Classic Fantasy D&D 5e - Shadow of the Demon (for lack of a better title)
#21
I'll say Raena gets advantage on survival DC 12 to find the wolf den.

She rolled a 7 with her advantage with her +5 survival = 12. Just in time....

Following the tracks, head bowed against the blowing snow she leads them to the wolve's den.

What is it made out of? I'll use the mag.

(comb, large tree, space ship, dragon, quicksand, target, broken heart, ice, alchemist vial)

The ice could be an ice block or a stone block. I'll say it's an ancient half collapsed building made of stone blocks covered in ice and snow.

Is it a big building?

(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes

Is it part of the keep and cuts through the moutain. Have they found the "other side"? Sounds awesome. I'll say likely.

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

The wolves were using part of it for their shelter, but really, any number of denizens could be in there. They peer through shattered windows like gaping black eyes of a skull staring back.

Are there other tracks of other animals. If so Raena now sees them (she rolled high on perception).

(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No

There aren't any immediate tracks. That's good for them as they can likely get some much needed rest.

Twin towers stand like sentinels and guard a room. Renchant chants and light shines from the tip of his ivory staff. "This will do," he says as they see a lot of ruined furniture they can use for a fire.

The room leads back to a half-broken door.

"How old is this place?"

It's old enough to be ancient stone. Does it predate the kingdoms of Crawean (their current kingdom) and the Kadolan Empire (kingdom to the east and traditional enemies of Crawean)?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

"Older than you, Raena" Renchant says with a cough. "Look at the architecture. This is old Kadolan, probably during the Crawean war of independence."

She nods, "Yes, I see that now. The motifs in the stone work are most illuminating."

"Indeed..."

"Enough of the history lesson," Dosaken drops the Alpha down with a heave and then sags down with it, breathing hard. "Dinner first."

"Dinner is a good idea," Garvis says. "I'll start a fire."

They settle in for a long rest.
Reply
#22
Does anyone disturb them as they cook up a meal of wolf meat and the like?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

Oh hohohh! What's this?

And... and...? Is it the beast?

(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes

Duh dun duhn!

Well that's not good. They're all hurt and exhausted.

I'll say they at least got a short rest in.

Does it attack?

(50/50 | 5[d10]) Nobut... +Event: Oppress / Illusions

Interesting... but it dispels any illusions that this place might be safe.

Did it come through the tunnel / mountain? Unlikely it would prob fit in those passages...

(Unlikely | 5[d10]) No

No. Over the top. It must've been hunting them or the wolves or maybe it smelled the cooking meat.

Does it just fly by?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

They hear the flapping of wings.

Is it night time?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes

They don't get a good look at it unless it's super close 60' then Raena can see it with her dark vision. Was it that close?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

They all hear the flapping of great wings and run for weapons.

"What was that?"
"It had wings."
"Is that what we're supposed to kill?"
"Will it come back?"

"We're not ready for a fight if it does," Renchant says. "Everyone, grab your gear and the food. Deeper into the tunnels."

They all grab their gear and head in through the shattered door past the initial room and into the deep of the mountain.

Do they get a rest now?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

What now?

MAG (tombstone, rib cage, spell book with hands above it, rocket, broken stones, bones of a creature, winged or cloaked figure, doggie)

is the winged or cloaked figure a statue?

(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes

Cool. Bones litter the floor. Bones of some large creature or animal as well as rib cages of humanoids litter the floor.

Humans?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes

Stone block little the floor as well.

In the gloom they see vaulted arches and a colonnade.

"What is this place?"

"Smell like a battle field of the dead," Garvis says. "There was a war here and these larger creatures made it inside."

Were they riding the large creatures?

(Likely | 6[d10]) Yes

But they aren't horses... must be something else. Winged creatures?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No

Fast moving creatures?

(50/50 | 3[d10]) No +Event: Work hard / Misfortune

Okay then. Work hard makes me think of War Elephants. Wow... cook.

Cool. What's the misfortune?

Deceive

Balance

Ah of course. The room is trapped either that or just unstable. Crumbling blocks from the MAG could also be tumbling blocks.

We'll see if anyone notices. Raena always has her eye out for trouble. Does she see it?

I'll say DC 15.

"Watch out!" she shouts "The entry way. Run!"

They dart further into the tunnels as tons of rock fall down.

I'll say they get adv on DEX save.

DC 12

Otherwise they take damage and maybe get pinned.

