Classic Fantasy D&D 5e - Shadow of the Demon (for lack of a better title)
#1
Video 
Game Background
Here we go again with a different solo game.

This time I'm going to do a traditional D&D 5e fantasy in a world of my own making. Most of the world building will be generated on the fly as we go. I've actually been running this on the side for maybe a year now, and I have a good bit built up.

This will be much less narrative-oriented, showcasing the GM results / rolls. I don't own any 5e books, but I've played enough table top with those who do to know more or less how it works, plus there's the SRD and lots of resources out there.

The main purposes of this approach are to:
  • Better figure out how to run 5e in Fantasy Grounds.
  • Understand rules and mechanics of 5e in general.
  • Figure out how to better use RPGSolo with an established ruleset like D&D and to showcase Mark's awesome RPGSolo.
  • Entertain me.
I also hope to share some of the enjoyment of adventure / world creation / character development with you. But I totally understand if you don't find it as interesting as a traditional narrative-heavy thread. That's okay. It's mainly for me. On the flip side, it is easier for me to put together posts. My posts will mostly be unedited data dumps of the rpgsolo play screen, complete with spelling errors, etc.

I've owned the classic version of this tool for many years, but I want to can better learn my way around their new Unity version that's currently in beta).

I've already played out two complete adventures in RPGSolo, taking my party from level 1 to now level 3. I'll post those two adventures first, since the details generated there help to fill out the world and events that happen.

I'll use Fantasy Grounds to hold the character sheets, adjudicate combat and do some skill roles. I prob won't often won't post a lot of the combat rolls here, but once I start on the third adventure, I might post more of that or include screen captures from time to time. I'll use RPGSolo as the GM emulator.

I also might drop this like a hot potato if I grow bored with it or it becomes to cumbersome.


The Party
At the start of the first adventure, the party consists of the following. Abilities were rolled 4d6 dropping the lowest and re-rolling the lowest stat:

Neera - A rather bland and traditional female human rogue with leather armor, a short sword, tanned skin, dark hair braids.  She has a spy background. 
Abilities are Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 16, Char 14. 
AC 14 with 8 HPs at level 1. 
Trained skills are Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth.
(Didn't roll up her personality, ideals, bonds, flaws...)
She ends up dying in the first battle... Don't get too attached.

Valere Orsina - A female human cleric with light blue hair and stunning lavender eyes. She has a soldier (standard bearer) background. She wears chainmail, carries a shield etc.
Abilities are Str 17, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Char 15
AC 
Personality traits: I'm always polite and respectful.
Ideals: Responsibility. I do what I must and obey just authority. (Lawful)
Bonds: Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind.
Flaws: I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
She ends up dying in the first battle... Don't get too attached.

Renchant Pel Nil - A male human Wizard with a Sage (researcher) background. He's tall large, and looming with a beard and robes/clothes with a high collar. He has a persuasive forceful personality.
Abilities are Str 11, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 16. 
AC 13. HPs. Not sure I didn't keep track at level 1. At level 3 he now has 19.
Personality traits: I've read every book in the world's greatest libraries or I like to boast that I have. 
Ideals: No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. (Chaotic). 
Bonds: I've been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question. 
Flaws: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others. 
Trained Skills: Arcana, History, Investigation, Persuasion, Religion.
Primary Attack: +5 ranged (at lvl 3)

Garvis - A male human Fighter with a Folk Hero background. He watched out for the little guy. He has a stern commanding face with a few scars. Shorn dark hair close to the scalp, tanned skin, dark eyes. He's trained to fight with two weapons.
Abilities are: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10.
AC 16. HPs at level 3 are 31.
Personality Traits: Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
Ideals: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. (Chaotic)
Bonds: I have a family, but I have no idea where they are. One day, I hope to see them again.
Flaws: The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, Survival
Primary attack: Two scimitars +5 at level 3

Dosaken - A male human Barbarian with a Spy background. (Joins party at start of Adventure 2 as level 2 Barbarian)He's a large man in his late 30s with bald head up top, with beard and sideburns. He has a huge axe and wears dark clothes.
Abilities are: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 11
AC 14. Hps at level 3 are 33.
Personality Traits: The first thing I do in a new place is note the locations of everything valuable or where such things could be hidden.
Ideals: Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone. (Good)
Bonds: My ill-gotten gains go to support my family.
Flaws: I have a "tell" that reveals when I'm lying. (Fingers twitch or clenched hands)
Trained Skills: Athletics, Deception, Intimidation, Stealth
Primary attack: Greateaxe +5 (at lvl 3)

Raena - A half-elf female Ranger with a noble background. (Joins party at start of Adventure 2 as level 2 Ranger). She has dark hair in a twisted braid and an ivory forearm brace. She has a choker necklace made of silver with a pearl. She wears studded leather armor, carries a longbow, a scimitar and short-sword and dagger.
Abilities are: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14
AC 15. Hps at level 3 are 30.d
Personality Traits: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood
Respect: Respect. Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity. (Good)
Bonds: My loyalty to my sovereign is unwavering. (part of the Royal Ranger Corp)
Flaws: In fact, the world does revolve around me.
Trained Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth, Survival
Primary attack: Longbow +7 (at lvl 3)

[Image: H6Tu7lV4obmtqYrGFiNI1tdLQio0hswEvFl5OijC...dsbI=w2400]
(Those of you who've been around the gaming scene will notice that I'm using the classic Neverwinter Nights portraits for some of the chars. NWN is one of the best computer games out there IMO with loads of custom content to keep you sated for years. Now that I'm done with that tangent, onto the game!)
Reply
#2
Adventure 1

The setting is ramshackle throne room involving high quality puzzle box and ornate mine. Your quest is to trade with the elf fugitive at the ancient rock formation. Trying to stop you is the demon skilled in animal lore.
 
