant casts Flaming Sphere.

He slams it into the Shadow. Flame and shadow intermingle.

Dosaken spins and slams the axe down onto the shadow and it wreaths around it and dissipates (critical).

Raena's arrow smashes through a skeleton's head, knocking it off (critical) and the bones crumble.

Another skeleton, stabs Dosaken from behind felling the strong warrior. He starts bleeding out on the cold stones.

They continue to attack the skel but with some misses and low damage it won't drop. Renchant rushes to Dosaken's aid and gives him his final healing potion. "You better pay me back, big guy."

Reana drops the final skeleton as it battles Garvis.
Reply
#24
Dosaken climbs to his feat, wavers, and then sits down on a piece of rubble. "Thanks."

The room is silent like a tomb.

They investigate the room and the desecrated statue.

"We could rest here if we bar that door on the far side." Renchant says.

They'll try and do that.

Dosaken and Garvis move rubble and bar the door and settle in for a much needed long rest.

Does anything try to get through the door?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

And they FINALLY get some rest.

They all take a long rest and exhaustion drops down to 1.

When they dashed through the door, did they manage to grab enough wolf meat for an additional meal?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

No, but there's something to eat in here... What is it?

Naturally / Clean

I'll say there's a fresh spring running through here and in the darkness there's some mushrooms they can eat. Yum... not enough to feed them indefinitely, but there are 2d4+2 meals.

7 = 1[d4]+4[d4]+2

7 total meals from shrooms. They'll harvest what they can as they rest up and eat their remaining meat.

While they rest they study the room.

Renchant casts Detect Magic as a ritual.

Does he get anything?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No

"Whatever foul magics that animated these bones has dissipated," he says and moves onto studying the statue.

They had seen foot prints before in the dust. Many footprints?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

More than 1?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes

More than three?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

So two sets of foot prints.

Are the defacements to the statue recently made (same time as the foot prints?)

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

The defacements came much earlier.

They'll settle in for a second long rest. Any interruptions?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No +Event: Control / Outside

They hear some noise from outside of something large flying around. The flying beast, but it can't get to them and apparently, at least from the collapsed section of the room, the party couldn't get to it if the had wanted to, without moving a lot of debris in a time consuming and dangerous way. They'd clearly run out of food before that. They're only option is to get some more rest and then move deeper into the mountain.

Is there anything of value in this room?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No

If there had been anything it's been carried off already... maybe by the two sets of foot prints they saw.

Are the foot prints human adult looking in size?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

And one set of prints is quite large. "Could be a half orc or somethin'" Dosaken spits.

Is there any broken furniture in the room?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No

Just cracked and crumbling columns and the defaced statue that leers at them.

They get one more long rest, recovering from any more exhaustion. Renchant memorizes his spells.

The skeletons were using long rust-cankered weapons and armor.

Is there light filtering in from outside?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yesbut...

It's extremely faint and once they go through the next room, it'll be non-existent.

They'll follow the footprints. That seems the best course for survival.

I'll say the ranger will get adv on survival checks to track while the foot prints are in the dust, unless something else obscures them.

She easily follows the prints.

Do they lead down?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

The door opens to a hallway which ends in stairs that go down deeper into the mountain.

Are there other passageways that branch off?

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No

Where do the footprints lead to? I'll use the MAG.

Chain (descending and ascending), sword breaking other swords, branch with fruit, a notched sword, a flame symbol, another strange vine-like symbol, a gun-like apparatus with cables or cords, a fruit, a flower.

The foot prints already have a two day head start on them.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)