They run forward but luckily no one is pinned or hurt (the ADV really helped).

Do the dead rise to attack?

(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes

Bones twisting together combine and coallesce into a myriad of different forms as Skeletons rise up.

"What is this foul sorcery?" Dosaken grunts, ripping his battle axe off his back again.
Reply
#23
In the center of the room is a statue of some cloaked or winged figure with wings like a cloak. They won't know until they get closer. It's too much lost in gloom right now. Massive columns rise up on either side.

Renchant closes his eyes and sees through the eyes of his owl (it has darkvision for 120' and can see the statue).

Does it appear to be part of the original architecture?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Yes, but it's been defaced.

Did it originally have religious significance?

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yesbut...

Yes, but it's now been modified from its original intent.

What was the religious significance?

The original one... MAG

(tentacle, diamond, squid baby, guns, cut hand, magic or sharp scimitar, hammer, star symbol, bowing down man)

Cut hand and bowing makes me think it was a place of healing. But the temple has been defaced.

The original statue is a figure of a beautiful woman, the goddess of wind, Sheeniel. Her wings pulled around like a protective cloak. (She's the goddess of wind, marriage, protection, life, breath etc). This particular hall was once a place of worship. Her eyes have been gouged out and replaced with twin amber stones the chin knocked off and replaced with daggers in some sort of lurid grin.

Renchant made his religion check to know that. (created and modified via chaotic shiny pantheon generator)

Are there recent foot prints in the dust?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes

Oooo. Hmmm. It's possible some cult has set up residence here.

"Look... these foot prints are recent," Raena says.

"Keep your eye on the battle," Dosaken mutters.

"Here they come!"

I'll say the bones are near the statue.

"I can't see anything," Garvis mutters.

Rechant's light spell extends 20' bright, and 20' more dim.

Raena can see 60'. Rechant through his familiar can see 120'. (blue circles show the light radius and darkvision for Raena)
[Image: ZzP5_wfLEV2gSlSPMXe0j48UymLfm9JIG8oKlFUq...rriA=w2400]

A shadow twists out of the statue and slinks off into the darkness, but Renchant sees it through is owl.

Does he know what it is? Arcana he gets a 17 total even with his disadvantage. "Fraezn's take us!" he whispered. "It's a shadow from the spirit realm! Don't let it touch you!"

Dosaken moves to the edge of the bright light, holding his battle axe. Renchant casts mage armor (he got it back with a short rest) and downs a healing potion for the upcoming battle.

(Dosaken is readying an attack if an enemy comes within his range he'll get an attack first)

(Renchant's wounds heal)

Raena sees the closest skeleton and attacks.

Dosaken pulls out his scims and moves next to Dosaken.

Rechant's familiar flies up and perches on a lantern holder on the nearest pillar to survey the battlefield.

The shadow slinks near the edge and tries to get around them not knowing it's perceived.

[Image: t6N7BXR-sxAkupO1ESwYcfguTnnK9aSnmjeoesDt...I3Gw=w2400]

Renchant shouts out a warning detailing its movements, negating the creatures advantage to slink in shadows.

Dosaken moves up cuts down the injured skel that Raena had hit.

Renchant shoots a ray of frost and misses and pulls back near the rubble away from the shadow.

Raeana's arrow hits it, but it only hisses and comes on. Reana pulls back. Garvis and Dosaken engage the Skells on the front lines.

"Dosaken, behind you!" Renchant shouts as the shadow moves up and claws Dosaken from behind. He gasps at the chill touch.

[Image: Iq_X8S9lySzRr-NCLNYaqf245F0QPVUubFjMXfMz...wQEI=w2400]

The skells and the fighters trade blows. Renchant casts Flaming Sphere.

He slams it into the Shadow. Flame and shadow intermingle.

Dosaken spins and slams the axe down onto the shadow and it wreaths around it and dissipates (critical).

Raena's arrow smashes through a skeleton's head, knocking it off (critical) and the bones crumble.

Another skeleton, stabs Dosaken from behind felling the strong warrior. He starts bleeding out on the cold stones.

They continue to attack the skel but with some misses and low damage it won't drop. Renchant rushes to Dosaken's aid and gives him his final healing potion. "You better pay me back, big guy."

Reana drops the final skeleton as it battles Garvis.
Reply
#24
Dosaken climbs to his feat, wavers, and then sits down on a piece of rubble. "Thanks."