Sounds like we're in a ruin right now. Is the puzzle box what we're supposed to trade with the elf?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And it's magical...
 
Is the rock formation outside?
 
(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Can the demon take physical form in the material world?
 
(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No
 
No, but he can manipulate animals it sounds like.
 
Does he know where we are?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Is the throne room inside?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
below ground?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
Ground level?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
Time of Day
 
24 = 24[d24]
 
Midnight...
 
Is the ancient rock formation far away?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
More than a day's journey?
 
(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
More than a week?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
I'll say three days journey to reach the Red Spire - An ancient red rock formation.
 
Do we know why the demon is after us?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but we think the Elf knows.
 
Current season... 1d12
 
11 = 11[d12]
 
Cold... very late fall and early winter.
 
I'll say we're in a temperate zone.
 
Neera looks around? Is there anything special hidden away?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
We'll see if she can see it.
 
DC higher than 11?
 
(Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Well shucks. Wink
 
Renchant holds up the puzzle box. He wants to know what it does.
 
He has no clue. He pocked it. "We must go."
 
The roof is partially ruined and flurries of snow filter down through the cold snow.
 
"We have the device."
"But what does it do?" Nerra asked.
"Gods only know," Renchants said.
 
"We could ask them," Valere offers.
"We don't have time for prayers," Garvis said.
 
Do they hear the baying of hounds?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
It's quiet... too quiet.
 
Does something attack them?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 3[d10]) No
 
But they're wary.
 
Grumbling, Valere and the others leave the ruined throne room.
 
They don't know what it does. Only that it is magical and that the elf wanted it. He said he'd pay them handsomely (1000 GP split amongst them)
 
Why couldn't the elf just go himself?
 
Break / Art
 
Must be a magical ward or something that would have caused it to shatter had he been the one to remove it from a magical perimeter.
 
Is there snow on the ground?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
A lot?
 
(Very Unlikely | 4[d10]) No
 
No, but it's starting to stick. They just need to travel three days out of this cursed land. To the ... NSEW (1d4)
 
2 = 2[d4]
 
To the south...
 
How did they meet the elf?
 
Release / Competition
 
The elf ought them out and released them from competing quests by giving them some 200 coin up front. The remaining 800 the party will receive upon completion.
 
Are they aware of anyone else searching for the box as well?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
They're not aware of any... but are there any?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but if the secret of the box gets out... that could be a problem.
 
It's midnight. They have the box. They'll actually set up camp within the ruins since the walls offer some protection from the weather.
 
They setup a watch order for two hours each.
 
Does anything happen in the night?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Oooo. What happens?
 
Imitate / Rumour
 
Around the fire, Renchant starts spinning a tale he heard. Is the tale about these ruins?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
What do the tales say?
 
Waste / Failure
 
Delay / Nature
 
Procrastinate / Love
 
It was a story of unrequited love between Yesra Rainfire the famed elf princess of unmatched beauty and Kelton Steelflame a human knight-captain.
 
When she took ill and died, Kelton Steelframe cursed the land that never would rain touch the face of it until his tears stopped flowing.
 
It is said that the drought that followed was what caused the downfall of the ancient kingdom of Rhialla.
 
That it came to ruin and failed.
 
When he died, it's said that rain once again kissed the land but by then it was too late.
 
Are there any threats at night?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
The morning dawns cold and clear, a rosy colored dawn. And as they pack up, and set off on their march, the sun shines off the crisp snow. It's warmer than usual with a light wind.
 
They head south along the road with Neera scouting ahead.
 
Do they encounter anything unusual or threats?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Hmmm. We'll say both of those things...
 
What is the unusual thing and possibly the encounter. I'll use the MAG.
 
(Figure with head being hit, boots, a big eyeball, witch on a broom, a group of persons (zombies?), a man in a smiling mask, a horse, a bee, a sherriff star badge)
 
Are there zombies?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
Is there a group of ppl?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Okay. Hostile?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Undead?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 4[d10]) No
 
Bandits?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
I'll say there's a group of bandits on horses.
 
Are they blocking the road?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but they are taking up the road abreast as they move forward. How many are there?
 
6 = 6[d8]
 
I'll roll their hide. Neera has a passive perception of 15.
 
They rolled a Nat 20 in FG.
 
Do they attack? Hostile means prob likely.
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
She's surprised. I'll get a map.
 
What's unusual about this...?
 
Partially / Dry
 
Where the bandits are, there is no snow on the ground.
 
Is the ground a different type from the rest of the terrain?
 