The room is silent like a tomb.

They investigate the room and the desecrated statue.

"We could rest here if we bar that door on the far side." Renchant says.

They'll try and do that.

Dosaken and Garvis move rubble and bar the door and settle in for a much needed long rest.

Does anything try to get through the door?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

And they FINALLY get some rest.

They all take a long rest and exhaustion drops down to 1.

When they dashed through the door, did they manage to grab enough wolf meat for an additional meal?

(Likely | 4[d10]) Nobut...

No, but there's something to eat in here... What is it?

Naturally / Clean

I'll say there's a fresh spring running through here and in the darkness there's some mushrooms they can eat. Yum... not enough to feed them indefinitely, but there are 2d4+2 meals.

7 = 1[d4]+4[d4]+2

7 total meals from shrooms. They'll harvest what they can as they rest up and eat their remaining meat.

While they rest they study the room.

Renchant casts Detect Magic as a ritual.

Does he get anything?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No

"Whatever foul magics that animated these bones has dissipated," he says and moves onto studying the statue.

They had seen foot prints before in the dust. Many footprints?

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

More than 1?

(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes

More than three?

(Unlikely | 1[d10]) Noand...

So two sets of foot prints.

Are the defacements to the statue recently made (same time as the foot prints?)

(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

The defacements came much earlier.

They'll settle in for a second long rest. Any interruptions?

(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No +Event: Control / Outside

They hear some noise from outside of something large flying around. The flying beast, but it can't get to them and apparently, at least from the collapsed section of the room, the party couldn't get to it if the had wanted to, without moving a lot of debris in a time consuming and dangerous way. They'd clearly run out of food before that. They're only option is to get some more rest and then move deeper into the mountain.

Is there anything of value in this room?

(Unlikely | 2[d10]) No

If there had been anything it's been carried off already... maybe by the two sets of foot prints they saw.

Are the foot prints human adult looking in size?

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yesand...

And one set of prints is quite large. "Could be a half orc or somethin'" Dosaken spits.

Is there any broken furniture in the room?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No

Just cracked and crumbling columns and the defaced statue that leers at them.

They get one more long rest, recovering from any more exhaustion. Renchant memorizes his spells.

The skeletons were using long rust-cankered weapons and armor.

Is there light filtering in from outside?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 7[d10]) Yesbut...

It's extremely faint and once they go through the next room, it'll be non-existent.

They'll follow the footprints. That seems the best course for survival.

I'll say the ranger will get adv on survival checks to track while the foot prints are in the dust, unless something else obscures them.

She easily follows the prints.

Do they lead down?

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

The door opens to a hallway which ends in stairs that go down deeper into the mountain.

Are there other passageways that branch off?

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No

Where do the footprints lead to? I'll use the MAG.

Chain (descending and ascending), sword breaking other swords, branch with fruit, a notched sword, a flame symbol, another strange vine-like symbol, a gun-like apparatus with cables or cords, a fruit, a flower.

The foot prints already have a two day head start on them.
Reply
#25
They follow the footprints. Let me ask the GM some more about the MAG from last post. 


Branch with fruit? Do they come across some kind of subterranean food (fruit)?



(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...



Is it a literal branch with fruit?



(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes



Wow. Is it still good to eat?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...



There are chains ascending and descending...



A lift system.



Does the passageway continue in front of them?



(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...



No but it does if you take a lift up to a higher level. The cavern is huge with vine-like symbols carved into the walls where the vines and and fruit glow softly of their own accord.



Is there active magic?



(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes



Harmful?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 4[d10]) No



Ah, I see. The glyphs were a source of magic food. Pressing your hand and expending a spell slot would yield 1d4 days food, but it too has become corrupted by the defacement above and the putrid stuff that appears smells of rot, bitterness, and crumbles when touched, leaving a sickly paste when touched.



(I need a way of being able to discover these through the eyes of my character... where my characters are as surprised as I am. Not sure how to do that).



Is there a mystical tree in the center of the cavern?



(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...



And it's glowing with a faint light.



Hmmm. Do they readily see the two shapes they've been following at the tree?



(50/50 | 3[d10]) No



Is the tree floating in the air?



(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes



Is that why the two shapes aren't at the tree?



(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...



Did they hear the approaching party and lie in ambush?



(50/50 | 4[d10]) No



I think the two aren't here for the tree...



Maybe because the tree's guarding is here?