Yes. They were teleported in possessed by the demon.
 
Does the demon want them to move forward?
 
(50/50 | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Do they drop their bows and draw scim?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Hear voices?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
Who gets the wrap?
 
Do they keep whacking?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes +Event: Care / Nature
 
Going for wizzy?
 
(Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
Was it just subdual damge?
 
(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No
 

[Anyway there was a bunch of fighty fighty stuff that I rolled in FG that level 1 chars didn't do very well against... The bandits were defeated but at a high cost to the players.]


Two members of the party survive. Garvis the Fighter and Renchant the Wizard. 


Neera and Valere were slain!
Reply
#3
Are there any surviving horses?
 
(Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
In fact there are two horses. Yay! They'll rest and bandage and search the bodies for coins or anything.
 
Do they find any coin?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
They'll create a sledge with a bundle of all the gear.
 
Is there a town close by?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes +Event: Carry / Adversities
 
How close within a day's journey?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No
 
So a day and a half.
 
To the south, the direction we're traveling?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And it's right off this main road.
 
We go there. Do we run into any more trouble on the way?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
We run into something beneficial. What is it?
 
Inspect / Pleasures
 
Sounds like a brothel on the way to the town, about a day's journey from the town of Strathmore.
 
They pay for rooms but don't desire company.
 
Do they meet anyone helpful there?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but... +Event: Gratify / Fame
 
No, but their noteriety spreads which will make it easier to get NPCs / additional party members in the next town.
 
Do they arrive without incident to the town?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
What is the incident?
 
Work hard / Dispute
 
Some workers are arguing in the road. About what?
 
Block / Intrigues
 
One is accusing the other of blocking the road. There's an overturned wagon.
 
Must've slipped on the road in the wet cold mud and now another cart and driver is arguing with the overturned wagon.
 
Garvis will try to help.
 
-4 = -1 -1 -1 -1 0
 
DC 10-4 = 6
 
They help move the cart. The worker is grateful.
 
Anything else on the way to the town?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...


They find the town (it's named Strathmore) and buyers for their goods.
Reply
#4
In Strathmore, Renchant will try to barter for a 60% sell price. DC 15. Failure results in buyer only

 
He rolls 10+5 = 15 success.
 
The town of Strathmore has a wooden palisade around it with approximately 50 homes. They sell their goods and seek out an inn.
 
An average inn, the Hogs Tusk.
 
They settle in for the night and Renchat does his spell mems.
 
They all wrest and drink a pint to the fallen comrades.
 
Is there anyone in the inn of interest? Beyond common folk? Meaning, other adventurers?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
Does the night pass without event?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Change / Emotions
 
And they feel a lot better after a good night's rest. They ask where they can hire some help. Does the inn keep know?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
But...?
 
Harm / Portals
 
Punish / Investment
 
There's a mercenary captain who hires out troops to the highest bidder who came through a week ago. He lost a lot of money in gambling. He got so made he smashed down Vincent Thyme's door and demanded payment from a long standing debt he owed. This captain might be interested in hiring out his troops at a low cost.


Renchan and Garvis decide that that would be a smart move and head out east. With their horses they can get to the merc camp in 1/2 a day.
 

Does the demon locate them?

 

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...

 

He knows exactly where they are.

 

Can he control some animals to send at them?

 

(Likely | 3[d10]) No

 

What about something else?

 

(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...

 

yes, but he's lost a lot of his energy from the mental control and teleportation over the bandits, so his response at the moment will be limited.

 

Does he try a limited response?

 

(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...

 

No... but he summons a crow to his bidding and watched the travelers from afar.

 

Crow's stealth to avoid passive perc.

 

18 = 16[d20]+2

 

They don't notice the raven as they approach the merc camp.

 

Do they find the camp and the captain?

 

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

 

They want to hire some guards for the next week.

 

Does the captain want to do that?

 

(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes

 

How many are available for hire? More than two?

 

(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...

 

He wants to hire them but he is loathe to let too many go since...

 

Assist / Opposition

 

he has his own enemies and needs to keep a lot of his people around him. But he'll part with two guards.

 

Is the price cheaper than usual?

 

(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No

 

Consulting a chart, the price will be 15 GP per day per merc. Each merc will have CR 1.

 

Plus the captain demands 50 gp per guard up front.

 

DC is 16.

He rolls 13 +5 = 18.

 

Fine. 25 up front but no lower. They'll pay up for three days each. That's..

45 + 45

25 + 25

 

90 = 45+45

 

140 = 90+50

 

140 total gold

 

129 = 199-70

 

So 70 GP apiece for the three days. They pay up and Norris and Drem join the party. They're cousins from the city of Southmarch.

 

Half up front half upon completion (though it's subtracted now from the chars).

 

They grab their gear and leave. They'll head back to Strathmore. The mercenaries will go ahead of the group. They'll get back to Strathmore by about nightfall.

 

On the road in the afternoon, what's the weather like?

 

It's cloudy and cold. Do Garvis and Renchan have cold weather gear?

 

(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes

 

Do they make it to Strathmore without issue?

 
(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
Reply
#5
They'll stay in the same inn, the Hogs Tusk. They'll be on the second story with a window access. The mercs will be in the room next to them also with a window. The hallway will have a window too. Stairs lead down the the common room and kitchen.
 
Do they pass through the night without issue?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 3[d10]) No +Event: Extravagance / Leadership
 
A snotty noble storms into the inn demanding the best rooms.
"They're already let out milord."
"Well, unlet them. They're mine!"
"But--"
"Do it... or I'll Venchlet here use you for a punching bag."
 
Yes... yes, milord.
 
He comes up and tells them they need to sleep in the common room. He'll give them back half their rent.
 
They'll go down and look at the noble. Who is this nobleman?
 
Abandon / Pain
 
He's fleeing debtors prison but they don't know that. Do they know him though?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
But they've heard of him. A high-riding gambling nobleman by the name of Troutbeck, Lord Troutbeck son of the Earl of Troutbeck.
 
They'll grumble about it, but will let Lord Troutbeck and Venchlet the Strong take the room.
 
The mercs have to move too.
 
It's Troutbeck and two guards, one of whom is Venchlet. The guards take the mercs room and Troutbeck the characters'
 
How is the common room?
 
Move / The spiritual
 
A local medium has come in and is offering readings for new low price of 1 SP.
 
They'll do it.
 
Does the medium start talking about Neera and Valere?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
Does she mention a dark force chasing them?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Do they believe?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
But what?
 
Cruelty / Expectations
 
But they don't like her prophesies for cruel things that are expected to come...
 
Are the mercs superstitious?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
"Bah.."
 
Whose spirit is she talking to?
 
The demon?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
He possesses her. Nice!
 
Her voice changes to a low male sounding gravelly voice. "You will be mine! You cannot escape!"
 
And... she attacks them?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Does she have actual magic?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Yes, but she can't use it while the demon is controlling her?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Does she have anyone with her?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No +Event: Kill / Dreams
 
scim?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
Does the demon release her?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
She collapses to the ground dizzy from the posession and the loss of blood. "What-- happened?"
 
They talk about it and realize this demon is powerful. He can possess people. Hmmm. We must be... cautious.
 
"You said there was a dark force chasing us. I think that was he," Renchant says, studying her.
 
"I felt... something take over. I was in a little box and could not get out."
 
"I think you're safe now." Renchant says. "Perhaps this dark force has limitations."
 
"I felt something in your reading. It was powerful and ancient, but distant."
 
"We'll leave in the morning," Garvis says. "Will you be alright?"
 
Is she okay with them leaving?
 
(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
"I... will be fine, I think," she says.
"Need any help?"
She steps back, frightened. "No no. Please, just go about your business and I'll go about mine." She grabs her coins and leaves the inn, a pale look on her face.
 
The rest of the night passes without incident.
Reply
#6
They begin the final day's journey to meet the elf by the ancient rock formation.
 
Is the weather bad?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
The sun is out and the snow has turned slushy with patches of slippery mud in places. The party starts out before dawn.
 
For a long while they don't meet anyone. They turn off the road, following the directions the elf gave them and they're traveling through hills and woods as they move towards the ancient stone formation.
 
Do they arrive that the stone without incident?
 
(Unlikely | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
They see they're being chased.
 
Some kind of animal...
 
2 Panthers leap off of some craggy rocks and are after them. The party will be able to make two rounds of ranged attacks before they're within melee.
 
They take the panthers at range, longbow and crossbow bolts and Renchants ray of frost dispatching the two snow panthers with relative ease. Thankfully, they never got close.
 
They continue onto the ancient rock.
 
Are they met with resistance again?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
animals again?
 
(Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
Ooo. A magical attack then... let's see...
 
SPIDERS!
 
Does he make it snow too?
 
-1 = +0 -1 +1 -1 0
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Do they have webs out across the trail in the dim twilight?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
They defeated the snow spiders who crept out of green cold branches, but were cut down even as they tried to nibble on Garvis's throat.
 
They arrive at the ancient stone. What is the ancient stone? An ancient stone tower?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No +Event: Excitement / Love
 
We arrive at the ancient stone...
 
Is it night time?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
It's dark and cold.
 
has the weather changed?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
It has changed colder with more wind, but the skies are clear with stars looking down mutely on the scene to unfold.
 
Is the moon out?
 
(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but a strange light is emanating from the ancient rock as they approach.
 
Is the elf there?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
Does he have friends?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
Does he have a weapon on him, that we can see?
 
(Likely | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but there is a sense of power about him.
 
At least Renchant feels it.
 
"That elf has some spell on," he says.
 
Is the elf on the rock?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but he's touching it.
 
"Does that rock have power?" Garvis sasks Renchant.
"No way to tell yet, but it's likely, friend."
 
Do we reach the elf before the demon acts?
 
(Unlikely | 4[d10]) No
 
What form of attack will the demon use?
 
What does the stone do? We don't know, but the GM does and the elf does.
 
Lie / Expectations
 
The ancient stone pillar rises up high in the air. 30' it lies at the bottom and in the middle of a massive ruined arena. Shattered columns lie scattered around. Small trees and wild grass have begun to overtake the arena.
 