(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Negligence / Tactics



Oohhh. I see. They knew of it and went up or down a lift to get around it. Our poor party has not.



What shape does this tree guarding take?



(I'll use the other mag symbols from earlier ... sword breaking other swords, branch with fruit, a notched sword, a flame symbol, a gun-like apparatus with cables or cords. 
Is it a magical construct?



(Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...



Yes, but much of it's magic has dissipated.



This means on the third round, it starts slowing down and has a 20% of dis on attacks for the rest of the encounter. This percentage grows by 10% each round.



Some guardians have an amulet that controls and directs them. Is this one of those?



(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...



And its guardian is insane and undead. What a great combination!



(it's controller I mean)



Can the construct fly?



(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes



Slower than it's base running speed?



(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes



The guardian lurches to its feet, backlit with a sickly green light from a bone white tree with bark the color of a mottled disease.



The tree isn't floating. At first glance it appeared so. It's on a small island in the middle of the cavern, a plateau of rock that extends out of the pit. Around them are a few lifts on chains. 



The guardian, a medium humanoid shrouded in darkness, lurches to its feet, backlit with a sickly green light from a bone white tree it stands in front of. The bark looks like a mottle disease, and the sap appears to be weeping a glowing redish blood. Along the walls, runes and glyphs that look like vines start to glow a pale green. The guardian's head swings towards them and they can feel the hatred emanating from its gaze.



"What is it?" Dosaken asks staring across the black expanse, stepping away from the ledge's edge.



Renchant gets a 12 on his Lore. Is that enough?



(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No



"I... I don't know." Renchant frowns. "But there's a feel to it... a bad feeling."



"Do we go back? I don't like the looks of that one," Garvis says, pulling out his bow. Dosaken does the same.



Renchant shakes his head. "Doubtful. We may have missed some passageway, but I don't think so. There was only this main street that led us here from the other hall. And now there's this." He raised his staff and the light reveals the large cavernous room, mostly natural cavern that descended far below, father than his light could illuminate. Across from them at the same level was the island with the tree and its strange occupant. Nearby, on chains that ascended and descended were two cage-like lift. Across was a passage way higher and another lower. They could go high or low. 



As they considered what to do, the humanoid figure shambled to the tree and its palm came away wet. It then touched something about its neck and there was a flickering flash of light. The feel of wrongness deepened.



"I think it activated some magic," Renchant said.



"Time to finish this," Raena said and in a fluid motion she sent an arrow towards it.



The arrow sinks into it.



"Agreed," Renchant says. "Something foul is amiss." Then chanting, he adds his own attack and shimmering blue discs of energy careen over the edge and slam into the creature. It reals backwards, hissing and clawing at the bark of the tree.



It chants something and the red sap turns into red mystic energy that seeps into a medallion about his chest.



Does it summon the construct?



(Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...



Postpone / Legal matters



A pinrpick of red light expands, twisting and stretching into some sort of opening and another shape, this one quick and agile, a steps out of a nothingness near the tree.



It's lithe looking, like a woman dancer, but with a mask bronze or a head of bronze. There's a faint whirring of gears and wheels as the head rotates 360. It bears a rusty notched shield and tattered leathers.



(Postpone...means it just sits there for a round processing its situation.)



Does the guardian say anything to the party?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...



And they learn something useful... hmmmm.



It snaps off the arrow protruding from its chest. It's voice sounds like dust and crumbling leaves and scraping gravel. "I am the guardian Ven Chaldrin. You have trespassed these hallowed halls... You bear not the mark. Your death is nigh."



Raena's eyes narrow. "I've heard that name..."



Gloomy altered human



"He was once a man... but was changed."



What changed him?



Fight / Disruption



A spell was disrupted.



And?



Negligence / Vehicle



His negligence in rushing a crucial spell, his own hubris brought about his change. It was the vehicle of many innocents' destruction.



That's what she knows...



Have any histories from others escaped the area that she might have heard?



(50/50 | 4[d10]) No



So that's all she knows.



GM Info that I think makes sense:
He came to the tree seeking its healing powers for those he loved and had killed. He hoped it would bring them back to life. He used blood magic from innocents sacrificed at the tree to try to create a potion.



Was the potion successful?



(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...



No but it did do something...



It brought back his loved one into a half life, the spirit was only tenuously bound to the plane and would soon dissipate. In a fit of mad genius he bound the spirit to the tree, corrupting the tree further, haunting the area, and changing himself.