It's a scrying stone, if you touch it and activate with with Arcane DC 20 you can use it like a scry spell, however you have to sacrifice a spell slot.
 
The elf is trying to find something out with it. Maybe he's spying on the demon. We don't know.
 
But the demon attacks. What is he going to do?
 
MAG
 
Grenade, Pawn, Wizard Book, Sword --- etc. Sounds like a mage, a fighter, and some mooks, along with alchemist fire attack.
 
Zelfaria the elf is at the ancient stone. She is currently unaware of the fight ensuing about her scrying takes her complete focus. She's using the scrying stone as a focus to dampen the demons power. Each round roll d20. On a 20 she notices the fight and does something to help. All but lvl 2 and 1 spells have been used up in her fight against those seeking her and her own seeking of the demon.
 
They two groups haven't noticed each other yet, but that will prob change shortly.
 
The owl is flying up above ahead. It tries to spot the enemy?
 
If the kobolds all die, after 1 round on a 15 or higher, 1d3 more Kobolds appear until Damaerel (enemy Drow Mage) is slain, KOd, or flees.
 
The owl familiar of Renchant detects Damaerel and Tenvor (enemy fighter with a great sword / leather armor with Damaerel) and conveys the info to Renchant.
 
Renchant is hidden -- 
Koblods are hidden --
Everyone else sees each other.
 
Does Damarel have a healing potion?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes +Event: Betray / Prison
 
Damarel casts Darkness. The guards. Do they push forward?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
One of the merc guards goes down in the ensuing fight with Damerel and the kobolds but a potion from Garvis revives him. The battle is over, what happens now?
 
Does the demon have enough strength to attack again?
 
(Unlikely | 1[d10]) No, and... +Event: Triumph / Joy
 
They celebrate their victory! Huzzzah!
 
They give the puzzle box to Zelfaria. She is much pleased. She rewards them with the remaining 800 promised gold and says she may have some more tasks for them if they're interested.
 
Is Demareal carrying gold?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...
 
Renchant at Strathmore identifies the Amulet of Korvis. What is this strange device? It's a red gem (ruby) inset in a golden amulet on a gold chain.
 
What does it do?
 
Antagonise / Home
 
This allows you to imbue a feeling of intense itchiness as a touch attack once per day. Users make a CON saving through vs DC 10 + the wielder's Int bonus. Otherwise they fall prone scratching themselves all over and screaming.

They return to Strathmore. End of Adventure 1. I'm not sure when they made level 2. It might have been before this, after the spiders, but for sure after this final battle they reached. Level 2 at this point.
Reply
#7
Adventure 2

Back at Strathmore in the Hogs Tusk inn. Two weeks later.

Do any of the mercenaries want to becomes PCs?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No

They depart their contract fulfilled.

Is there a traveling cleric in town?
 
(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
No, and there won't be for some time because the church is...
 
Heal / Success
 
Doing a lot of healing.
 
Why? A battle?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
A plague...?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Three members of the royal family were attacked and nearly killed by assassins.
 
Sounds like they'd be in a major city. Southmarch?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Is it the capital?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
It's a new capital.
 
Was there a civil war?
 
(50/50 | 3[d10]) No +Event: Carry / Plans
 
Did a fire destroy the old capital?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes
 
What caused it?
 
Release / Joy
 
Arsonists.... great.
 
The old capital was named...Knife’s Edge. It's now mostly burned out save for a few stone building that survived.
 
Southmarch is an established city and the royal family did visit there in the summer months but now they're there for good since Knife’s Edge was wiped out.
 
Are they going to rebuild Southmarch?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
It'll take a long time 10+ years to rebuild, so for now, this is the temporary capital.
 
Taxes have gone up to pay for the rebuilding.
 
Why does Strathmore have palisades?
 
There must have been some kind of problem with bandits, or goblins or orcs or something... what was it?
 
MAG shows cloaked guys with bows arrows, axes. Sounds like there's a bandit enclave somewhere nearby.
 
Is Knife's Edge close to Southmarch?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
About a week's travel between the two cities.

Adventure Setup
 
And what happens next?
 
MAG to the rescue. Cracked stone, glass globe, spiked vine, meats - feast?, barbed arrow, sword dripping blood, a heart organ, love in chains
 
Who is in charge of the town of Strathmore?
 
So... an upper-class noble woman was murdered in Strathmore. Her heart was removed. It occurred during a holiday feast. Rich foods (meats) were on the table. Nearby, a blade was found sticky with blood and her open chest cavity. 
Nearby, other family members have been slain by barbed arrows. The table they were eating on and the flagstones beneath it are cracked and blackened. A glass chandelier twinkles rose-colored nights down on the macabre scene.
 
Were the characters nearby when it happened?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
They were at the Hog's Tusk inn at the time.
 
The town guard. Were they nearby at the time?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
So whomever did this was probably very good at stealth. Were they alert at the time?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Very alert. It sounds like the victim may have been expecting an attack. Any notes or journal entries?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but here is a name scrawled in blood. What does it say?
 
Quarrelsomely / Mighty
 
Is it in common?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes +Event: Spy / Food
 
Among the food, a name is written in blood from the woman's husband who died from an arrow wound and bled out. It's scrawled on the wall. It's the name of a faction of thieves, cuthroats, and bandits who have vowed to overthrow the nobility and set up a bandit kings in Strathmore. It says, "The Deciders".
 