He now protects the tree and the area and will risk no harm to it. Any victims that come his way, he feeds to the tree.



Does the cult reside in the ruined keep?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes



Yes. But are they immediately in the area?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...



They're currently out... seeking some new victims for their nefarious blood sacrifices.


The tree isn't floating. At first glance it appeared so. It's on a small island in the middle of the cavern, a plateau of rock that extends out of the pit.
Reply
#26
The tree isn't floating. At first glance it appeared so. It's actually on a small island in the middle of the cavern, a plateau of rock that extends out of the pit. Around them are a few lifts on chains.

(Photos aren't embedding, so I'll just post links)


Zoomed Out View


The guardian, a medium humanoid shrouded in darkness, lurches to its feet, backlit with a sickly green light from a bone white tree it stands in front of. The bark looks like a mottle disease, and the sap appears to be weeping a glowing redish blood. Along the walls, runes and glyphs that look like vines start to glow a pale green. The guardian's head swings towards them and they can feel the hatred emanating from its gaze.

"What is it?" Dosaken asks staring across the black expanse, stepping away from the ledge's edge.

Renchant gets a 12 on his Lore. Is that enough?


(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No


"I... I don't know." Renchant frowns. "But there's a feel to it... a bad feeling."


"Do we go back? I don't like the looks of that one," Garvis says, pulling out his bow. Dosaken nods and pulls out a javelin.

Renchant shakes his head. "Doubtful. We may have missed some passageway, but I don't think so. There was only this main street that led us here from the other hall. And now there's this." He raised his staff and the light reveals the large cavernous room, mostly natural cavern that descended far below, father than his light could illuminate. Across from them at the same level was the island with the tree and its strange occupant. Nearby, on chains that ascended and descended were two cage-like lift. Across was a passage way higher and another lower. They could go high or low.




As they considered what to do, the humanoid figure shambled to the tree and its palm came away wet. It then touched something about its neck and there was a flickering flash of light. The feel of wrongness deepened.

"I think it activated some magic," Renchant said with a frown.

"Time to finish this," Raena said and in a fluid motion she sent an arrow towards it.

The arrow sinks into it.

"Agreed," Renchant says. "Something foul is amiss." Then chanting, he adds his own attack, and shimmering blue discs of energy careen over the edge and slam into the creature. It reals backwards, hissing and clawing at the bark of the tree.


It chants something and the red sap turns into red mystic energy that seeps into a medallion about his chest.


Does the guardian summon the construct?


(Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...


Postpone / Legal matters


A pinrpick of red light expands, twisting and stretching into some sort of opening and another shape, this one quick and agile, steps out of a nothingness near the tree.


It's lithe looking, like a woman dancer, but with disjointed movements, it bears a bronze face on a head of bronze. There's a faint whirring of gears and wheels as the head rotates 360. It bears a rusty notched shield and tattered leathers.


(Postpone...means it just sits there for a round processing its situation.)


Does the guardian say anything to the party?


(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...


And they learn something useful... hmmmm.

It snaps off the arrow protruding from its chest. It's voice sounds like dust and crumbling leaves and scraping gravel. "I am the guardian Ven Chaldrin. You have trespassed these hallowed halls... You bear not the mark. Your death is nigh."


Raena's eyes narrow. "I've heard that name..."


Gloomy altered human


"He was once a man... but was changed."


What changed him?


Fight / Disruption


A spell was disrupted.


And?


Negligence / Vehicle


His negligence in rushing a crucial spell, his own hubris brought about his change. It was the vehicle of many innocents' destruction.


That's what she knows...


Have any histories from others escaped the area that she might have heard?


(50/50 | 4[d10]) No


So that's all she knows.


GM Info that I think makes sense that the party doesn't know about yet...
He came to the tree seeking its healing powers for those he loved and had killed. He hoped it would bring them back to life. He used blood magic from innocents sacrificed at the tree to try to create a potion.


Was the potion successful?


(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...


No but it did do something...


It brought back his loved one into a half life, the spirit was only tenuously bound to the plane and would soon dissipate. In a fit of mad genius he bound the spirit to the tree, corrupting the tree further, haunting the area, and changing himself.


He now protects the tree and the area and will risk no harm to it. Any victims that come his way, he feeds to the tree.


Does the cult reside in the ruined keep?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 8[d10]) Yes

Yes. But are they immediately in the area?

(Somewhat Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...