The mayor of Strathmore asks the PCs to get involved as the town guard is stretched thin guarding the town and surrounding roads.
 
Mayor's name is Krellia.
 
Who was the family that was slain?
 
The Oromer family. Person who had heart cut out was named Elesa.
 
Is there anything else odd in the room?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but... +Event: Extravagance / Leadership
 
An acceptance letter for a high level political post in the court of the king is on the desk.
 
Were all the family slain?
 
(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
Their older children were slain, but their youngest child, a girl named Yeva was apparently kidnapped by whomever did this.
 
The letter is half written with spilled ink. It looks like it was interrupted.
 
Are any of the doors or windows forced?
 
(50/50 | 6[d10]) Yes, but...
 
Only slightly. It's hard to notice but we'll say Renchant's familiar, the owl, notices it.
 
Is the Mayor offering them money to do it?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And Krellia does not want this to look bad for her. She has gathered a significant sum from the populace who are scared at wits end that this could have happened under the watchful guises of the guards.
 
How much is she offering. More than 500 gp?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
 
More than 1000 gp?
 
(Unlikely | 3[d10]) No +Event: Develop / Extravagance
 
800 gp in total. She'll give the chars 100 gp each to get started.
 
Are there other people who have skills who want to help track them down and join the party?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Right on!
 
1 = 1[d12]
 
A hulking man named Dosaken (Barbarian).
 
He's an older man in his late 30s. His motivation? "I lost my daughter to raiders and pirates a decade ago. I've made a vow to protect innocents when I can. And plus I could use the funds."
 
5 = 5[d12]
 
4 = 4[d12]
 
An elven woman named Raena. (Ranger) She has dark hair in a twisted braid and an ivory forearm brace. She has a choker necklace made of silver with a pearl.

"I'll help." 

what's her motivation?
 
Desert / Disruption
 
To disrupt the plans of the bandits... weee. Makes sense with her backstory. She's part of the royal ranger corp and is committed to defending the realm from threats.
 
Does Renchant see anything arcane in the crime scene?
 
(50/50 | 7[d10]) Yes
 
"magic was used here."
 
Was it illusion?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 7[d10]) Yes +Event: Cruelty / Riches
 
Guards said there was a
 
3 = 3[d12]
 
Woman who visited the family and had a chest with gold in it. But the gold pieces eventually disappeared.
 
Did the woman stay at the inn?
 
(50/50 | 4[d10]) No
 
What did she look like?
 
Abnormally / Defeated
 
She appeared disfigured.
 
what kind of disfigurment?
 
Happily / Good
 
A part of her face muscles didn't work.
 
Age?
 
17 = 17[d100]
 
Age 37 we'll say- ish...
 
What was the name she gave?
 
Thenas
 
Why was the floor blacked and cracked?
 
Firebolt?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Trick / Tension

Whomever did this is not some minor apprentice.
Reply
#8
[Had a bunch of content I rolled up in RPGSolo that got lost. Below is the recap.]

The party looked around outside and found some boot prints. Whomever attacked wasn't working alone.
They matched boots from a dealer in town. 
He was questioned and turns out he was threatened by a group called "The Deciders". They're a group of bandits and cuthroats trying to set themselves up as a new military power in the area to set a bandit king on the throne. Bootmaker's family is in danger if he tells.
He told the party who said they'd protect him. 
The man who threatened him used to live in Strathmore. His name was Myly. He was a common thief and ne'er-do-well, a foot pad who went to the big city and recruited a gang of disillusioned and impressionable people.
 
While Myly was in Strathmore recently, he made several visits to another man in prison (guards didn't know who Myly was since they were new and he went by a diff name). But the desc the chars gave matched.
 
The man in prison is Vir. He's a dangerous assassin and master of disguise. It is suspected that he was behind the recent attacks on the royal family and under royal summons, he is to be transported to Southmarch. A royal guard will meet up with him halfway. The party thinks Myly might be trying to rescue him and they've made a deal with the mayor to pose as guards of the prison wagon train going to Southmarch. 


The party decides to intercept the bandits before he can be sprung and capture Myly and question him. Under interrogation, he'll reveal the bandit hideout's location in the countryside which can then be stomped out for good.

They travel south with the prison guards. 

(Myly and a group of thugs and cutthroats springs an ambush some days south where the road moves between two hills. With the party helping the royal guards, the battle goes against Myly and his ambushers.)

Myly sees the battle has turned against him. Will he flee?
 

(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Violate / War

 

I'm not dyin' for nutthin'. 

He tries to run

But the heroes subdue him with clubs to the head and leg shots. They apply heading when a critical almost takes him out.

 

*healing

 

How many days have they been out when the bandits attacked?

 
4 = 4[d4]
Reply
#9
There are two more days of travel south before they reach the town of... (wait for it...) Inoulan Pass. Inolulan Pass Town is a large village that outfits travelers for the long journey through the Inolulan mountains.
 
They arrive at the town, what is it like?
 
From Chaotic Shiny:


Medieval City Generator


Size: above average
Walls: none
Layout: poorly defined quarters


Attractions: fountains, well-stocked merchants and lavish temples
Famous For: clerics and pickpockets
Nearest Tavern: halfway across town


Guards: many
Locals: somewhat shy
Crime: somewhat high Economic Base: fishing
Main Catch: trout
Economy: very weak but stable


Government: several nominally 'elected' officials
Major Influence: popular opinion
Corruption: somewhat high


Religious Influence: average


Streets: smell of cooking food
Buildings: have small windows


Noteable Locals


The flamboyant master artisan who has dangerous ideas. She has more allies than enemies. Rumors say that she strongly dislikes royalty. She can usually be found downtown. 


The suave guard captain who is openly feared by the commoners. She has few open enemies. Rumors say that she would like to deal with scholars. She can usually be found downtown. 


The young noble who can often be found in bad company. He seems to have many allies. Rumors say that he wants to help merchants. He can usually be found in a tavern. 


The obnoxious royal who someone seems to be blackmailing. He seems to have many allies. Rumors say that he has some problems with master artisans. He can usually be found at the market.
 
Fishing takes place along the river and the lake near the town. Lots of trout comes in. The smell of cooked food greets them.

--
 
Have the king's guard arrived yet? They told us to meet them at the central stockade.
 
(Somewhat Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
"Woah, lots of guards. Is this Vir guy really that important?" Dosaken asks.
 
Is that why they're beefed up with so many numbers?
 
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes +Event: Propose / Enemies
 
"We'll take it from here," a burly guard says and the man Vir is pulled out in shackles as the guards ring around him.
 
It's clear this man has made lots of enemies as people begin to throw food at him. Some reaching for rocks.
 
The guards pull out shields and block the oncoming debris. Others keep the crowds away wit spears etc.
 
Do they maintain order?
 
(Likely | 3[d10]) No
 
The crowd quickly grows as the news spreads of who this really is.
 
The characters have Myly with them. He's slung over a horse and hog tied.
 
Do any guards question them about Myly?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
"Who is this?"
"Myly," Renchant says. "We believe he's behind an attack in Strathmor that killed a woman and her family and kidnapped her daughter."
 
Do the guards request that the chars hand over Myly as well?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No
 
Seeing the crowds grow, the seargent waves them away and runs to stem the flow of humanity.
 
Pretty soon people are fighting with the guards in the streets.
 
Does Vir have allies who try to take advantage of it?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
We'll see if the chars notice. It's passive perception.
 
These allies of Vir, have a default of 4 stealth. Do any have higher?
 
(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
The party spots them making their way to the prison wagon.
 
They roll an 8 so 12 total.
 
"There's a group making their way, see?"
"And they're using the distraction of the populace."
"Looks like a rescue attempt."
 
Do the guards notice them?
 
Yes they do. But can they reach them in time?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 2[d10]) No
 
The crowd is chanting. Some are throwing things at the guards.
 
There's a man on a nearby platform with a raised fist. 
"Down with the royals! Down with the King's Guards!"
 
"Lots of unrest here," Doskaen muses batting away a man who gets too close.
 
"I'm not letting them get to Vir!" Raena says. "Dosaken, you get to the prison cart and stave off those men."
 
How far away is the flamboyant master artisan with dangerous ideas?
 
182 = 87[d100]+47[d100]+48[d100]
 
Raena unlimbers her bow.
 
and fits an arrow as Dosaken moves off.
 
Garvis pulls out his own long bow and nods. He helps Raena atop the wagon to get out of the crowds' press.
 
They both fit arrows and aim at the man. "If we kill him it's murder," 
"Not in my book, Raena says. My loyalty is to my soverign, the king and his family.
 
"He's the one stirring up this crowd against the guards. If he isn't stopped, real violence is going to break out."
 
I need to roll for Garvi's back story here. His Flaw has "The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed."
 
I need to know if that Tyrant is the king. Is it?
 
(Somewhat Unlikely | 5[d10]) No +Event: Open / Fears
 
It's someone else. Okay. Is Garvis even from this kingdom, the Kingdom of Craewan?
 
(50/50 | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
He shrugs... "Okay, as long as this doesn't get thrown into prison or worse."
 
He fit his own arrow.
 
Meanwhile...
 
Dosaken is large and shoves through the crowd. How easily... DC 15 to get to the prison wagon before the crowd does.
 
How many are there at the wagon? 1d6
 
Rolled a 3.
 
The crowd surged around the prison wagon. They've pushed guards aside and begin rocking the wagon. Some shouting to kill him. Yet three others jump up to the wagon and... (how do they plan to get him out)?
 
MAG shows a hammer and a blade. I think they're trying to break the lock.
 
They rolled a 10... I'll say the DC is 20 (it's a pretty good lock). They have a STR bonus of 2.
 
Dosaken is going to try to get to them before they get another attempt.
 
He does He rolled a 17 (+3 str mod) = 20
 
Dosaken growls and shoves people out of the way, some he bats aside with ham-like fists and the haft of his axe.
 