They're currently out... seeking some new victims for their nefarious blood sacrifices.




Does Reana want to talk with him?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but...



No but she is curious and so might spare his life to talk. But for now, she hates the evil and the darkness... Back to the fight! Smile



"What is that thing?" Dosaken asks seeing the construct turn its head in a 360 a bluish glow coming from the bronze mask.



The gloomily altered human, hissing and stooped, climbs atop the construct in a piggy-back fashion. "Now! Fly! Attack them!"

Jets of flame ignite from a propulsion pack and the construct, a combination of engineering and magic leaps from the edge, carrying its master atop its back.



Okay... so there's a round where nothing happens and the heroes can act. Then the construct and its insane undead creator will move to engage.



But before that. Roll 1d100 and 20 or lower the construct acts with Disadvantage the rest of the turn.



54 = 54[d100]



(Some of my stuff didn't get saved. The construct is suffering from wear and tear and not being maintained. It has a 20% chance the first round 30% the next round and every round thereafter (30%) to fight the rest of the combat with disadvantage. That might be a good thing... Not sure the party can take it otherwise. We'll see what happens though. Maybe they can run if things get really bad.)


Garvis shoots with his long bow. Dosaken pulls out a javelin and holds his attack for when it gets in range.


Garvi's shot hits the undead creature, but it seems heedless of any damage it's taking.



"Kill them! Kill them all! They are unworthy to come to her!"



Renchants chants some more and more bolts of energy slice into the creature and it shrieks in frustration! (It resists normal weapons, but not magic).



The construct and it's master start to jet across the chasm . It's slow going, but they're about halfway across.



About Halfway Across


More arrows fly out and slam into the undead master. Dosaken steps out onto the cusp of the ledge and throws his javelin at the construct. It bounces off it's head (critical), denting the helm, and one eye starts to flicker, but still it comes on.

(I forgot to roll 30% disadvantage thing for last two rounds).



42 = 42[d100]



5 = 5[d100]



There it goes. They come across the chasm. Bolts of energy and arrows slam into the undead creature. He screams in impotent rage. Dosaken feels the baleful gaze on him. "No!" he screams in return shaking his head to escape the dread (resist fear). He tears the battleaxe from its holder and slams it into the construct's helm, even as it approaches the lip of the ledge (another critical for 27 hits!). Dosaken screams as he hits it over and over, spittle flying into the headless bronze mask. (rage).


They Come Across the Chasm

Then the guardian on its back leaps off, swings its head toward Renchant who also resists his fear gaze and then a massive fist slams into Dosaken. Blood red energy causes muscles to tear. Dosaken screams in pain (necrotic damage too and Dosaken fails his Con save on getting hit. He rolled a 1. Go figure...)

A Massive Fist Slams into Dosaken

The undead creature gloats and then takes an arrow in his back and the point protrudes from his throat. He falls to the ground and the darkness seeps out of him and into the ground, leaving only a pile of tattered rags.



"Kill them...." were its last commands and the construct obeys, laying into Dosaken in a triple multi-attack, a bash to the head with the shield which Dosaken counters and two spear attacks. Dosaken blocks one but the other rakes across his gut. The thing says nothing. It obeys without question. Garvis hits it with a bow. Reana's shot misses. Dosaken misses his axe attack. Renchant casts Flaming Sphere and the sphere of fire moves towards the construct and slams into it from behind. Its leather armor is on fire and part of its bronze face is melting into slag.


The Sphere of Fire Moves

Still it fights on, a bash sends Dosaken reeling backwards, but he doesn't fall more spear thrusts find their mark, and Dosaken goes down, blood pooling and running down the rocks. 


Seconds before Doskaken Goes Down

It then moves to engage Garvis who drops his bow and yanks out his two scimitars. He attacks the construct, bouncing his scimitar off of its forearm but causing little real damage. The sphere slams into its back again, causing more damage and making some of its joints seize up. 

Raena then, draws a bead on it, circling around behind it to get a clear shot and (hunter's mark) her arrow slams into it, piercing a gear knocking it out of joint, snapping gears and pistons, causing the construct to collapse in a clattering heap of gears and springs. The blue magical light that glimmered from one eye slowly begins to fade.

"He's hurt!" Garvis cries rushing first to Dosaken.

Raena joins him, trotting over over, and helps roll the big man over. The spear thrust was at least six inches deep and had pierced a lung. Dosaken lay wheezing on the ground, his face pallid, blood covers the rocks and her hands. 

"He looks bad," Garvis says.

Digging in her belt, Raena pulls out a small vial of amber liquid. She pours it into the large mans mouth (heal potion). But...the wounds do not close. 

"What's this?" she hisses then calls the mage over. "Renchant! He's not getting better!"

Renchant joins them, bustling over, his staff clattering on the stone floor as he drops it to look at the wound. The flesh smells putrid as if it's starting to rot. "I... I don't know." he frowns. "I've not seen its like."


"It's not natural," she says. "Do something!"


"I... I'm no cleric! There's nothing we can do..."


(So, Dosaken has failed two of his three health saves already. He's been hit with a Mummy Rot and it's incurable except through magical healing or something to dispel the magic or the curse."


I don't think he's gonna make it.


Dosaken gives a final shuddering gasp. His flesh turns cold.

"Step away from the body!" Renchant says. The rot starts to creep inwards, faster now that there is no life force to keep it at bay. Already his cheek bones become more prominent.



Okay GM... throw us a bone here. With the death of the undead dude, does the tree and such go back to healing and light and goodness and all that jazz?



(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...



Ah hah! Look at that. We love the GM! Thank you! And what? He's healed?



(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes



Wow just like that? I guess the tree is grateful. Or whomever planted the tree is grateful. There's a backstory there we don't know about.


Is Dosaken weak though?



(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes +Event: Usurp / Energy



Ah hah. Yes... in fact the tree pulled energy from everyone in the room to save his life counteracting the vile rot. Everyone takes a level of Exhaustion -- Back to level 1 (they had removed all levels after two days of rest in this place).



Is there a way to the tree?



(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...



Wow. Lots of "yes, ands". 


Roots thick and deep burst out of the rock. They twist and spin, in rapid growth, forming a bridge that the party can walk across single file. Garvis and Raena help Dosaken across.


That's cool! The sick green has been replaced with a glow like the summer sun.



Grass now sprouts from the island plateau, and the runes and glyphs around the room light up in a brighter healthier light.



Is the tree bearing fruit now?



(Likely | 5[d10]) Yes, but...



Yes, but it'll take time... or it still needs something. For now the root/vine bridge it did and it's healing means it has moved it's energy production in other direction than fruit production.



It sounds like the tree wants to tell something to the party. How does it do that?



Divide / Good



The party goes across, Garvis helps the weakened Dosaken.



Once across, the roots "divide" and retract back leaving the party on the plateau for "good".

"Umm..." Garvis says. "Are we trapped?"

Is the tree well?



(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes



It seems that disposing of Ven Chaldrin has perhaps healed the heart of the cavern.



While they're weakened do those other two show up?



(Unlikely | 5[d10]) No



Okay. Was just checking.



Does the mystic tree do anything now?



(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...



They get the sense it's waiting... for something.



I'll end the scene there.
Reply
#27
Sorry it’s taken me so long to comment on this thread, but I wanted to get caught up so my post reflected were I was in the story.

Despite your disclaimer at the beginning concerning the bare nature of this story, I feel you have definitely included enough narration to fill this out into an enjoyable read, especially the last two adventures. As I’ve mentioned before, one of the reasons I like reading solitaire playthroughs is because I’m curious how the player takes what is generated by GM emulators and random tables and interprets that information within the context of their own story. An advantage of this fast-paced, focus on the mechanics method of posting is that the reader sees a lot of that interpretation at a rapid pace. A disadvantage, however, is that it is much harder to get attached and relate to the characters. For most of the first two adventures, I barely knew their names. It wasn’t until mission three that I finally got a handle on what class each character was, the weapons and equipment each carried, and their fighting style.

You did miss one great opportunity however when you were asking the oracle about the winged creature:

Does it have claws?   Yes
Horns?   Yes, but… Small horns.
Scorch marks?   Yes, but...
tail spike?   Yes, but...
What's with all the "buts"?

Isn’t it obvious?  It a giant fire breathing dragon with multiple butts!  Big Grin
Reply
#28
(01-30-2020, 10:11 PM)Teviko604 Wrote: Isn’t it obvious?  It a giant fire breathing dragon with multiple butts!  Big Grin


Yes, but...

Cut off one and two return in its place.
Reply
#29
(02-01-2020, 03:21 PM)Mark Wrote: Yes, but...

Cut off one and two return in its place.

That's the Greek myth they didn't tell you about in school!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)