People begin pulling back from him. The 3 see him approach. Do they stay to try and get Vir out?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 6[d10]) Yes
 
One of them keeps working on the door. "Stop him," he growls to the other two and they hop down and draw blades. The crowd seeing steel, cries out and backs away.
 
...meanwhile...
 
Myly... is he conscious?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes +Event: Lie / Outside
 
The drubbing he took has left him black and blue and that arrow shot to his leg has cut his movement in half, but he's conscious. He tries to steathily escape from his bonds.
 
We'll see if Renchant notices.
 
We'll say ppl are pressing around him. He's getting nervous so he casts Mage Armor.
 
Myly's stealth roll. 1d20 + 5
 
16 = 11[d20]+5
 
Renchant does not notice. The crafty man, skillfully wriggles in his bonds.
 
DC is 17. I'll give him his prof. bonus since he's a thief and has done this kind of thing before a few times.
 
24 = 19[d20]+5
 
And he wriggles out of the bonds on his hands.
 
With his hands free, he swings his feet off the horse and hops over to where the supplies are kept (and the weapons from the bandits)
Reply
#10
--- meanwhile ---
On the count of 3. 1, 2, 3....
Raena and Garvis both loose their arrows.
 
They're both at disadvantage due to range.
 
The flamboyant artisan has DC 12 total.
 
Both arrows arc overhead slashing over the man chanting and roiling the crowd.
 
one comes close enough to stick in the wall by his leg (Raena got 11 total).
 
Does he leap off the balcony / platform and run away?
 
(50/50 | 2[d10]) No +Event: Carry / Business
 
No, he carries on with his business... I guess he's a bit of a fanatic.
 
Does he spot them atop the wagon?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Does he get the crowd involved against them?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
"Those two!" He screams, spittle flying from his mouth, his feathered cap falling to the ground. "They're with the royals! They're trying to kill me. Stop them!"
 
The crowd is already roiled up.
 
Are the guards still out of control?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Some of them rush towards the wagon where Raena and Garvis are. Renchant is down by that wagon with the horses etc.
 
--- back to Dosaken ---
 
Two men rush towards him.
 
I'll use the bandit stats.
 
Dosaken wins init (9 vs 7). He goes first with a growl he rages and attacks one with his axe.
 
It takes Dosaken 4 rounds to drop the two bandits. That's four rounds the man works at freeing Vir.
 
He whacks at the lock with a hammer...
 
But can't break through. Dosaken advances on him...
 
Does the bandit flee?
 
(Likely | 9[d10]) Yes
 
Jumping away he darts into the crowd.
 
Dosaken will try to follow.
 
Contest of bandit's DEX vs Dosaken's STR
 
It's a tie. Do they make it through the press of the crowd?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
And the bandit darts into a deserted alley way...
 
Dosaken follows.
 
--- meanwhile ---
 
Does Mylo find his daggers?
 
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but he finds a scimitar. He slices through his bonds.
 
Is Renchant still distracted?
 
(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Yes, he's having to deal with the crowd. Seeing them rush towards, him he begins to chant... thunderwave!
 
Is Myly in the blast range?
 
(50/50 | 10[d10]) Yes, and... +Event: Adjourn / Opposition
 
and he doesn't see it coming... so disadvantage on save.
 
Myly gets blown back off his feet and smashes into a crate.
 
He's wounded and angry. Does he attack Renchant?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 2[d10]) No
 
The crowd lay battered and unconscious as the wave of force erupts outward sending bodies flying and skidding across the cobbles. Myly picks himself up; he grimaces and limps away into the crowd.
 
Renchant bites of the cap on a small vial and chugs it tossing it underfoot on the cobbles. Potion of Healing.
 
Does the crowd break up now? With magic getting tossed about and Doskane swinging his big axe around. It's SL I think.
 
(Somewhat Likely | 4[d10]) No, but...
 
No, but they're starting to break. Fighting guards is one thing. Fighting the strange mystic magicks is something else entirely.
 
-- Raena and Garvis --
They attempt to hit the man again. They both succeed even with DIS and he takes a total of 18 HPs.
 
Two arrows embed in his chest and the flamboyant artisan trouble maker falls off the balcony onto the cobbles below. The commoners scream.
 
Do they flee now?
 
(Likely | 7[d10]) Yes
 
They finally rush away, leaving the injured and fallen moaning or bleeding or dying in the streets.
 
Myly flees with them.
 
We'll do his stealth again.
 
7 = 2[d20]+5
 
Renchant notices him. He shouts and points!
 
"He's getting away! Myly!"
 
They shoot. One arrow slams into a shoulder.
 
Can they go again before he gets away?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 8[d10]) Yes
 
Does Myly get away now?
 
Another bolt from Renchant slammed into him as well and he falls heavily against the side of a building, his hands slick with blood.
 
Does he get away?
 
(Somewhat Likely | 1[d10]) No, and...
 
A guard claps him on the shoulder.
 
Tries to knock aside his weapon but misses. Myly curses and disengages.
 
Does he get around the corner?
 
(Likely | 10[d10]) Yes, and...
 
Yes and he disappears from view.
 
"After him! He can't have gone far," Renchant says and darts after him.
 
Myly stealth...
 
21 = 16[d20]+5
 
Dude... good roll.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)